Kona Honzo - The Ti'me has come

Zaf

Gearbox Frother
So the Honzo is about 1000km into it's life now, and other than repeated rear tyre slashing and one instance of the Cassette loosening, it's been problem free.

I received my order of an MRP Ramp Control unit for it's Pike yesterday, and installed that last night. The thing works exactly as advertised, I was messing around with it on re-inflation, and had just 20PSI in the fork and was clicking it back and forth to see the effects. With 20psi and the full 15 clicks of compression, I couldn't bottom the fork out with my arms, conversely, all the way back and I'd clunk it in no worries. I dealt with Craig over at Steve Cramer Products and they were great to deal with at every step of the process.

Took the new unit out for a spin this morning to have a bit more of a feel for it. Currently running 25% sag (78psi) and was starting with about 8 clicks on the unit, but was fiddling (the beauty of on the fly adjustments!!). Managed to top her out on a faster rock roller exit with 5 clicks on, but had I not seen the O-ring at the top, wouldn't have known about it. I think it will be something I will optimise over time to the trail, and then quite literally just add or remove ramp wherever it's required.

Also, I will mention that I've not run 6fatty on this rig, those are just Light Bicycle 38mm 29er hoops with Minion DHF 2.5, and as you can see, they blow up BIG!!! For a little while there I had the same tyre front and rear, but it was teaching me some bad cornering techniques that weren't exactly transferring well to my other bikes...such as expecting to never lose the rear through ANYTHING no matter how stupid you're being!! Threw a Forecaster on, they don't blow up very big (for a 2.35, they're comparable to an Ardent 2.25), but was certainly a bit easier to pedal this morning.

This bike is still ridiculously dumb fun!!

Last edited:

Zaf

Gearbox Frother
Thanks for the update Zaf - love reading your shit.

And also imagine being back in the Alice...
Haha, cheers!

If you ever get back to the center, feel free to drop us a line, get you on the unmarked trails.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for the Stumpy thread, few big things happening with that bike at the moment that will, with any luck, warrant a good update over the next few weeks.

Also, for anyone who is interested with regards to the Honzo, I'll post up the current tech settings for it, tyre pressures took a little while to dial in, the wide rim allows for such low pressures that the main restricting is avoiding rim dings (prime candidate for Huck Norris like system!).

Rockshox Pike RCT3, 140mm w51mm offset and MRP Ramp Control:
- 77psi, 8 clicks ramp control, 4 clicks LSC, 8 clicks out Rebound.

Tyres:
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 EXO TR, 19psi
Maxxis Forekaster 2.35 EXO TR, 23psi

The surface out here isn't steep, but is loose on hardback and a constant battle for traction. These pressures are stable in hard cornering on the rims, but square edge hits can give a little rim tap. These pressures come up on faster trails, where the speed and loads makes these a little squirrely, but out here it seems to be a sweet spot.

Zaf

Gearbox Frother
So bit of a heavy heart moment for this one.
The frame cracked. The bridge along the seat tube and top tube had a weld failure that extended onto the top tube.
Kona no longer make the Titanium Honzo, and it sounds like it was due to this being a regular enough occurance that they need to review it's processing before any word of a re-launch happens. It is the only Kona Titanium frame not to be contracted out to Lynskey.

crackingly bad feeling.jpg

After some ups and downs in conversation on how to proceed, Groupe Sportif and Kona have taken amazingly good care of me! Absolutely huge props to Christian for handling that entire process, even when I was feeling a little low and going through a streak of shitty luck with my bikes, he was not only confident we'd find a satisfactory conclusion, he made sure of it. It is hands down the best warranty experience I've had to date.

Now for the outcome, well, that's going to come in the form another PYR thread.

For now, a moment for a fallen comrade.
IMG_20170728_165634.jpg

caad9

Likes Dirt
Sorry to see that beauty fall!
I'm also here to give props to Christian, he gets things done!

Reactions: Zaf

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gutted for you on the loss of the Honzo, but it seems like you're getting taken care of so it's NBD soon?

You are having a thin seam of good luck at the moment (on the bike) and hopefully that ends soon

slowmick

Eats Squid
After your posts of no action on this matter i think we all feared the worst but sounds like your LBS, Groupe Sportif and Kona all tried their best for you.

The loss of a loved one is hard but the future sounds bright.

Zaf

Gearbox Frother
Gutted for you on the loss of the Honzo, but it seems like you're getting taken care of so it's NBD soon?

You are having a thin seam of good luck at the moment (on the bike) and hopefully that ends soon
No luck lately:
Cracked rim, stripped freehub, cracked frame, snapped belt, shitty delivery, lost items, postage delays. Then there have been some significant personal stresses outside of the bike dramas, it's just been insane.

After your posts of no action on this matter i think we all feared the worst but sounds like your LBS, Groupe Sportif and Kona all tried their best for you.

The loss of a loved one is hard but the future sounds bright.
There were some delays with the courier in getting the frame to Groupe Sportif, but nothing to do with them. This is one of those clear examples where good communication solves all issues, it didn't matter because there were answers and problem solving at every step. Once they got the frame it all flowed pretty quickly.
Something is being dispatched for me today, with some luck outside what I've currently been having, it'll be here next week and I can reveal it. But there's that "first date" feeling that it's on it's way. Pretty much riding the high at the moment.

Should be the first of it's kind in country that wasn't part of the demo models.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Purely talking bikes here, you have had a horrendous run of luck. Hope it starts to swing in a different direction for you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PJO

Likes Dirt
Sorry to hear about the run of shit luck and personal stresses. Hope you still have at least one bike to ride to take that stress away...
Interesting that the Ti Honzo is still listed on the Kona website.

What about a Nordest Bardino Ti or Lacrau Ti frame?
Also Pipedream are doing a Ti version of the Moxie, I rate my steel one, it is a blast. Might be a bit short in the seat tube for you though...

Zaf

Gearbox Frother
Sorry to hear about the run of shit luck and personal stresses. Hope you still have at least one bike to ride to take that stress away...
Interesting that the Ti Honzo is still listed on the Kona website.

What about a Nordest Bardino Ti or Lacrau Ti frame?
Also Pipedream are doing a Ti version of the Moxie, I rate my steel one, it is a blast. Might be a bit short in the seat tube for you though...
I have been looking at the Nordest's for a while now, but I am actually really happy, and equally excited, about the replacement Kona has agreed on supplying me with. It's a bit of a departure from the Honzo though, but I think it gives me an extremely well rounded quiver and I'll get on to selling the Slash, and Stumpy as soon as possible...and all the parts I now have lying around.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Curious about your choice. From the Kona fleet and it will round out your Quiver. Since the Nicolai is squarely in the all mountain category, I'm going to guess it's something short and racy. Hei Hei?