LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Ivan

Eats Squid
The Magicshine output is measured here http://reviews.mtbr.com/2013-bike-lights-shootout

They're excellent lights for the dollars, but their weakness seems to be mainly the build quality of the battery. I have a set, and have had one battery repaired under warranty. I also have a set of nitelights, which look to be basically the same unit as the Magicshines.

The other thing to consider is the safety of the batteries, which in some rare instances have caused fires. I know I don't feel safe having batteries stored in my house that could spontaneously combust.

For the little amount of night riding I do, my Magicshines will do. But if I needed to get new lights I would certainly consider something of higher quality, and most likely safer to store, like the AYUPS.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
If weight is more important than brightness go spend heaps more on dim AyUps... It's your money. However, the 'single' light setup from AyUp is $100 more than the NiteLite and is nowhere near as bright. The MTB light they recommend (with two lights) is $270 more and still nowhere near as bright. At 1100 lumen and with a nice wide beam, the Nitelite negates the need for a helmet light - weight on the bars not such an issue.

The nitelight led may be rated to 1100 lumen, but the output is more likely to be ~700ish. Consider the Magicshines in the chart below from MTBR

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Lights are usually not the most important thing for weight - most racing is done in daylight by far, so weight is only an issue in a 24 hour race in the main IMO. I those races, you are going to be substantially slower at night anyway, and probably on a track you dont know, so perhaps light brightness and width is more important than 200grams. i would never sacrifice light for weight in a 1hr lap - solo 24's - different story.

Currently considering setting one of my bikes up with a k lite 500lm bar light with generator hub - no batteries!!

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have found some humour in this comment in the past, but never fully understood it. So you take a shit before riding with heavy gear, but don't bother when riding light gear? just take a crap before your ride. Regardless of the weight you will feel much more comfortable. If it is just as some sort of comparison, I'm trying to get the weight of my bike under the weight of a rhino shit. If you take riding seriously you will consider the weight of components, no shit ;)
It applies to the entire cycle industry.. Take Kashima coating for example.. Just bend your dam arms more! I love blasting past guys on 6k+ road bikes on $300 crapper..

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Not sure if anyone else has posted these before, but I just picked up two of them.

There is no way they are 1800 lumens, based on comparison with other lights I've seen/used I'd say they would be around the 800 lumen mark. Still, even at that I bought one for the head an one for the bars for under $100.

I'm coming from a set of Niteflux lights which lasted 2 years and then one of the batteries died, the two of them combined was 600 lumens. Each of these lights are significantly brighter, with the battery lasting for a 3 hour ride on max (haven't done a full discharge test yet). I found I could comfortably ride with just one light on my helmet, and combined they were pretty impressive.

Longevity might be an issue, but so far I'm really pleased and if they die I'll just buy some more for that price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1800-Lum...Sport_Cycling_Accessories&hash=item416664e682

K Lite/SP dynamo hub

http://www.klite.com.au/product/dynamo-deal-race

I'm quite interested in one of these for 24hr solo racing also. Anyone actually used or seen one in action?
The USB charger could come in handy to for charging my garmin too.
I've just got one of those for my bikepacking trips...I've got a prototype so not the 'finished' product but it's still pretty damn good.

There is some concern about drag, but you're able to switch between having 850lm and 500lm...less drag at 500. But TBH i don't notice the drag, then again I'm not much of a racer.

At lower speeds you do have less light and there can be some strobing.

As to the weight - I haven't done the calculations but considering you drop the weight of the battery, it probably evens out or is even a bit lighter maybe?! PLUS you don't have to fartarse around with chargers/runttimes etc - just get on and ride...no excuse to stop.

The ability to charge/run things via USB is GREAT!! Went for a 6hour ride the other day, with my phone playing music the whole way and at the end of the ride it was still sitting on 100% charge. So now i don't have to worry about getting stuck somewhere with a flat phone.

I've also got a kLite prototype helmet light...runs off 6xAA's that can be charged via the hub, but that's probably more suited to recreational/bikepacking. Probably not enough light for racing.

There's a great review of the system here

Kerry is a top bloke and easy to deal with, plus he'll work to customise a solution for you...and no he hasn't paid me to say that :nono:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if anyone else has posted these before, but I just picked up two of them.

There is no way they are 1800 lumens, based on comparison with other lights I've seen/used I'd say they would be around the 800 lumen mark. Still, even at that I bought one for the head an one for the bars for under $100.

I'm coming from a set of Niteflux lights which lasted 2 years and then one of the batteries died, the two of them combined was 600 lumens. Each of these lights are significantly brighter, with the battery lasting for a 3 hour ride on max (haven't done a full discharge test yet). I found I could comfortably ride with just one light on my helmet, and combined they were pretty impressive.

Longevity might be an issue, but so far I'm really pleased and if they die I'll just buy some more for that price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1800-Lum...Sport_Cycling_Accessories&hash=item416664e682

Would be keen to see / hear how these hold up longer term... I think I might buy a set or two!

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I'm very happy with my Magicshine MJ-880 U2's - one for the bars, one for the helmet. Been flawless. Build quality is equal to my 2009 Ayups as far as I can tell.
The light output is overkill really - I run them on 3/5 or 4/5 most of the time. Battery then lasts yonks. They were flawless in the Scott solo last year.

Light spread etc is far superior to my Ayups. THe low profile is good for the helmet. The green amient light is eerie and freaks out your riding mates at rest stops :)

In short, I'd love to be able to recommend an aussie product but unfortunately, IMO, I think the price difference for the MJ880 vs the Ayups is the wrong way around :(

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Would be keen to see / hear how these hold up longer term... I think I might buy a set or two!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1800-Lume...item416664e682

I have been using 2 of these lights since October 2012, with at least 1 night ride a week.
They have held up really well so far.

I have one on the helmet & one on the bars. I used a separate mount i had lying around for the helmet.
I use the o ring setup for the bars.
The headstrap thing it comes with is rubbish.

For the price they have been really good & have exceeded my expectations.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone used Fluxient lights? Apart from there claims of 3000 lumen and measured about half of that its still over 1000 lumen on the MTBR chart. No helmet mount though..

RichJS

Likes Dirt

They're the Magicshine MJ-808E, which about 1 million people own under the Magicshine and various other names.

You're correct in guessing they're not 1800 lumens - the CREE XM-L T6 is good for a theoretical max of something like 1120lm, so 800 lumens in reality seems about right.

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
Can someone reccomend a helmet light please

Hi all,
As the title says Im after a helmet light, not looking to spend a fortune at the moment as I just bought the bike.
I guess Im after something that would do 2 hours or so maybe a little more on trail rides and single track.
If you could reference something on chain reaction that would be great as I am already going to order a few things from there.

Thanks
Dan

Ivan

Eats Squid
Dan,

Suitable lights range from $60 to $1600, so if you provide a budget that would help.

Also, do you want a helmet mounted battery? or are you happy to carry it in your pack?

Will you be using a bar light as well? or will the helmet light be your only light?

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
Hi Ivan

The helmet light will be the only light for a while, I will consider getting a bar light sometime down the track.
I don't mind if the battery pack is on the helmet or in my pack. I'm a newbie so happy to go of recommendations of those with experience.
Budget is as low as possible without being useless, preferably below $100 or close to.

Thanks

Ivan

Eats Squid
For under $100, you are pretty much limited to the cheap Chinese lights like the Magicshines.

The reliability is a bit hit and miss, and the batteries could be a safety concern, but nothing beats them in terms of dollars per lumen.

examples of what I'm talking about are:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREE-XML...es&hash=item3cc9d917ea&_uhb=1#ht_10720wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREE-XML...ies&hash=item3f21246c15&_uhb=1#ht_5786wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Moun..._15&hash=item3a777e7e7b&_uhb=1#ht_7269wt_1163

It is possible to helmet mount the smaller 2cell batteries, but it takes a bit of faffing around, so these style of lights are best run with the battery in the backpack.

An excellent source of information for lights is here http://reviews.mtbr.com/2013-bike-lights-shootout

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Hi Ivan

The helmet light will be the only light for a while, I will consider getting a bar light sometime down the track.
I don't mind if the battery pack is on the helmet or in my pack. I'm a newbie so happy to go of recommendations of those with experience.
Budget is as low as possible without being useless, preferably below $100 or close to.

Thanks
The China specials that Ivan put up are okay but if it's your only light I'd spend a bit more and get something a little better. If that's all you can really afford then go for it but if it's a case of $100 is all you want to spend then up the budget a bit.

The basic Ay-up kit will do the trick and there are other lights out there by Aussie and Kiwi guys that are pretty good. IMO Niterider do the best lights out there but they are stupid expensive so value for money is probably off the mark but if you look at performance alone they are very good, fish around on ebay and maybe pick up a set on the cheap.

I'm off for a ride now but I'll find some links for you later.