Little Things You Hate

Flow-Rider

Burner
Driving on beaches is pretty douchy in general. Park in the car park and walk in ya lazy pricks. So many things live on and in beaches!
Do you ever sit back and listen to yourself, what lived where your house stands before they built it or on the road you drive your car on ?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Shittonne more animals die on bitumen roads ... just saying, not one person commenting above is innocent of this.
Plovers even nest on median strips of the road, no one gives a rat's behind, as soon as they nest on a beach it's the end of the world.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's the dumbest case of 'whataboutism' I've heard for a while. Roads are a necessity to get us from A to B. They're essential pieces of infrastructure and we could not function as a society without them. Also kangaroos are fucking idiots and they really should have learned about cars by now.

Beaches on the other hand are extremely narrow habitats where creatures like turtles and birds and whatnot lay their eggs and people go to chill out and get away from traffic and shit. They are not designed for vehicles to drive along and there are no parts of the country where it is a necessity for people to do so. If you want to travel along the coast without using the nearby roads (that you've already paid for with your taxes), buy a boat ya cheap fucks!
They actually close areas off on the beach here where turtles nest, during nesting season. Like I said if you think mountain bike trails don't impact flora and fauna maybe do some research.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Where I camp on the Fraser Coast that part of the beach is classed as a road and road rules apply, even soft sand above the tidal zone. I try to avoid it because of salt etc and clean up and I am lazy though it is much faster and easier at low tide (+/- 3 hours) than the inland track. I won't drive above the high tide mark when I rarely do. Last few years we have seen more and more turtles nest along the beach which makes it unattractive (to me) to drive on at night. Locals have been guilty of trying to obliterate signs of nesting and one gave me a blast for calling the Rangers about a nest I saw fattybiking one morning. The Rangers document these new nests and enter the locations on a master map to monitor turtle movements. I am guessing this section of beach will eventually be closed to traffic though so many fisherpeoples travel on the beach on weekends it gets like Adelaide St at peak hour. At the waters edge and to high tide there are still crabs and things in the sand if not larger aminals so damage is done whether it is quantifiable or not. While it is legal driving on the beach will continue. Bush driving and riding also impacts creatures. I don't have an answer.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Plovers even nest on median strips of the road, no one gives a rat's behind, as soon as they nest on a beach it's the end of the world.
That’s because the Plovers aren’t nesting directly on the road surface. And as you mentioned yourself driving on the beach atttacts all sorts of moronic bogans who most certainly don’t give a shit if they squish a bird, turtle or what have you.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Where I camp on the Fraser Coast that part of the beach is classed as a road and road rules apply, even soft sand above the tidal zone. I try to avoid it because of salt etc and clean up and I am lazy though it is much faster and easier at low tide (+/- 3 hours) than the inland track. I won't drive above the high tide mark when I rarely do. Last few years we have seen more and more turtles nest along the beach which makes it unattractive (to me) to drive on at night. Locals have been guilty of trying to obliterate signs of nesting and one gave me a blast for calling the Rangers about a nest I saw fattybiking one morning. The Rangers document these new nests and enter the locations on a master map to monitor turtle movements. I am guessing this section of beach will eventually be closed to traffic though so many fisherpeoples travel on the beach on weekends it gets like Adelaide St at peak hour. At the waters edge and to high tide there are still crabs and things in the sand if not larger aminals so damage is done whether it is quantifiable or not. While it is legal driving on the beach will continue. Bush driving and riding also impacts creatures. I don't have an answer.
You are a bad man ;), people say that beach vehicles have a big impact on marine worms but have a look at Double Island point, the place is full of them. I think Pipi's are one thing that beach vehicles will impact, but not much will stay in the hard sand during low tides. You're not meant to be anywhere near the sand dunes at any time, where a lot of animals nest, but I've seen rangers move turtles eggs to a safer place on Teewah beach after locals fenced the nesting site off. Doesn't matter what we do, we have an environmental impact on everything we just about do, some things matter more to people than others for personal reasons but getting up high on moral ground can be dangerous.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That’s because the Plovers aren’t nesting directly on the road surface. And as you mentioned yourself driving on the beach atttacts all sorts of moronic bogans who most certainly don’t give a shit if they squish a bird, turtle or what have you.
They don't directly nest on the beach in the tidal area either, it's illegal to go near sand dunes here.
You've never seen a flat plover on the road? Idiots are everywhere, not much I can do about that, I can only report them if I see them run down animals purposely on the beach.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
They actually close areas off on the beach here where turtles nest, during nesting season. Like I said if you think mountain bike trails don't impact flora and fauna maybe do some research.
A 4x4 driving down a narrow stretch of beach has a far, far bigger relative footprint than a 1m wide trail that's cut through a couple of hectares of bush.

Also mountain bikes don't make a shit-ton of noise and are ridden by the sort of cool dudes who hang out on sites like this whereas folk who thrash their 4x4s on the beach are usually fat, lazy obnoxious bastards who think that jet-skis are too subtle.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A 4x4 driving down a narrow stretch of beach has a far, far bigger relative footprint than a 1m wide trail that's cut through a couple of hectares of bush.

Also mountain bikes don't make a shit-ton of noise and are ridden by the sort of cool dudes who hang out on sites like this whereas folk who thrash their 4x4s on the beach are usually fat, lazy obnoxious bastards who think that jet-skis are too subtle.
You've done an area specific environmental study to prove this? It could be so in certain areas, maybe not in others. Ever heard of the effects of forest fragmentation on animal habitats? Also, sand comes and goes back onto the beach naturally, it doesn't normally happen like that in the bush.

Bad people are everywhere, even in the bush on MTB's, how many times have you had to cover up tree roots from people skidding the trail, I only picked up a water bottle and gel packets off the ground this last Wednesday. You can't pick on one activity and say they're all douches and then do the same in another area. How many birds and insects do planes hit, the noise can also disperse animal feeding habitats, better ban people from holidaying in planes too then or that doesn't fit in with the Coool club of responsibility. When the green movement gets up and running at full speed, it will be people like you that will cry the loudest when trails get closed down.

I understand people are passionate about certain aspects of the environment and good on them, but the argument can be convoluted at times. Scold the chumps that do the wrong thing not stereotype everyone from the same group, mountain biking isn't perfect when concerning environmental problems. There's no obese people in mountain biking too, come off the grass son ;).