le Official 2007 Tour de France thread

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While I'd love to see the Predictor-Lotto guys light it up from the start, I don't think it'll happen.

If it comes down to racing around the Champs, think Jim's got it - the cobbles are nasty and it is wet. Better to take the podium place than bin it and go home with nothing.

They had their race, and the final day is one for the sprinters and opportunists.

Rik

logged out
....well, until the final day, then you can watch a bunch of blokes cruise around Paris on a casual group ride.
Part of a cycling industry conspiracy to sell more team-coloured bikes and lycra to the poseurs who wish to emulate this "tradition". Get dressed as race-like as possible then roll around a park at 25km/h :D

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so are they really just going to cruise it in? How can you race for 19 days, go through all that pain, be so close and just let it slide??

would it be different if the 3rd rider was from a different team? ie 3rd place didn't have anything to lose?

Bodin

GMBC
How can you race for 19 days, go through all that pain, be so close and just let it slide??
It's a huge pity, but even with 6 or 7 minutes on 4th place to play with, the risk of having a disaster on the last stage is enough for the 2nd and 3rd-placed riders to rule out challenging Contador. There really is next year for Cadel - and probably a few years after that.

I'm preparing myself for how proud I'll feel seeing him on the podium in a few hours' time. The whole non-competition disappointment will fade at that point, because it's freakin' awesome to have an MTBer doing this well in the world's biggest road race. Especially while I think his best is yet to come.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
I'm preparing myself for how proud I'll feel seeing him on the podium in a few hours' time. The whole non-competition disappointment will fade at that point, because it's freakin' awesome to have an MTBer doing this well in the world's biggest road race. Especially while I think his best is yet to come.
Ditto, and the fact that up until now it's seems like the Aussie MTB scene knows how good he is, but the rest of the world hasn't been let in on that secret. It's great to see him up there, we've all been rooting for him long enough, through some bad luck years.

Garrath

Likes Dirt
What I would like to see is the whole Lotto team to move to the front, speed up a little and then drift back into the bunch. Just to scare the s@#t out of team Discovery for a little bit. hee hee.

wombat

Lives in a hole
we've all been rooting for him long enough, through some bad luck years.
Speak for youself!
No offence to the man, but when I'm rooting he'd be about the last thing on my mind.
:p

In other news:
Bah! A fucking parade. Although I expected it, it's no less dissapointing.

Garrath

Likes Dirt
patience Wombat patience. Let us await the first sprint, if nothing happens then I suspect that Cadel is keeping to tradition and second place is his.

Bodin

GMBC
Fark. I keep nodding off. Going to have to set my alarm for an hour's time so I don't miss the end. I'm getting ca-ta-tonnnnnnnnn-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic trying to watch this...

Bodin

GMBC
Anyone notice a thump from the commentary box and then a very conspicuous silence? There's been no commentary for the last couple of minutes!?!?!?

edit: Wonder if Phil's ok?