Little Things You Hate

Jpez

Down on the left!
Could you change the way you deal with initial enquires? Instead of a comprehensive quote up front what about an estimate? Then if they decide to proceed it's a $200 fee to do the proper measure and quote and that fee is deducted off the final cost if they go ahead.
What is your initial process when approached for the business?
What Questions are you asking?
*Time Frame
*Budget
*Set expectation of follow up at time of initial contact - " After I send the quote through I will give you a quick call a few days / 7 days later if I haven't heard from you - reset expectation at this call if they are non committal.

What is your follow up process?

You would be surprised how many people think they have replied and then get mad because you have not contacted them. Also some people will assume your busy they might be a bit wishy washy and don't want to bother you assuming you are busy - particularly if your language at each interaction has in any way conveyed your lack of enthusiasm for quoting or that you are super busy and you will try and get something to them.

I am not picking just trying to add another perspective with out knowing your whole process.
Both good questions! I’ll get to you on it shortly.

Minlak

custom titis
Could you change the way you deal with initial enquires? Instead of a comprehensive quote up front what about an estimate? Then if they decide to proceed it's a $200 fee to do the proper measure and quote and that fee is deducted off the final cost if they go ahead.
If you told me I had to pay for your quote I would get it done elsewhere - We are getting new kitchen and they take ages to quote (not suggesting @Jpez effort is less btw) but no way I would spend money just for them to tell me how much I needed to spend.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Pee on your feet in the shower. Also, white noise. I can’t sleep without something quiet playing. It also drowns our the voices.
Endorsed by Madonna. FIIK why I remember that.

Insultingly, the clock radio I have does random bursts of loud static. The radio has never worked so it sounds like a dying plea and gives me a start every time.
I might look into one of those white noise machines that are used to get babies to sleep.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
If you told me I had to pay for your quote I would get it done elsewhere - We are getting new kitchen and they take ages to quote (not suggesting @Jpez effort is less btw) but no way I would spend money just for them to tell me how much I needed to spend.
I can see your point but most kitchen customers already head in with an idea of how much they'll be up for, it sounds like Jpez's work is a bit more niche. I was more thinking he could show prospective customers a range of previous work and what they cost in order to quickly filter out the tyre kickers.

Minlak

custom titis
I can see your point but most kitchen customers already head in with an idea of how much they'll be up for, it sounds like Jpez's work is a bit more niche. I was more thinking he could show prospective customers a range of previous work and what they cost in order to quickly filter out the tyre kickers.
This is a great idea

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Y’all are being too helpful.
New bike time @Jpez.

Mr boogersuger’s idea is actually good though.
And yeah, those aren’t quotes, they’re “design consultations”, and people pay a fortune to say they’ve had a consultant come in and design them a tallboy. Bonus points for having a “holistic design process” you implement that encompasses how the bench will “enhance their feng shui”.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
New bike time @Jpez.

And yeah, those aren’t quotes, they’re “design consultations”, and people pay a fortune to say they’ve had a consultant come in and design them a tallboy. Bonus points for having a “holistic design process” you implement that encompasses how the bench will “enhance their feng shui”.
You forgot "reclaimed material" and "bespoke one-off design".

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
New bike time @Jpez.

You forgot the most important word of all...

Bespoke

As for paying for the quote, bike shops get me to pay a fee everytime my insurance company wants a replacement quote. I hink that's fair as it takes a bit of work.

Now actual business advice for @Jpez is pretty simple...sell all your shit, deck out a van to impossible standards, and start driving around Australia Instagramming how amazing your life is now you have given everything away, including your children's education and future to fit everyone in a van. Oh and never ever ever admit it's too small a space or the kids drive you nuts! And get a new bike.

Jpez

Down on the left!
So basically everything I do is completely custom. I generally give someone an estimate to gauge how serious they are. If they turn white I don’t bother. But the level of complexity of some jobs still requires a bit of time just to work out an estimate. Generally most people will receive an estimate and say go ahead with the quote because they’re curious I guess. Remember I work in the cashed up inner city. These people have money. The quote time is built into the final price. Up front quote quotes don’t exist anymore for trade stuff. Architects, designers etc sure. When you see a van and it says “free quotes” that’s just ridiculous.

What is your initial process when approached for the business?
What Questions are you asking?
*Time Frame
*Budget
*Set expectation of follow up at time of initial contact - " After I send the quote through I will give you a quick call a few days / 7 days later if I haven't heard from you - reset expectation at this call if they are non committal.

What is your follow up process?

You would be surprised how many people think they have replied and then get mad because you have not contacted them. Also some people will assume your busy they might be a bit wishy washy and don't want to bother you assuming you are busy - particularly if your language at each interaction has in any way conveyed your lack of enthusiasm for quoting or that you are super busy and you will try and get something to them.

I am not picking just trying to add another perspective with out knowing your whole process.
Basically everything you say above is my process. I follow up just about every job. The ones I want at least. I even call back people that leave a message asking for something I obviously don’t do. I’m super approachable and never walk on with mud on my boots or butt crack showing. Respect for someones ‘home’ goes a long long way.
And yes I’ve definitely followed up and the customer thought they’d responded with the go ahead or ive actually written out the quote but didn’t hit send and they never received it so thought I wasn’t interested! So definitely some of that.
Normally it’s fine. You’ll always get the tire kickers or the yes- usually women- that see something on the block and excitedly call me the next day wanting me to do just that but have forgotten about it the day after that.
It’s just worse at the moment because shit is every which way. People have bigger things to worry about. I’m just a small casualty of that.
I was just having a vent I guess.

Jpez

Down on the left!
You forgot the most important word of all...

Bespoke

As for paying for the quote, bike shops get me to pay a fee everytime my insurance company wants a replacement quote. I hink that's fair as it takes a bit of work.

Now actual business advice for @Jpez is pretty simple...sell all your shit, deck out a van to impossible standards, and start driving around Australia Instagramming how amazing your life is now you have given everything away, including your children's education and future to fit everyone in a van. Oh and never ever ever admit it's too small a space or the kids drive you nuts! And get a new bike.
I like that idea a lot! I got Jack of the normal life, sold everything but my tools and bought a one way ticket to south east Asia for a few years so it’s not alien to me!

Jpez

Down on the left!
New bike time @Jpez.

You can only charge design consult fee when you’ve been featured in ‘makers monthly’ and have a couple of design awards. I’m just a hack carpenter pretending to be a joiner because my backs too fucked to build houses anymore. And there’s more and more people like me everyday. Bloody hell. Look up recycled shit on gumtree. The amount junk being peddled as ‘bespoke’ furniture is redickerous

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
LTIH 1: Sartre was wrong. Hell is home-schooling. Although if the 'other people' he was referring to was your kids, then he was right.

LTIH 2: Getting this email from Bike Components and knowing my balls are going to go a deep shade of vioet over the next month or two.

"Hi Andrew,

Deine Bestellung XB5859301X ging heute in den Versand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Paket-Nummer: CU121360611DE"

LTIL:

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
LTIH 1: Sartre was wrong. Hell is home-schooling. Although if the 'other people' he was referring to was your kids, the he was right.

LTIH 2: Getting this email from Bike Components and knowing my balls are going to go a deep shade of vioet over the next month or two.

"Hi Andrew,

LTIL:

1) You had unprotected sex and now you must pay. That's the rules.

2) ARE YOU GETTING A G1?!?!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
LTIH 1: Sartre was wrong. Hell is home-schooling. Although if the 'other people' he was referring to was your kids, then he was right.

"Hi Andrew,

LTIL:

Not sure, but the 2 families I have in very close proximity both have before school aged kids and I swear those arseholes et them razzed up and out in the courtyard early as revenge on me for my late night party for one antics. So I say he was right about other people, especially children.

On the subject of stupid neighbours! I have a newer hipster family (only been there a few months) who need a big ute for their cosy inner city life style. I thought hipsters were supposed to be smarter than that? They appear to care enough for the planet to have installed a compost bin on he median strip. By comparison the family directly opposite them of similar composition have all the state's solar panels on their roof and a small electric car. Ummmmm people with oversized cars are silly.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
You can only charge design consult fee when you’ve been featured in ‘makers monthly’ and have a couple of design awards. I’m just a hack carpenter pretending to be a joiner because my backs too fucked to build houses anymore. And there’s more and more people like me everyday. Bloody hell. Look up recycled shit on gumtree. The amount junk being peddled as ‘bespoke’ furniture is redickerous
Must be a pretty shit bespoke chippy if you can't knock up some fake design-award trophies! :p

Jpez

Down on the left!
Must be a pretty shit bespoke chippy if you can't knock up some fake design-award trophies! :p
I bought some wine the other day and it had a little gold award thing on the label.
Knowing next to nothing about wine I’m like “ooh that looks pretty special “ and went to grab it off the shelf. My missus who is many degrees smarter than myself said have a closer look at the award you idiot. It literally said ‘award winning’. No mention of what awards. Almost had me suckered.
I’d probably do something like on my non existent website but my computer skills are worse than my wine choices.