Little Things You Hate

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My first boss had one of those in a Canary yellow, they were a sought after car back then.
I almost bought a sedan version (not nearly as desirable but still super nice) back in the late 90s for $3K. I got scared by what I thought might have been a big end knock, but still regret not having bought it... Even the sedan would have made me money in the interim and were just as nice to drive as the CS.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Not sure if Im reading this right, but did the killer get off because the police screwed up the recording of the scene...?

It sorta sounds that way doesn't it? I think the way it is written portrays that anyway.
Either way, its a terrible thing to have happened, especially the guy that unfortunately hit him. Lets face it, had he have seen the guy, we'd probably be celebrating a massive feat in cycling. There are things written in that article that suggest the cyclist (thats me and you and everyone else on the road on a pushy) can put more stuff on their setup to make them stand out without distracting other road users. I run a red light during the day and admittedly; I ride on rural roads at 4am to avoid traffic to get my fix. Its a bloody dangerous game to play and you hope that people are aware of you being there but as they say, accidents happen. :(

Haakon

I run a red light in the middle of a summer day! In fact, I reckon its even more important on country back roads because of the contrast in light in the shadows - bitumen colour and eucalyptus trees and you vanish when go into the shadows from the sun... I wear a high vis green jersey too.

Still. I really hope this wasn't a police screw up... If he had a light and reflective gear, this is surely a chargeable offense.

Binaural

Eats Squid
This is a good time to remind everyone in this thread to always keep your flashing lights on when riding on the road, even during the day. There's abundant evidence from motorcycles that this is a lifesaver.

scblack

Leucocholic
This is a good time to remind everyone in this thread to always keep your flashing lights on when riding on the road, even during the day. There's abundant evidence from motorcycles that this is a lifesaver.
I take that a step further. There was a story by a RAAF pilot who suggests:
Front flashing light, on bike.
Also have a Solid white light on front.

Reason being, the flashing light catches the eye and the solid light then gives reference point for distance from the vehicle.

I have flasher on bike and solid on helmet.

Then have red rear flashers on bike and helmet also.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I run a red light in the middle of a summer day! In fact, I reckon its even more important on country back roads because of the contrast in light in the shadows - bitumen colour and eucalyptus trees and you vanish when go into the shadows from the sun... I wear a high vis green jersey too.

Still. I really hope this wasn't a police screw up... If he had a light and reflective gear, this is surely a chargeable offense.
I'd say the evidence of other drivers that he had been difficult to see were probably a bigger factor.

"The inquest heard evidence from a number of motorists who had passed Mr Hall before the collision and described him as difficult to see. They said they had been surprised to see a cyclist on the Monaro Highway at night."

Hard to imagine someone with a rear light being hard to see, but I guess it depends on how bright it was, whether it was obscured somehow by gear etc.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Reason being, the flashing light catches the eye and the solid light then gives reference point for distance from the vehicle.
My Exposure front light and helmet lights have a mixed steady with brief flash overlaid. You have the steady light for ranging but the flash for attention - I've been very happy with them. Solid advice!

Haakon

Hard to imagine someone with a rear light being hard to see, but I guess it depends on how bright it was, whether it was obscured somehow by gear etc.
Or it gone flat and he decided to ride anyway... Dunno. But I'm struggling to believe someone who rode on the roads as much as he did took shortcuts.

Aussie driver's idea of "he was hard to see" is usually code for "I wasnt looking and he surprised me"...

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While I have no idea about the road in question, in a number of altercations commuting over the years I have heard the SMIDSY defence so many times it’s become comical. SMIDSY doesn’t absolve you of responsibility, it’s an admission that you weren’t paying enough attention to your surroundings.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Aussie driver's idea of "he was hard to see" is usually code for "I wasnt looking and he surprised me"...
There are legitimate cases, albeit rare. I had to have two shoulder reconstruction surgeries after a guy hit me over going through a roundabout where he was partially blinded by the flare of the sun just over the treetops behind me (heaps of light). He wasn't speeding and he was looking right in my direction, but the glare hid me at a critical moment. A flashing light might have saved me a great deal of pain and surgeries, which is why I want to emphasise the value here!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Here we go again with MTBA saying you need an Australian approved helmet to race the national championships. #boycottmtba

Edit: Anyone from outside Australia can wear an approved helmet from Antarctica though but Aussies? It must have a southern cross star or some bullshit on it. What a crock.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I understand that's not exactly what you meant but would a motorcycle be permitted a flashing light under the ADRs?