Little Things You Hate

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I remember hearing once about the "z" vs "s" thing and how there were lots of words in British English that once had the "z" but then they went to all of them having "s" to distinguish them from US more clearly. I guess I could search to see how true that is, but meh.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I remember hearing once about the "z" vs "s" thing and how there were lots of words in British English that once had the "z" but then they went to all of them having "s" to distinguish them from US more clearly. I guess I could search to see how true that is, but meh.
Yeah I heard that too. Language always evolves either way. Either way, I'm ok with resisting the takeover by the seppos.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yeah I heard that too. Language always evolves either way. Either way, I'm ok with resisting the takeover by the seppos.
Language does evolve, but not to the point of "Drive N Text UB Next" which always makes me angry.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought it was the other way around. The yanks developed a 'simpler' spelling system. Dropping u from colour, changing all the s that sound like a z to a z, not being able to spell metre etc. This is all despite the fact they are sticking with a stupid imperial measurement system when metric is a whole lot simpler.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I thought it was the other way around. The yanks developed a 'simpler' spelling system. Dropping u from colour, changing all the s that sound like a z to a z, not being able to spell metre etc. This is all despite the fact they are sticking with a stupid imperial measurement system when metric is a whole lot simpler.
I think a bit of both - US went their way, the British then decided to go the other so as not to get lumped in?

scblack

Leucocholic
But NO.

Not the case. Or do you remember the time back when you were a little tyke, and your dad was arguing drunk with his third best mate that he met that day down the pub, and was blowing out his arse about something he half heard his uncle's boyfriend bullshitting through his teeth?

Americans have dumbed down spelling. Simple as that. Or find us ONE word the Brits have added a S to when it apparently once had a Z.

One word.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
But NO.

Not the case. Or do you remember the time back when you were a little tyke, and your dad was arguing drunk with his third best mate that he met that day down the pub, and was blowing out his arse about something he half heard his uncle's boyfriend bullshitting through his teeth?

Americans have dumbed down spelling. Simple as that. Or find us ONE word the Brits have added a S to when it apparently once had a Z.

One word.
Hospitalize

check out https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/28/ize-or-ise/

and http://www.metadyne.co.uk/ize.html

So it may be that the Americans had nothing to do with the British variations, but regardless, "ise" has come back into British English although "ize" is etymologically correct for a number of words.

scblack

Leucocholic
Hospitalize

check out https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/28/ize-or-ise/

and http://www.metadyne.co.uk/ize.html

So it may be that the Americans had nothing to do with the British variations, but regardless, "ise" has come back into British English although "ize" is etymologically correct for a number of words.
Don't you fucken hate that? Being not quite right? At least it only happens rarely for me.....HAH, who am I kidding!

BUT - if anyone uses the spelling Hospitalize, I will poke their eye out with a pencil.