Kids Seats

Jpez

Down on the left!
I was waiting for that... :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, seems a sketchy idea. I don't need to have kids to understand physics and the physiology and developmental strength of toddler skulls and necks...
Like I’ve said before. You ride well within your limits. No ones sending road gaps with precious Charlie on board. Single track Up to blue trails I know well is my limit with the kid. If something proves sketchy I slow down. I’ve never been in a situation where I felt that could have gone bad with kiddo on board.
Anyone else got anything to add to help @Haakon stop biting his nails over this?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So you wouldnt be sending the drop on Old Duffy? Glad to hear it.

Obviously I should just shrug and let Darwin sort it out, but it seems a bit unfair to the kid.

Jpez

Down on the left!
No idea who Old Duffy is. Sounds like a nice bloke.

I suggest though you just go back to your constant whining about your shoulder, ribs, latest cold, pneumonia, tradies and whatever else is upsetting you at that particular moment in time and let us mums, dads and kids have some fun.
I’m pretty certain whoever coined the term killjoy had you firmly in mind.

Last edited:

Haakon

lol. kill being the operative part of that sentence ;)

Seriously though, statistically speaking you're likely to come off at some point - relying on that not happening just suggests the consequences havent been thought through. Maybe you have.

Don’t get all shitty like you know best - I’m just inquiring if this is really a good idea. Physics doesn’t change when you’re a parent. Once upon a time it was considered fine to drive around with the kid on your lap.

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
lol. kill being the operative part of that sentence ;)

Seriously though, statistically speaking you're likely to come off at some point - relying on that not happening just suggests the consequences havent been thought through. Maybe you have.

Don’t get all shitty like you know best - I’m just inquiring if this is really a good idea. Physics doesn’t change when you’re a parent. Once upon a time it was considered fine to drive around with the kid on your lap.
Ok

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Like I’ve said before. You ride well within your limits. No ones sending road gaps with precious Charlie on board. Single track Up to blue trails I know well is my limit with the kid. If something proves sketchy I slow down. I’ve never been in a situation where I felt that could have gone bad with kiddo on board.
Anyone else got anything to add to help @Haakon stop biting his nails over this?
Husband mainly rode green and blue trails with our kid on a Shotgun seat. And we only rode smooth paved/gravel trails when the boy was in a Weeride.
When the boy was about 3.5 they rode a black trail - slowly and all b-lines (so I'm told), no crazy stuff. Husband has the reflexes of a cat but he only ever rides within his limits when riding with our kid.

slowmick

38-39"
In the event of a crash the parent will come off much worse than the kid as they will hold the bars or the kid and have little regard for themselves. Kinda of like you crashing still holding the bars - laying on the ground wondering what the fuck happened.

Any off road requires a dropper so that you can stand up at any point. And never mount a bell on the right hand side. A 3 year can pull on a hydro brake just fine when you least expect it...

treble

Likes Dirt
Thanks all for the advice. I've got a fair idea what Im looking for now. Gonna wait a bit until i'm actually able to step foot in a shop and take a closer look at these things.

For the Helen Lovejoys among us. I dont think anyone is suggesting these things are to be used while doing any form of serious mountain biking. Im looking to putt around the walking/bike paths and gravel "tracks"around the house. Given that would take about 5% of most experienced riders ability Id say the statistics look fine.

Haakon

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I must say, I have mixed feelings about these macride style seats being marketed for MTBing. They're cool for paths etc for kids, say 3+ who won't get too tired to hang on.

I'm not an old woman like @Haakon though so every family can make their own choices.

Haakon

I must say, I have mixed feelings about these macride style seats being marketed for MTBing. They're cool for paths etc for kids, say 3+ who won't get too tired to hang on.

I'm not an old woman like @Haakon though so every family can make their own choices.

treble

Likes Dirt
page 69 of this https://s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws...nberra_Mountain_Bike_Report_December_2019.pdf
suggests some are. This guy is a complete knob- ive seen two blokes carted off this drop in an ambulance. They'd be calling the coroner for the kid...
Sorry I should have been more clear:
I dont think anyone WITH HALF A BRAIN is suggesting these things are to be used while doing any form of serious mountain biking.
But that guy in the photo is also wearing a skate helmet with speed-dealers and what look to either be shin-guards or keepads around his shins :rolleyes: So yeah....
Also. in what universe is that a 'Drop'? it's a couple of small rocks at best.

Haakon

Sorry I should have been more clear:

But that guy in the photo is also wearing a skate helmet with speed-dealers and what look to either be shin-guards or keepads around his shins :rolleyes: So yeah....
Also. in what universe is that a 'Drop'? it's a couple of small rocks at best.
There is more to that drop than is obvious - it lands on a slope and is a lot bigger than it looks in that photo. It’s got a big black diamond warning sign on it for a reason.

goobags

Likes Dirt
I reckon I have a better chance of stacking going up a kerb with my daughter in the wee rider than stacking out on single track. It’s always the simple stuff I seem to bugger up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treble

Likes Dirt
I currently have a yepp mini for my youngest who is around 21 months and it's starting to get too small. It limits steering a bit too, from memory not as bad as the weeride (could be wrong though). Is a good choice for a young one, had it from around 1 year old
Digging this thread back up.
I have been looking at the Yepp minis. I noticed in the manual it says you need 25mm of spare steerer to attach the mount. Is anyone who owns one of these able to confirm that you need exacly 25mm? could you get away with a bit less? I've probably got closer to 20mm spare.

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
Digging this thread back up.
I have been looking at the Yepp minis. I noticed in the manual it says you need 25mm of spare steerer to attach the mount. Is anyone who owns one of these able to confirm that you need exacly 25mm? could you get away with a bit less? I've probably got closer to 20mm spare.
I'm actually taking a mount off my bike tonight so I'll measure it up for you an take a couple of pics. I ended up buying an old single bolt Funn stem to get the collar to fit properly.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
This guy is a complete knob- ive seen two blokes carted off this drop in an ambulance. They'd be calling the coroner for the kid...
What a douche. Who approves that photos for a report as well? That kid needs a full face helmet.
(Whoops. Quote dig. Carry on.)

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
page 69 of this https://s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws...nberra_Mountain_Bike_Report_December_2019.pdf
suggests some are. This guy is a complete knob- ive seen two blokes carted off this drop in an ambulance. They'd be calling the coroner for the kid...
Yeah, that's bloody dumb.
My husband didn't hit drops with our boy, roll-overs sure, and only tech stuff that was well within his abilities. When I say he admitted to doing a black diamond trail, it was one that is such because of having jump lines - which he took the b-lines around.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I'm actually taking a mount off my bike tonight so I'll measure it up for you an take a couple of pics. I ended up buying an old single bolt Funn stem to get the collar to fit properly.
I got it on with less using one of these: https://www.thule.com/en-au/child-b...eats/thule-yepp-mini-ahead-adapter-_-12020402

It's just a few mm of steel that sits on the steerer, with the u-bolt going around the stem. Keep in mind though, that requires a decent length stem (not a 50mm one for sure), and a round section on it. I had a 70mm square stem on my bike, so had to fashion up a replacement u-bolt with more room

With that config, the seat steers with the handlebars so it's quite a different feel. The leg supports also run into the top tube, limiting available steering arc. Neither were an issue for me, as I just used it for cruising down the bikeway, but might hinder things on tighter turns or loose conditions. Broad shoulders are also a bit of a requirement so you can reach around them comfortably.

Overall, my kid loved it. Being up front was great as he got a view & a breeze. I tried him on a back mount once on a rental bike and he hated it, so something to be said for this arrangement. Once he got too big for it, he was on his own bike anyway.

iconic

Likes Dirt
As above I've got the thin one which is only 2mm or so, and yes needs a longer stem to clear the bolts, I have a 70mm installed too

Sent from my T780H using Tapatalk