Little Things You Hate

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Plankosaurus

Here ya go

Thanks mate, I'll get cracking on it again tomorrow.

I tried some last night, one set per side, and felt Ill till this afternoon. The reading here tells me I should be doing a few sets per side, I think I'm going to need a bucket for this

Nice to know I'm not necessarily stuck with it, this is no way to live your life

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

I tried some last night, one set per side, and felt Ill till this afternoon. The reading here tells me I should be doing a few sets per side, I think I'm going to need a bucket for this

Nice to know I'm not necessarily stuck with it, this is no way to live your life

Luckily you have sympathetic siblings...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Agreed, it is pretty crappy. At the time I was night fill manager and was supposed to be using a walkie-stacker to put pallets of shonky-wrapped stock in 8 meter high ranking. Thankfully bikes do a lot of the staying upright themselves, I could keep riding on the road at least

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mum and I think at least one sister got/gets this. I was with mum one day when she had a bad attack, it was very cruel. She was weeding a garden and was laid flat. On her own she would have lain in the sun for hours until someone happened past. She could not move without being violently ill, I picked her and carried her to bed, lots of time, some drugs and lots of water later she was ok again. Good luck with the fix.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Luckily you have sympathetic siblings...
My grammar was not so good. The amusement was for the fact @Plankosaurus has something in common with sis. The condition itself is pretty horrible. My sister in law also gets it but manages with exercises.
I spent enough time with two pregnancies with "morning sickness" (which is never confined to just the morning and will strike whenever the hell it wants). Plus a few weeks of balance issues and general confusion due to aforementioned ear infection.
I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone, even Planko.

Oh yeah, LTIH: permanent tinnitus. Any sufferers with tips on managing getting to sleep?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Mum and I think at least one sister got/gets this. I was with mum one day when she had a bad attack, it was very cruel. She was weeding a garden and was laid flat. On her own she would have lain in the sun for hours until someone happened past. She could not move without being violently ill, I picked her and carried her to bed, lots of time, some drugs and lots of water later she was ok again. Good luck with the fix.
Craziness. Can't believe how common this is without having heard of it

Can only imagine what it's be like for older folk. Took me 3 goes to sit up when it first happened, just kept falling back.

Agreed, it is pretty crappy. At the time I was night fill manager and was supposed to be using a walkie-stacker to put pallets of shonky-wrapped stock in 8 meter high ranking. Thankfully bikes do a lot of the staying upright themselves, I could keep riding on the road at least
Riding road holy shit, I spent most of the morning shuffling around like a 90 year old because the world wouldn't stop wobbling. I'm thinking of trying the trainer tomorrow, still wary I might fall off the damn thing though

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Craziness. Can't believe how common this is without having heard of it

Can only imagine what it's be like for older folk. Took me 3 goes to sit up when it first happened, just kept falling back.

Riding road holy shit, I spent most of the morning shuffling around like a 90 year old because the world wouldn't stop wobbling. I'm thinking of trying the trainer tomorrow, still wary I might fall off the damn thing though

When I say road I mean on a MTB, on back roads of the back roads at 11am and 10.30pm. Most days I didn't see a car until I was in Mildura proper

Jpez

Down on the left!
People that ask for a quote and don’t even have the decency to reply back and say sorry changed our mind or sorry we thought that a completely recycled timber custom made unit designed specifically for their needs would be cheaper than IKEA of DFO. Shock horror!
I get people have stuff going on and sometimes they forget, or other major stuff is happening and a piece of furniture takes a back seat. But I can spend hours on a quote. Even a $1000 bar unit I made took 2plus hours of running around looking for just the right Iron bark bridge beam existed before I’d even gotten gotten the job!
And I’m not built for sitting in an office chair in front of a computer. I’m not made for it. My mind wanders after about 3 seconds, my mouse arm hurts and I find myself here or somewhere. I hate paperwork! Sometimes I’ll hear nothing and assume they weren’t interested and 3 months later they call and say let’s go ahead. Then I have to reacquaint myself with the quote and current material prices and update it even though each quote has “quote valid for 30 days at the bottom’ and they’re surprised I have to put the price up!
And the latest thing during lockdowns is I get heaps of enquires that I know are going to go nowhere. It’s just someone bored at home wondering how much that entertainment or whatever unit will cost. But I still have to put in the time to do the quote knowing I’ll probably never hear from them again. And they probably won’t go ahead because they are uncertain and nervous and probably had no intentions anyway. They’re just killing time. Yeah so am I. I’m also homeschooling and sitting at home twiddling my thumbs. Just don’t waste my fucking time. After lockdown I have to visit about 7 people and do quotes. That’s probably about 2 days worth of work I need to be spending playing the continuous Covid game of catch-up and installing the stuff sitting waiting in my factory so I can claw in a bit of money to pay the outgoings. People also don’t seem to think lockdowns change schedules. What do you mean you have to push the job back I get often.
Normally I’d have a hit rate of maybe 5 of those 7. Now I’ll probably get one of those jobs.
It’s not like asking a shop attendant how much is this product? It requires a lot of time , research and effort to give them a price. Wish I could charge up front for a quote. Sure. I’ll let you waste my time but it will cost you $200. Yeah right.
I’d even prefer it if they messaged back and said no thanks. We think you’re a rip off. At least I know where I stand and I can stop wondering if that job might come live. Some people don’t even respond to my “how are you going with the quote? message I send.
rant over. But seriously. People suck.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
"How can I quickly reduce tinnitus?

These tips may help:
  1. Use hearing protection. Over time, exposure to loud sounds can damage the nerves in the ears, causing hearing loss and tinnitus.
  2. Turn down the volume.
  3. Use white noise.
  4. Limit alcohol, caffeine and nicotine.
So no help there, first two are too late, 3rd is country and western music and the fourth impossible to achieve."

I have it too, music is the only thing that helps. Headphones are good.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
People that ask for a quote and don’t even have the decency to reply back and say sorry changed our mind or sorry we thought that a completely recycled timber custom made unit designed specifically for their needs would be cheaper than IKEA of DFO. Shock horror!
I get people have stuff going on and sometimes they forget, or other major stuff is happening and a piece of furniture takes a back seat. But I can spend hours on a quote. Even a $1000 bar unit I made took 2plus hours of running around looking for just the right Iron bark bridge beam existed before I’d even gotten gotten the job!
And I’m not built for sitting in an office chair in front of a computer. I’m not made for it. My mind wanders after about 3 seconds, my mouse arm hurts and I find myself here or somewhere. I hate paperwork! Sometimes I’ll hear nothing and assume they weren’t interested and 3 months later they call and say let’s go ahead. Then I have to reacquaint myself with the quote and current material prices and update it even though each quote has “quote valid for 30 days at the bottom’ and they’re surprised I have to put the price up!
And the latest thing during lockdowns is I get heaps of enquires that I know are going to go nowhere. It’s just someone bored at home wondering how much that entertainment or whatever unit will cost. But I still have to put in the time to do the quote knowing I’ll probably never hear from them again. And they probably won’t go ahead because they are uncertain and nervous and probably had no intentions anyway. They’re just killing time. Yeah so am I. I’m also homeschooling and sitting at home twiddling my thumbs. Just don’t waste my fucking time. After lockdown I have to visit about 7 people and do quotes. That’s probably about 2 days worth of work I need to be spending playing the continuous Covid game of catch-up and installing the stuff sitting waiting in my factory so I can claw in a bit of money to pay the outgoings. People also don’t seem to think lockdowns change schedules. What do you mean you have to push the job back I get often.
Normally I’d have a hit rate of maybe 5 of those 7. Now I’ll probably get one of those jobs.
It’s not like asking a shop attendant how much is this product? It requires a lot of time , research and effort to give them a price. Wish I could charge up front for a quote. Sure. I’ll let you waste my time but it will cost you $200. Yeah right.
I’d even prefer it if they messaged back and said no thanks. We think you’re a rip off. At least I know where I stand and I can stop wondering if that job might come live. Some people don’t even respond to my “how are you going with the quote? message I send.
Could you change the way you deal with initial enquires? Instead of a comprehensive quote up front what about an estimate? Then if they decide to proceed it's a $200 fee to do the proper measure and quote and that fee is deducted off the final cost if they go ahead.

Minlak

custom titis
What is your initial process when approached for the business?
What Questions are you asking?
*Time Frame
*Budget
*Set expectation of follow up at time of initial contact - " After I send the quote through I will give you a quick call a few days / 7 days later if I haven't heard from you - reset expectation at this call if they are non committal.

What is your follow up process?
Sometimes I’ll hear nothing and assume they weren’t interested and 3 months later they call and say let’s go ahead.
You would be surprised how many people think they have replied and then get mad because you have not contacted them. Also some people will assume your busy they might be a bit wishy washy and don't want to bother you assuming you are busy - particularly if your language at each interaction has in any way conveyed your lack of enthusiasm for quoting or that you are super busy and you will try and get something to them.

I am not picking just trying to add another perspective with out knowing your whole process.