Little Things You Hate

Flow-Rider

Burner
I would have imagined even some of the most undesirable PhD's at least show some initiative and capability in what someone can achieve within their chosen field. One of my Exes done a degree in herbal medicine, she thought at the time it would be the next big thing in Australia as everyone was kicking off with these health diets but in the end there was (barely not barley) an opportunity for a well paid job.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I would have imagined even some of the most undesirable PhD's at least show some initiative and capability in what someone can achieve within their chosen field. One of my Exes done a degree in herbal medicine, she thought at the time it would be the next big thing in Australia as everyone was kicking off with these health diets but in the end there was barley an opportunity for a well paid job.
There's her problem, should have gone with kale, far more medicinal than barley.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Epic fail! I'm out riding the local dirt jumps and a dad is sadly walking out with his kids as one of them has scored a flat. Everyone looks sad...so I offer to provide a repair. Oh shit! The snake bite is huge, 2 long cuts about 15mm long each sitting in the ribbed party of the tube. I find a patch that works on one of the cuts...scrounge and scrounge and find another patch that might work, but it old and crusty. Real stiff. Try as I might I just couldn't get it to stick on. The only trick left that I couldn't do due to lack of fire was igniting the glue and melting it all together. My ego isn't designed for this!

Epic fail! I'm out riding the local dirt jumps and a dad is sadly walking out with his kids as one of them has scored a flat. Everyone looks sad...so I offer to provide a repair. Oh shit! The snake bite is huge, 2 long cuts about 15mm long each sitting in the ribbed party of the tube. I find a patch that works on one of the cuts...scrounge and scrounge and find another patch that might work, but it old and crusty. Real stiff. Try as I might I just couldn't get it to stick on. The only trick left that I couldn't do due to lack of fire was igniting the glue and melting it all together. My ego isn't designed for this!
The boy caught the train down to Hornsby to ride the new dirt jumps and trails with his mate, gets a flat with no spare (I told him to take a spare and pump). He rings me and I tells him to visit the angry Chinese man who runs Ku-ring-gai cycles and buy a tube and sort it, which he does but now the guide pipe for the rear cable is pulling through the bracket on the v-brake, he cant fix it, so he just rides with the front brake (which is disc) until he bins it and hurts his wrist and decides to come home on the train.

I get home expecting to hear how shite his day has been but nah he's a froth monster, had a great day and can't wait to ride it with me (when I sort the bikes out, fuck me say no to old bikes)

There is no point to this story, its just a bunch of stuff that happened.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The boy caught the train down to Hornsby to ride the new dirt jumps and trails with his mate, gets a flat with no spare (I told him to take a spare and pump). He rings me and I tells him to visit the angry Chinese man who runs Ku-ring-gai cycles and buy a tube and sort it, which he does but now the guide pipe for the rear cable is pulling through the bracket on the v-brake, he cant fix it, so he just rides with the front brake (which is disc) until he bins it and hurts his wrist and decides to come home on the train.

I get home expecting to hear how shite his day has been but nah he's a froth monster, had a great day and can't wait to ride it with me (when I sort the bikes out, fuck me say no to old bikes)

There is no point to this story, its just a bunch of stuff that happened.
There are 3 take away messages here:
1) take spares! Even if it isn't cool, take them. Fuck hide them in the bushes if you need to.

2) time for some upgrades in the name of safety.

3) bikes are fun.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Did this line:

.....and pretty much anything that I'm not interested in or not smrat enough to understand

not indicate to you the level of seriousness in my post, or in that paragraph at least?

Lol, just going through the thread, and those replies gave much to smirk on

Your point however is well made - It might however be used against you in the future. ;D

Staunch

Eats Squid
People who think they know how to talk to salespeople to get discounts.

If you're one of these people I'll charge you full price as often as I can.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
People who think they know how to talk to salespeople to get discounts.

If you're one of these people I'll charge you full price as often as I can.
But is there a fits all sales people technique? I'm probably doing it all wrong, I assume you should just ask..."is there a discount available for this item?". Unless you're selling houses, in which case low ballin for days.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
^ surely there were not many surprises in that story? Other than how quickly the cops solved the crime...

It is a sad story all the same - crime, poverty, death, drugs...not much good to come out of it.
The good to come out of it is a drug dealer, probably 2, and a murderer are of the street...

safreek

While maybe not as readily available as speed back in your youth meth has a long history. Even back in your day it was around just very underground.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/...to-footy-players-heres-a-short-history-of-ice
Didn't know any of that info. I know that the Old type of speed was a great deal of fun for a night out, actually tried some of the new shit a few years ago, absolute depressing garbage.
Don't even party any more so it's all usless to me now

Staunch

Eats Squid
But is there a fits all sales people technique? I'm probably doing it all wrong, I assume you should just ask..."is there a discount available for this item?". Unless you're selling houses, in which case low ballin for days.
There is no technique, just be a genuine, nice person and I might give you a discount if you've made my day easier/better. If after 10 shitty people before you, you're straight-forward, no bullshit and not a penny-pincher, I'd be way more likely to knock a little bit off the final price if possible. Everyone wants something for nothing these days and people just expect a discount because they're a customer and you as a salesperson apparently 'need' to make the sale. The entitled/'customer is always right' attitude can eat a bag of dicks.

Even worse when shit is already on sale and people want still more off.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Sorry, but it sounds like you're saying that only certain fields of study are worthy of granting PhDs ?
I know several people with PhDs in fields you've deemed "ridiculous". My sister went to school for over 10 years and has several degrees include a Doctorate. She is no less deserving of respect for her field of study than you are for yours. She has taught at some of the most prestigious schools in her field before she was 30. If getting a PhD in the arts is so easy, I'm sure you can back it up by showing off all the ones you've got, right ?
Is that sarcasm I hear......?

Not ridiculous, just pointless, and more than a few, my cousin included (who hasn't planted anything other than Bok Choi , go straight from school to teaching, and using the legitimacy of this to consult to the private sector, with zero practical experience in their field. While this is fine in areas such as theoretical quantum mechanics or quasi pseudo behavioural profiling, but when a phud with a doctorate based on the effects of humidity on fairy ring mycelium growth in poa annua, starts redesigning test methods for the determination of aggregate physics, it's a bit of a long bow.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There is no technique, just be a genuine, nice person and I might give you a discount if you've made my day easier/better. If after 10 shitty people before you, you're straight-forward, no bullshit and not a penny-pincher, I'd be way more likely to knock a little bit off the final price if possible. Everyone wants something for nothing these days and people just expect a discount because they're a customer and you as a salesperson apparently 'need' to make the sale. The entitled/'customer is always right' attitude can eat a bag of dicks.

Even worse when shit is already on sale and people want still more off.
So just charge straight in and demand "further reductions!"?

moorey

call me Mia
Sold a set of forks to fund a set of the hope w35's. Put them in my basket waiting for guy to pay and money to clear.
Clears this morning, go to buy, rear with Shimano hub out of stock. Grrr.
No big, I have a sram cassette, so put that in the basket instead, but fling them a quick email asking if the 142x12 adapters are included, as it shows them as coming qr.
Wait for answer today, it's inconclusive, but other assure me they are included.
Go back to make payment an hour later...front is out of stock.
FML.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ the detestation of logging onto an online store and seeing items missing from your waiting list.

Have the hope rims improved their reputation? When the hope hoops first switched to their own brand rim there was much sadness.

moorey

call me Mia
^ the detestation of logging onto an online store and seeing items missing from your waiting list.

Have the hope rims improved their reputation? When the hope hoops first switched to their own brand rim there was much sadness.
Much sadness from me that they stopped building on Stans.....other than that, people I know with them have been happy. The 'enduro is ridiculously narrow in this age of wider rims though. Looking forward to trying the w35's though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Much sadness from me that they stopped building on Stans.....other than that, people I know with them have been happy. The 'enduro is ridiculously narrow in this age of wider rims though. Looking forward to trying the w35's though.
35mm (I'm assuming?) is quite wide. Are these rims up for gravity riding or something for the fat tyre pedalling trend?