Little Things You Hate

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
A chain might be half worn at 3000km, but if you catch it before it gets too worn, you'll prolong the life of your cassette

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
A chain might be half worn at 3000km, but if you catch it before it gets too worn, you'll prolong the life of your cassette
Yep yep yep. The KMC that arrived last week is now awaiting it's maiden voyage.....

Except 12 links measures 6" because it's a 1/2" link pitch.....
12 FULL links. Inner plate + outer plate = 1 link.

Dunno if this applies, 10/11 speed chains have lower stretch tolerance compared to 9 speed which the ruler thing is based (so the internet tells me)..
Well, yes, probably. The main thing for me is it's the first time I've replaced a chain before 10-15,000km and the whole drive train is shagged. It's a whole lot of suck it and see for me.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
12 FULL links. Inner plate + outer plate = 1 link.
No, one inner + one outer is still 2 links. Look at any chain manufacturer's length note on the package (116 links is typical) and then count them; if you only count the outers (or inners) as part of a link, you'll fall short by half. By definition of being a chain, the links alternate inner & outer, but they're each separate links.

LPG

likes thicc birds
No, one inner + one outer is still 2 links. Look at any chain manufacturer's length note on the package (116 links is typical) and then count them; if you only count the outers (or inners) as part of a link, you'll fall short by half. By definition of being a chain, the links alternate inner & outer, but they're each separate links.
You are fling into the trap of believing that bike chains have anything in common with all other chains. Bike chains may seem similar but they are infact different and extra special because they go on bikes and maintained by bike mechanics who are far superior to industrial and automotive engineers who know little in comparison.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
bike mechanics who are far superior to industrial and automotive engineers who know little in comparison.
Yeah cause different industries have NEVER called the same thing a different name. Not even like different companies in the same industry swap it up, that just doesn’t happen either.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Anyway, I measured a number of links using a hand held measuring device, and by using an out of date method it showed some wear but not enough to discard it.

The shiny new KMC chain that went on ran beautifully on the way to work this morning. Bout all I care about at this stage.

If your using my word as gospel then you're in deeper shit than I....

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
You'd have to think that there would be a good chance of this guy being caught.
Not likely...

called police when he got home, but said he was disappointed to be told they were unlikely to take any action "unless someone comes forward with evidence".

Typical apathy by the plod and Monday is another Operation Pedro.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Typical apathy by the plod and Monday is another Operation Pedro.
That really makes my blood boil. In a lot of ways this could have been far worse, a car would have been going much faster and could potentially have crashed. Are the NSW police really OK with allowing nutters to sabotage roads because it so happened in this case that a cyclist got injured?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That really makes my blood boil. In a lot of ways this could have been far worse, a car would have been going much faster and could potentially have crashed. Are the NSW police really OK with allowing nutters to sabotage roads because it so happened in this case that a cyclist got injured?
Yes. I hate to burst everyones bubble, but policing in Australia has fuck all to do with stopping actual crime. It's more about making people feel safe. Less than 10% of police resources in NSW are directed towards crime, the rest is 'community policing'. Ie putting cops in marginal seats with lots of old boomers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
It would appear so, although this might gain a bit of traction now that it has made the front page of the SMH and I'm sure that when these guys get home and sort themselves (*and bikes) out there will be a few more complaints to the local station.

*5 bikes down on a club ride on the Northern beaches, I imagine there's some coin tied up in that lot.