LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Bought 2 sets of those thumbi sanguan branded lights from MBD, one for the wife's bike and one as backup.

Came with everything needed including helmet mounting straps.

Some shots of light spread/intensity. There are 4 setting but only showing low and high. The fence in shots is 20m from where I was standing

low power setting

high setting

To compare to my serfas true 1500 light

low power

high power

ChopSticks

Banned
That'll do the trick!
wasnt 100% happy with how high it sat on the helmet.

Coincidently one of the mounts I order a week back arrived this morning, and got to work on the mkII version

mkIII: confirmed the correct angle and decided the adjustable gopro knob would be useless, found a shorter bolt and a nut instead. Access to the light is much easier now.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry only new - I have not read this thread start to finish, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but as a person whom works in the Electrical field I would suggest that all cheap imported lights (Chargers and Battery's) be used with a local RCD protection device, save $100 but burn down ya house not cool
Cheers
D
I just charge mine (on a wooden table...) under close supervision. They've been fine so far......, touch wood!

I'm getting pretty tired rigging my lid with and wasting cable ties to fit my light. Going to have to work something out, preferably a permanent mount plate similar to the above where I can just mount and remove my light with a single bolt. I have an old headlamp that I might try and use to dodgy something up but given my light has the curved mount for handle bars it's going to take some serious dodgying.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Have a read of the helmet mounting bit here. Gives you a few options of mounts that will work (some with a bit of tweaking) with most of the single bolt mount lights. I don't like the idea of permanently fixing anything to my helmet, so I use helmet mounts that have a velcro strap. They are plenty secure and can be put on our off in seconds. They also keep the light low to the helmet so you don't get snagged as easily on low branches and vines.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I might be able to velcro mine to like that as well, will have to see what state the mount is in, might be a little busted if I recall.

As for the low profile, I'd like that too as I am quite cognizant of the risk of catching up when I ride as parts of the trial I generally hit are overgrown a bit. However I also want a bit of adjustability with my light for different sections of track (fast sections where I want it at a greater distance, close sections where I want it lower, etc.).

Minlak

custom titis
I'm getting pretty tired rigging my lid with and wasting cable ties to fit my light. Going to have to work something out, preferably a permanent mount plate similar to the above where I can just mount and remove my light with a single bolt. I have an old headlamp that I might try and use to dodgy something up but given my light has the curved mount for handle bars it's going to take some serious dodgying.
I run two helmets :)

si618

Likes Dirt
Slight variation of chopstick's approach (thanks!), screw is about twice the length of the original, with a little dremel work to allow the clip to slot into the mount.

Last edited:

si618

Likes Dirt
ChopSticks said:
Seens like you have zero adjustaity.... Is that an issue?
Shouldn't be, I've been for a couple of night rides using zip ties and cut up mouse pad to sort out my preferred angle, whilst the gopro will use the standard clip which is adjustable.

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Might be a bit of a long shot, but does anybody know if you can just buy a light head for the below & where?

I have a couple sets of the 900 lumen Magic Shines with upgraded battery packs (Lithium-Ion, 6.0Ah, 7.2V, 43Wh) from the Geo Man Gear replacement program a few years ago. Batteries, mounts & chargers etc. are all fine, but the light heads are getting a little temperamental & i'm looking to have a couple of back-ups ready to go for when they finally cark it.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Some ebay sellers give the option of light head, light head/battery/charger or full kit plus extras.

From memory the Solarstorms were about $20 for the light head only.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
So my $80 Lupine Betty has been upgraded to current LEDs and lens. I also bought the massive 17.5ah Big Ben bottle battery and she's up and running. I also found a charger at a good price(thanks Jim).
Results are quite impressive. It's not just how bright it is but the quality of the beam and the spread that really stand out.

This is my 2013 narrow beam AyUp

And Betty

Running on a medium setting this should last all night if I ever get that far.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I hope you feel bad about how poor my lights are when I am doing the 18hr race next weekend.....
You've cost me a fortune. I almost wish you outbid me. Almost. I think this must be the ultimate stress free 24 hour bike light.
Now I just need a Wilma or Pico for the lid.
But before I lash out more $$$ I need to try it out with the AyUp on the helmet to see if they work together.