Little Things You Hate

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Increase the fibre in your diet. Reduces your bowel cancer risk as well.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk
What's the best low calorie way to increase fibre? I'm on a diet and using fibre sprinkles which are based on sugar beat, but its not enough.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic
....My issue is with greed. Almost without exception, being well off makes you greedy. The more you have, the more you want, even at the expense of others in need....
Nah and Nah. "Almost without exception" - sorry but what crap.

I have worked with the VERY wealthy, and what they do for others, as well as the many other genuinely wealthy people I deal with currently would open your eyes. Usually their giving is very generous - in time, money and assistance. That includes BRW Top Ten wealth, but also the local business people I "network" with.

What do you define as Greed? Be interesting to hear your answer to that.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
What's the best low calorie way to increase fibre? I'm on a diet and using fibre sprinkles which are based on sugar beat, but its not enough.
Chia seeds, Christ I look at them and need to go.

Too slow- beaten by droenn, was thinking about having to run to the loo

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I have worked with the VERY wealthy, and what they do for others, as well as the many other genuinely wealthy people I deal with currently would open your eyes. Usually their giving is very generous - in time, money and assistance. That includes BRW Top Ten wealth, but also the local business people I "network" with.
While the very wealthiest Australians may give a lot in dollar terms in comparison to the average person, percentage-wise the donations aren't quite so impressive:

https://medium.com/@daniel_1959/philanthropy-by-numbers-490bdcbc6d08

It's quite a good read about the stats, but the TLDR of it is:

"The table shows that none of our top 10 are close to giving away anything substantial. With annual giving in the range of 0.06% to 0.29% of their net worth I am not sure any of these donations count as philanthropy in the true sense of the word. I am also sure this data suggests our most wealthy do not appreciate how fortunate they are and the responsibility of those most fortunate to give back to the society from which their wealth came."

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Wanting more than you need is the the obvious answer, but its more nuanced than that. I think its when money becomes a means of keeping score.

As for generous wealthy types, im sure they exist - but very rarely. Selfish and aggressive traits are still rewarded in the system we have.

Z

Zaf

Breakfast cereals!! Hi-Bran Weetbix are brilliant, you can usually supplement them with a chia seed fibre sprinkle nicely and smash out your recommended daily in the space of a single meal. No added sugar in them either, throw in some good natural Yoghurt and you've got dairy intake and calcium nailed as well.

moorey

call me Mia
Nah and Nah. "Almost without exception" - sorry but what crap.

...As wanting ‘more’, when you already have ample.

I’m generalizing about one sector of society, you regularly generalize about the opposite end of that spectrum.

I don’t want to trigger you, I’m telling you what I’ve experienced, and can’t comment on your experiences.

scblack

Leucocholic
As for generous wealthy types, im sure they exist - but very rarely.
Then I am afraid you don't know what you are talking about. I have worked with the philanthropic entities set up by many wealthy people and they are common.

Selfish and aggressive traits are still rewarded in the system we have.
What's wrong with being aggressive? Its the way our world works - but i'll put it in a different term. Business people take enormous RISKS to get where they are - they put up capital to build businesses and employ many people in the process. They got out and sought something more than just sitting on their backside expecting a "job for life". Call that aggressive if you wish but I see someone who builds a business through hard work and risk as more deserving of "reward" than someone who turns up and walks out the door at 5pm on the dot every day, but makes no genuine efforts.

scblack

Leucocholic
...As wanting ‘more’, when you already have ample.

I’m generalizing about one sector of society, you regularly generalize about the opposite end of that spectrum.

I don’t want to trigger you, I’m telling you what I’ve experienced, and can’t comment on your experiences.
Similar to my reply to Haakon - if people had simply satisfied themselves with "ample" we would simply not have any of the advancements we have in our world. People invented stuff, improved processes, took risks and worked bloody hard on improving themselves. Without capitalistic "rewards" that would not have happened. Look at communism and how innovative Russia has been (not) - that's the opposite of capitalism.

As for ample - that's a value judgement. Your judgement will be different to mine :) . Beyond certain limits, sure I'll agree to some extent, but if a person is paying their taxes, being a good citizen, what's the problem?

moorey

call me Mia
@scblack You’re talking about one sector of the business world, and you’re correct about those.
There’s others who gamble it all on others money, and declare bankruptcy.
There’s also plenty who only care about themselves and shareholders.
There’s also plenty who treat their 9-5ers like shit, and wonder why there’s no loyalty or commitment.

My bother is as capo as they come, works his arse off, treats his employees well, and reaps the rewards of his risk and hard work. I wouldn’t swap places with him for anything, nor would he with I. The world needs these types, but my general experience with the super rich and powerful is very different to yours.