Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If anyone has a spare 27.5" LB rim floating around in 35 or 38mm 32h I'll gladly take it off your hands. Managed to crack mine yesterday - all my fault: a bad line choice on a very rocky section of trail with too little PSI in the tyre... It's still holding up tubeless and riding fine, but I've got a NZ trip coming up soon and would rather build up a replacement if possible. I've emailed LB to see if they can get me one asap, but I'm not holding out much hope at this time of year.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
If anyone has a spare 27.5" LB rim floating around in 35 or 38mm 32h I'll gladly take it off your hands. Managed to crack mine yesterday - all my fault: a bad line choice on a very rocky section of trail with too little PSI in the tyre... It's still holding up tubeless and riding fine, but I've got a NZ trip coming up soon and would rather build up a replacement if possible. I've emailed LB to see if they can get me one asap, but I'm not holding out much hope at this time of year.
Not LB but Carbonality. Seem as good IMO.
In stock ready to ship.
http://www.crankin.net.au/?product_cat=rims

No Skid Marks

Very nice and a good price too. They are 1.5mm lower in profile than the LB ones I currently have, do you think I could get away with using the same spokes?
I'd put them both through two different spoke calculators to be certain. If not, you could use half your old spokes on the other side.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Very nice and a good price too. They are 1.5mm lower in profile than the LB ones I currently have, do you think I could get away with using the same spokes?
ERD is the only criteria you need to consider.

What exactly do you mean by "lower profile"?

No Skid Marks

Safe to say he means ERD. Rim thickness also needs to be considered theoretically, LB and Carbonality are most likely very close anyway though.
Although 1.5 different, they may use the same spoke length, he'd best check on a online spoke calc though. as they're probably different.

Nautonier

Eats Squid

The LB rims have a 'height' of 25mm, whereas Crankin's wheels are 23.5mm.
I'll see if I can get the ERD specs of the LB rim to compare.

ERD on the LB rims is 551mm and 559mm on the Carbonalitys. I'm guessing an 8mm difference in ERD would mean re-using the old spokes is not an option.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
The LB rims have a 'height' of 25mm, whereas Crankin's wheels are 23.5mm.
I'll see if I can get the ERD specs of the LB rim to compare.

And indeed what "profile" suggests to most of us (and has no direct relationship to the critical ERD).

ERD on the LB rims is 551mm and 559mm on the Carbonalitys. I'm guessing an 8mm difference in ERD would mean re-using the old spokes is not an option.
Safe to say he means ERD. Rim thickness also needs to be considered theoretically, LB and Carbonality are most likely very close anyway though.
Although 1.5 different, they may use the same spoke length, he'd best check on a online spoke calc though. as they're probably different.
I'd put them both through two different spoke calculators to be certain. If not, you could use half your old spokes on the other side.
Maybe (or not), and what I was concerned about. ERD is ERD. There are no caveats.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

What "profile" suggests.

Maybe, and what I was concerned about. ERD is ERD. There are no caveats.
Sorry, misdiagnosed/presumed what he meant.
Interesting how far different the ERDs Vs Profile is and how wrong I was with my presumptions. The Carbonality and LB rims looked much the same in the flesh from my recollections.
New spokes needed for 4mm difference for sure. 2mm might be close if spoke calks worked in your favor, but not 4mm.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Out of interest no skid marks what warranty are you offering on the rims?
The two years factory warranty that comes from Carbonal. Covers manufacturing defects. Not smashing them on rocks with no tyre pressure. They may repair that cheaply though. Crankin offers no extra warranty, that keeps them the same/similar price as Carbonal charge. If you want more insurance, get Zelvys or Envys. Having them in stock and ready to post is probably the main reason to get them from us. Ironicly we're low on stock this time of year so check what's in store.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Laced these 650b 30mm external 24mm internal wheels up for a mate this arvo:

Will mostly tension up the spokes tomorrow & then take to another mate of mine who has much experience with carbon & access to all the tools.

Rims present really nicely, can't wait to build a similar set for the TBc.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
And indeed what "profile" suggests to most of us (and has no direct relationship to the critical ERD).
Maybe (or not), and what I was concerned about. ERD is ERD. There are no caveats.
Profile depth is a decent indicator of ERD. All rims of any given size have a common Bead Seat Diameter (BSD), give or take a few poofteenths of a millimetre, sidewall height is going to remain fairly similar across the board, therefore minimal difference in total diameter, so the only remaining factors that affect ERD are the profile depth and the wall thickness at the spoke bed. You can make a fairly decent estimate of ERD comparisons by comparing profile depth (unless you're building with certain Mavic rims with funky internal nipple seats).

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Laced these 650b 30mm external 24mm internal wheels up for a mate this arvo:

Will mostly tension up the spokes tomorrow & then take to another mate of mine who has much experience with carbon & access to all the tools.

Rims present really nicely, can't wait to build a similar set for the TBc.
Once they're done, could you let me know what spoke tensions are used?
Just checking tension and I'm getting around 105kgf/140kgf front. That seems really low?

Ideate

Just looking around the LB website, about to put an order through... and found it amusing that some of the management team photos are stock images. You could just tell from looking at them but I had to confirm it.. so I found two of them.

I really couldn't care less (as I know LB are legit).. but would you rather no image or some random stock image? Maybe it's actually them and they do stock image modeling on the side??

LB on the left.. stock image on the right.

stock.JPG

Ideate

Ebay currently have 15% off.. But I'm not sure if light bicycles is cheaper ordering direct or through ebay with 15% off?