Little Things You Hate

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Geoblocking... again.

Chasing a specific Shimano crankset for the dirt roadie...comes in a couple of cheaper price points that suit 10 speed drivetrains. However, no-one locally seems to know anything about them.

So I called Shimano Oz and asked them..."yeah mate, we're not bringing those in...only the more expensive ones (paraphrasing). And if you want those specific ones then I don't know how you are going to get around the geoblocking...so you are shit out of luck and I don't care (paraphrasing again).".

It appears I could with a carefully picked outlet in the US but given the Shimano gouge there as well there's not much dollar benefit in it once all the shipping is done. Certainly not the benefit available from some of the European outlets anyway...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Geoblocking... again.

Chasing a specific Shimano crankset for the dirt roadie...comes in a couple of cheaper price points that suit 10 speed drivetrains. However, no-one locally seems to know anything about them.

So I called Shimano Oz and asked them..."yeah mate, we're not bringing those in...only the more expensive ones (paraphrasing). And if you want those specific ones then I don't know how you are going to get around the geoblocking...so you are shit out of luck and I don't care (paraphrasing again).".

It appears I could with a carefully picked outlet in the US but given the Shimano gouge there as well there's not much dollar benefit in it once all the shipping is done. Certainly not the benefit available from some of the European outlets anyway...
Have you tried Ebay and Aliexpress? You might even be able to order over the phone from Taiwan.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Geoblocking... again.

You might be able to snoop some out on Aliexpress, just make you pick a vendor with quite a few sales in the history.

Binaural

Eats Squid
This is the best option. No easier nor cheaper but you will be able to get what you need.
Agreed. The other recommended alternative is to progressively ease Shimano out of your bikes, as their service and prices have fallen in the toilet in the rush to extract more money from their customers via geoblocking.

silentbutdeadly

This is the best option. No easier nor cheaper but you will be able to get what you need.
No doubt. Except that the next level up in the Shimano range is available locally and getting around the geoblocking plus freight is taking the cheaper crankset perilously close in cost to that of the locally available version.

There are other options available to me through FSA, Praxis and Absolute Black to explore before I take the final plunge into an actual decision. There is also a Sugino option as well but Holy Mother of Financial Imposts is it expensive!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm surprised you haven't just ditched the bike and got a whole new one. This crank fiasco is a sign from a higher power...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm surprised you haven't just ditched the bike and got a whole new one. This crank fiasco is a sign from a higher power...
It is a rort. I have purchased stuff off Jenson and got over the free shipping limit to send to my US postbox.

Fortunately bike stuff isn't too heavy and using a reboxing option helped to keep the price a bit more friendly.

They want the benefits of a globalised market without the downside of a globalised market.

silentbutdeadly

Are you reading my mind?

I've done too much research in the last 24 hours...and decided to go instead with a plain old 110 BCD compact road crankset for the dirt roadie and augment an unused White Industries crank for the Twinzer with a 2x (40/30) setup and a front derailleur for gravel and firetrail miles.

...until I change my mind again.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are you reading my mind?

I've done too much research in the last 24 hours...and decided to go instead with a plain old 110 BCD compact road crankset for the dirt roadie and augment an unused White Industries crank for the Twinzer with a 2x (40/30) setup and a front derailleur for gravel and firetrail miles.

...until I change my mind again.
This is in preparation for sale yeah?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Off to my once a year fishing trip, not sure why I bother after seeing the hive of fuckwits getting larger every year. First fuckwit thinks I'm going to stop in the middle of soft sand to pull his 3 1/2 ton car and camper van out, second FW from down south starts talking to me after he's had a fish and doesn't even know the catch size and or limit of the fish he's caught, third FW turns his high powered light bar on me and then decides to park up next to me for a fish, has the music blaring then I get his empty beer cans floating past my feet, he's that stupid he even forgets to remove the coaster from one. It was a tough gig holding it together without abusing the hell out of him after removing his empty cans from the water, I just wished that the park rangers were in the right spot at the right time to deal with these idiotic people.

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Warning said turn off engine and check coolant. Last night when that came on the trmp guage qas maybe 1/3 of the way between its normal position and the red line.

The worksheet says perform recall notice xyz, replace heater element and test plan ok. I'm guessing they didnt clamp a hose but i have no real knowledge. Their rep. Called today and i asked if i could use Audi parramatta as its mich closer most days, gave me one nunber which hung up after one ring. Websites number went through to service where it rung out.
Was gonna have a shot about it being an Audi. Then finding it was just made me sad. Sadly I know 2 folks have been similar lately at Melbourne dealerships after their 2k basic services..

LPG

likes thicc birds
The price of Cassettes to suit XD Drivers.

I want to get my aggro hardtail (what was my only bike until earlier this year) back to running well with some Magura MT5 brakes, discs and new cassette, chainring, chain and tyres. I keep delaying it because I hate the idea of buying a $200 11 speed cassette when I wasn't getting much more than a year of good running life out of them. Glad I went Shimano 11 spd on my new build, while a bit heavier due to the freewheel design the XT 11spd cassettes are half the price and seem to last better.

Edit: This prompted an ad in the trading area to buy a Hope Pro 4 HG (standard) or swap for XD freehub.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
What are you doing to flog your cassettes out after only a year? Both mine are still good as new after 2 1/2.

Anyway...LTIH: that sticky greasy shit they coat new chains with. Why not just pack them already covered in dirt and sand, and save some time?

LPG

likes thicc birds
What are you doing to flog your cassettes out after only a year? Both mine are still good as new after 2 1/2.
I keep them for longer than a year, but once I built up the new bike I realised how long I had been putting up with poor shifting. The teeth look ok wear wise, I think its teeth that are slightly bent. A lot of the local climbing is up challenging technical stuff that needs short bursts of hard cranking. Im a fit 90kg and don't hold back on the climbs.

The first gx cassette died when the freehub bearings on the old hub collapsed underneath and the cassette was put at the wrong angle bending teeth which isn't really the cassettes fault, but the new cassette has been through much less stress and isn't running well anymore.

Might just try and bend some teeth back and see how I go for a bit longer