Little Things You Hate

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Yeah, but you didn’t say ‘crazy’ and ‘Americans’ in the same sentence. Soft cone.
[/QUO
I thought that was a given...but just to prove it. A couple of weeks later, the Fire Brigade and police Force started fighting each other at Ground Zero, over who was gong to be allowed access to the site. It got that badover the coming days, that all off duty police officers were banned from carrying firearms when off duty (which up until then, they were allowed to do), so they didn't start shooting the firemen....I kid you not!
Crazy? Those f@$kers were way past crazy...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I was working in NYC in 2001 and was sat at my desk one morning when I saw this huge building drop to the floor after this plane had misguidedly tried to land on/in it.
Crazy ! I used to see this chick when she came home to N Ireland, she was working in a Manhattan office block in view of the towers, she sent me a txt message telling me about the plane that just hit the tower, we swapped a few messages while we watched on TV then nothing from her after the second plane hit and the world realised it was not an accident.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Crazy ! I used to see this chick when she came home to N Ireland, she was working in a Manhattan office block in view of the towers, she sent me a txt message telling me about the plane that just hit the tower, we swapped a few messages while we watched on TV then nothing from her after the second plane hit and the world realised it was not an accident.
Looking back, it was madness. I was sat at my desk and a colleague came in and said something along the lines of “ apparently a plane just hit the WTC”. We just thought one of the traffic planes, or weather choppers had hit it and didn’t pay any real attention. Then a second guy comes in and says, the WTC is on fire. Even when the second tower was alight, we thought the flames from the first tower had somehow leapt across to WTC2. Only when someone actually turned on the TV, did we know what was really going on. Seems dumb now, being only 1km away from it, but we had no idea what was going on. Lots of us lost people in those towers. It was a shitty time all round.

ozzybmx

a colleague came in and said something along the lines of “ apparently a plane just hit the WTC”. We just thought one of the traffic planes, or weather choppers had hit it and didn’t pay any real attention.
Thats exactly what she though it was. A random crop sprayer hit a tower... then the flames she says, couldn't believe the fire. Then the other plane...

ozzybmx

Its a shit thing but 2900 people died in the US sept 2001. We lost 3300 over the length of the troubles.

The US supported and funded Noraid until 911, they brought Martin Magennis and Gerry Adams to the Whitehouse every year for St Paddy day and celebrated their Irish roots. BTW IRA Martin Magennis fired the first shot on Bloody Sunday at the English Paratroop regiments. Thats on film. Gerry was the Derry/Belfast IRA commander.

From 911 the US declared war on terrorism and outlawed their Irish roots, forcing a ceasefire in Ireland.

It was the single most decisive action that forced peace in Northern Ireland.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looking back, it was madness. I was sat at my desk and a colleague came in and said something along the lines of “ apparently a plane just hit the WTC”. We just thought one of the traffic planes, or weather choppers had hit it and didn’t pay any real attention. Then a second guy comes in and says, the WTC is on fire. Even when the second tower was alight, we thought the flames from the first tower had somehow leapt across to WTC2. Only when someone actually turned on the TV, did we know what was really going on. Seems dumb now, being only 1km away from it, but we had no idea what was going on. Lots of us lost people in those towers. It was a shitty time all round.
I was here in Qld working late on a work site talking to a colleague from upstate NY (about a project we were helping with in Kansas) when the first aircraft hit the tower. They had the news rolling on a TV in the background, I think they were in the lunchroom grabbing a coffee.

A few of the others in the office had family and/or friends who worked in Manhattan. Lots of anguish made worse when the telephone networks went down. Very very sad.

That "other job" meant I travelled to NY 3 months later and then another trip about 12 months after that. Very sobering even after a year.