Kinglake WTF!!

captainmorgan

Likes Dirt
I was up at Kinglake today. I haven't been there for a while. I've noticed that some idiots have decided to cut down a few trees an make some of the dodgiest north shore I've ever seen! When will people learn.
I'm not too much against north shore, but if you're going to built it
A - Don't cut down trees
B - Make it stable

This stuff is like a trampoline! The wood that's been used is untreated pine, which I will give a few months until it starts to rot. If you must build it, do it properly! I can just see a bunch of teenage kids building this stuff.
Has anyone else seen it? What do you think?

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I was out there today aswell. I agree with you about the cutting down trees and building unstable ramps. Infact they shouldnt build ramps at all... Not unless it is really needed.. Having ramps for no reason randomly placed on a dh track really suck.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw it being built last weekend, as it turns out its not kids building it, they are 30+ middle of the road DH riders with not a lot of idea on track building. I told them it's not the best idea and got some very blank looks on faces, it would easily be pulled down if it becomes any more of an issue.
We also saw some other guys building some drops and NS just before the last section of the track, they were pokey little drops to flat with no run in or out, I wonder sometimes what goes through their head, it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out they will be pox to ride but they continue to build mickey mouse crap.

On another note we have been doing some track work without any wood, fixed the double at the bottom by widening the landing, put in a couple of more berms in key spots in the fast 2nd section and widened/armoured the track just before the rock drop in the 2nd section. We do have plans to continue to clean up the track and to build more berms, maybe even a new jump or two, I hope this is ok with all the track riders, we would like to do 3 or 4 day sessions of work on the track before summer.

I love that track, its close to home and is super fun to ride. With a little more work it could be one of the best tracks in Vic, if it already isn't.
If people are going to build something out there make it work for all of us and if I think NS will ruin what we have then I'm sure it will be pulled down, we are definately not anti NS ( see Prezzo NS thread ), just needs to be done properly. Also try not to build any more lines in the top section, it has been butchered enough.

Last edited:

captainmorgan

Likes Dirt
If the guys building the ewok village up the top are 30+, then that surprises me. You would think someone of that age would have at least half a clue about building and another half a clue that it's probably not the best idea.
I agree, no more lines should be build up the top. I was one of the original builders of that part and now it's starting to become a maze of shortcuts.
I noticed the ladder drops at the bottom, they look better quality than the top stuff, but they go nowhere. If you are going to put stuff in like that, plan out the track first, like where it's going to go.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the guys building the ewok village up the top are 30+, then that surprises me. You would think someone of that age would have at least half a clue about building and another half a clue that it's probably not the best idea.
I agree, no more lines should be build up the top. I was one of the original builders of that part and now it's starting to become a maze of shortcuts.
I noticed the ladder drops at the bottom, they look better quality than the top stuff, but they go nowhere. If you are going to put stuff in like that, plan out the track first, like where it's going to go.
The guys building at the top seemed to be fairly inexperienced riders who are new to track building, obviously with not a lot of common sense, the guys building at the bottom seemed to have some experience but little imagination as to how their work would actually ride. At the moment every man and his dog are constructing new lines out there and for me personally I think it's not needed, just ride the dh track as it is.

V10

Likes Dirt
Hey wisey im interested in doing work and maintence at kinglake. We ride there nearly every weekend, after work in summer. It would be great to get up there with like minded poeple.Are you the guys with the red intense that upgraded the 2nd fast section?

CrookS

Likes Dirt
North shore is for canadian freeriders (with too much time on their hands) and should be contained to a little island in the middle of the ocean where it wont get in the way of a good honest DIRT AND ROCKS track.
P.s Kudos to the builders of the new sections out there awesome fun and it makes kinglake a place to wanna go now.

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
Havnt been there for a few weeks or so, but i have seen a few NS things going in, and they are shit as! Are these new ones in the actual track or do you have to go another way to get to them? Cause if they are on the actual track then the axe will be coming out and that shit will be coming down!!

Last edited:

captainmorgan

Likes Dirt
Havnt been there for a few weeks or so, but i have seen a few NS things going in, and they are as gayas aids! Are these new ones in the actual track or do you have to go another way to get to them? Cause if they are on the actual track then the axe will be coming out and that shit will be coming down!!
No, they are on new bits of track.

CrookS

Likes Dirt
No, North shore is for Canadian rider's who use it because the ground is unrideable. Surly not the case here in aus.
Derogatory terminology is unnacceptable. Any further use will result in a permenent ban form Farkin.net

johnny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Fast tough and flowy

im with wisey on that one.dirt rocks and high speed honkin all the way..Long live king lake......minus northshore.

StormFire

Likes Dirt
I was up there again today, and seriously, any northshore that you have to worry about falling through as you walk along it seriously shouldn't be there.

If it was well made, then i could maybe see a reason for it being there, but what is there is just utter crap, and i dont see the need for northshore on a track like kinglake to start with.

smokingmouse

Likes Bikes
No need for shores at kinglake at all. i guess these things happen when our favourite tracks get more and more well known. The more people stem tracks off the original and build crud hip obstacles, the more chance there is of these places being irradicated by local authorities. We don't want this sort of crap now do we!!!!

CrookS

Likes Dirt
You really are an idiot aren't you? Is it any coincidence that your name contains the word "rooks"?
It is actually i just made it up outta the blue..... I didnt really get where you were going with it is it a free riding term???

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am led to believe the dodgy bridges and poor North Shore has been crucified for the good of the track. A few guys are up there today doing more work for us all too enjoy, minus the NS.

Harder Nox

Likes Dirt
Anyone who doesn't know what these guys are on about...

Right-click, Save As...
http://dvideos.net/open/2308/

Its pretty dodgey stuff.. i wouldn't ride it when i was up there..

when i get back from NZ in a few weeks i'm thinking of moving out to Kinglake (if i can get a house mate or two) so i ride more often.. and what better track to have just down the road! i wouldn't mind lending a hand with the work you guys have planned for the track.. so drop me a PM with details and stuff..

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Makin it rok harder and faster

yes ill drop you a line next time we do a build day(whuch is almost every time weRide)we built a sweet new beam in the bottom section on saturday with more work to come.Long live king lake

demo man

Used to be cool.
Long live king lake
Long live a mountain bike trail in the same post as talking about building illegal North shore structures.

What fantastic irony.

oh, and Timbot - you do realise everyone here is saying they do NOT like the changes being made?