Little Things You Hate

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah I’ve had to cut beers and bacon while im out with injury, started creeping up again too.

Aint life a bitch sometime.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I wasn't going to buy into the Woolworths plastic bag saga. But...............
We do our grocery order online and pick it up from our local store. Its a great service that means we can manage our spend and do it from home. Win win. With the introduction of Woolworths new anti plastic bag campaign came some questions as to how we'd manage getting our groceries packaged and it turns out it was quite simple, we just pay the extra fee for the new bags and they are packed into the bags for us. Too easy!
We did our online shop last week, picked the shopping up and had six of the new reusable bags that we'd paid for in a bunch to take back to the store to put in the box where you can recycle your old bags. I picked the shopping up yesterday with my recycled and reusable bags under my arm only to be told there isn't a box to put your old bags in for reuse, they aren't something to recycle (....somehow) and the store don't take them.
So there you fucking go; political agenda by Woolworths confirmed. The bags aren't anything other than a reusable bag, the same as any damn plastic bag. The bags aren't intended for reuse by the store, the same as any damn plastic bag. So what have we got? A bigger, thicker piece of shit plastic bag that we're all gonna throw in the bin and take up more damn space as landfill etc etc blah blah blah. But wait big Doze! The bags are made from recycled materials!!!!! Oh great, thats a relief! I can take it to the appropriate place of purchase for it be be recycled! Wait, no I fucking can't. I can give it to my store to reuse the bag for my online shopping and feel like I've done more than two tenths of fuck all to save the whales? Ah, no I can't. So I guess I just use the bags ONCE (ONCE) and just pop them in the rubbish for them to blow around on the next breezy day at the local tip? You betcha!
Way to go Woolworths, what a load of pathetic bullshit. I don't mind paying a few cents for a bag but at least make it something worthwhile that we can actually reuse or recycle instead of assuming that the people getting the bags are gonna believe whatever political agenda you're pushing to get good press. Fuck off, at least wheel my groceries out in a plastic tub and let me put them in the bags I bought to reuse a few times over so a baby dolphin won't end up looking like a Ku Klux Klan member when it shoves it's face into another strange object you're selling for it to end up as a destructive piece of shit floating in the sea. They've really half arsed this bag thing when they could've done something pretty awesome.
In light of all that, I'll still be using a fuckton of plastic allegedly made from recycled materials that came from outer space to create new bags 'cause fuck knows where you're recycling the shit from to actually make a plastic-free bag for me to introduce into existing piles of rubbish.

Z

Zaf

Farmers market mate!!

I don't know why they don't just use the collapsible crates and/or carboard boxes the way Bunning's does. If you're done with it, take it back and toss it in for the next person to use. What I did with Coles and their collapsible crates was just unpack the truck with the driver, flatten them out in my own time, and next delivery would throw him the packed up crates and swap them over. Might be one of those things you can do in a small town with a regular delivery driver who gets to know you some more, but still...personable service and all that.

Still, farmers market. Also, if you're in a major city there're a few initiatives that give you seasonal boxes of veges and fruit on a weekly basis, and they deliver in cardboard and swap boxes over, no plastic. Good fun those, sometimes you get some weird veges and just gotta learn how to cook with them. Well...I enjoyed it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Everyone seems oblivious to the fact the 'bad' bags were given out hand over fist at a cost to Coles/Woolies, but they now charge for the 'good' bags.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
My understanding is that plastic bags recycled through supermarkets are one of the few things that are actually recycled in Australia.

I believe a company in Victoria make outdoor/public furniture out of them.

But if they're not accepting the heavy duty ones, then that is indeed a bit of a fail.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I wasn't going to buy into the Woolworths plastic bag saga. But...............Snip
Whilst I applaud you Woolworths inspired rant I figure I might offer up a solution to your woes, Redcycle, as @Tubbsy has alluded to above. I am very surprised this hasn't been more widely advertised, although it's probably because they'd be inundated if it was.

Z

Zaf

When I was a kid they used to use large brown paper bags for grocery shopping, why not go back to something like ?
Hippies complain about tree-felling to make paper as well as choking turtles with the alternative.
It's a strange game, the only winning move is not to play at all.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hippies complain about tree-felling to make paper as well as choking turtles with the alternative.
It's a strange game, the only winning move is not to play at all.
I don't get it because they recycle a lot of paper and cardboard here, tons of it I've been told.

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

@Flow-Rider I'm not saying I disagree with you (although, naturally, my idea of boxes is better), but pretty sure Orpah might have said something about it, so that's the fight that'll be coming your way from the soccer vans...probably while they drink large spiced latte from a disposable cup or a G&T with two straws, intermittently lecturing you between sips.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It's not hard to increase efforts to cut down on waste.

Re-usable hessian shopping bags go forever and hold loads, buying veg at the markets like Zaf says, buy your meat from a butcher not in hard plastic shells at the supermarket, choose general dry grocery goods that come in cardboard rather than plastic moulds.

A lot of plastics can't be recycled into high-grade replacements, so it just turns in to those brittle black plastic plant pots. There's also that massive floating mass of plastic in the Pacific that's bigger than France, and China (who were doing most of the recycling) is apparently currently not accepting shipments of plastic.

The amount of one-use disposable plastic for cheap items is pretty shit.

Best for recycling is aluminium - you can get the same quality again and again. Paper is good. Glass is not bad too, although the quality/transparency drops.

Anyway, there are plenty of little things you can do every day that cumulatively make a difference with little impact on your life.

Unless you're Andrew Bolt.

Flow-Rider

Burner
@Flow-Rider I'm not saying I disagree with you (although, naturally, my idea of boxes is better), but pretty sure Orpah might have said something about it, so that's the fight that'll be coming your way from the soccer vans...probably while they drink large spiced latte from a disposable cup or a G&T with two straws, intermittently lecturing you between sips.
That's another thing they can do, bring back the old spiral wax paper coated straws.

Z

Zaf

That's another thing they can do, bring back the old spiral wax paper coated straws.
Personalised, engraved, alloy/titanium straws. The way everyone used to carry their own knife and cutlery on them when they went out, just move straws to a non-disposable, prestige item that you get carry with you and use at your leisure. Like a nicely engraved fob watch, whip it out to take the sip a gentleman and a scholar would take.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's not hard to increase efforts to cut down on waste.

Re-usable hessian shopping bags go forever and hold loads, buying veg at the markets like Zaf says, buy your meat from a butcher not in hard plastic shells at the supermarket, choose general dry grocery goods that come in cardboard rather than plastic moulds.

A lot of plastics can't be recycled into high-grade replacements, so it just turns in to those brittle black plastic plant pots. There's also that massive floating mass of plastic in the Pacific that's bigger than France, and China (who were doing most of the recycling) is apparently currently not accepting shipments of plastic.

The amount of one-use disposable plastic for cheap items is pretty shit.

Best for recycling is aluminium - you can get the same quality again and again. Paper is good. Glass is not bad too, although the quality/transparency drops.

Anyway, there are plenty of little things you can do every day that cumulatively make a difference with little impact on your life.

Unless you're Andrew Bolt.
They can also make reusable bags out of hemp.

By looking at the media, it's the third world countries that are the biggest problem when it comes to oceans and plastic. Maybe we are getting in early and ahead of our time before our population gets a lot bigger.

I fish a lot in the ocean and it's not shopping bags I see often in the water, it's plastic bottles from beverages and packaging of foods plus some other strange things like shoes or thongs.