Little Things You Hate

bear the bear

Is a real bear
major bummer, but OTOH, there should still be stock around at actual sale price this time of year.(??)
It's funny we bought our first TV in Aussie when Wee Man was born (16 years ago). A Sony from memory, 70kgs, and it's still going strong at a work colleague's house. I think we paid about $5K for it.
The current one is an LG and was bought in 2016 for $4k (yay, $1k saving), so 7 years old.
The one we are looking at is a Samsung for less than $3k so another $1k saving.

The screen won't turn on, no idea what the issue is. However, there is company in CBR that does these types of repairs and they took 6 weeks with my coffee machine, so not worth the angst.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The TV in the living room just went pop... Not what we were budgeting to replace :mad:
FWIW, we have a Smart 65" 4K TCL at our shack, it was $500 new from JB's. Picture ok, function ok... its not the crispness of $3000 TV but it does the job.

Alternatively, a lot of people swap TV's for newer models, Scumtree and Fakebook Marketplace is full of great TV's for a fraction of the price.

After kitting out our shack in secondhand furniture and washing machine/fridge, I would absolutey buy something secondhand.

We got a 2yr old 3 + 2 seater sofa on Scumtree. it was from Leather Republic, with reciept for $4500. The bloke was 3 hours from getting on the plane to Sydney, he said if I hadnt have bought it, it would be on the street later, then offered me a stainless steel work bench for free.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
FWIW, we have a Smart 65" 4K TCL at our shack, it was $500 new from JB's. Picture ok, function ok... its not the crispness of $3000 TV but it does the job.

Alternatively, a lot of people swap TV's for newer models, Scumtree and Fakebook Marketplace is full of great TV's for a fraction of the price.

After kitting out our shack in secondhand furniture and washing machine/fridge, I would absolutey buy something secondhand.

We got a 2yr old 3 + 2 seater sofa on Scumtree. it was from Leather Republic, with reciept for $4500. The bloke was 3 hours from getting on the plane to Sydney, he said if I hadnt have bought it, it would be on the street later, then offered me a stainless steel work bench for free.
Scratch and dent stores can be great value (though patchy with, sometimes there's barely any discount off retail). I bought my fridge and washing machine from one (fridge had creases down the side panels where it'd been squashed in transit, washing machine had a slight scratch in one side panel. Think I paid ~$850 for the pair, and about $50 of that was for (local) delivery.

It's worth noting they didn't come with full (multi-year) manufacturer warranty but did still get one year's warranty from the manufacturer. I figured if they didn't blow up in the first week they'd probably be fine, and 7 years later (including one house move) they're still running fine.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Scratch and dent stores can be great value (though patchy with, sometimes there's barely any discount off retail). I bought my fridge and washing machine from one (fridge had creases down the side panels where it'd been squashed in transit, washing machine had a slight scratch in one side panel. Think I paid ~$850 for the pair, and about $50 of that was for (local) delivery.

It's worth noting they didn't come with full (multi-year) manufacturer warranty but did still get one year's warranty from the manufacturer. I figured if they didn't blow up in the first week they'd probably be fine, and 7 years later (including one house move) they're still running fine.
We bought our first fridge from Harvey Normans Scratch and Dent store, apparently a commercial cancelled order :rolleyes:
Fuckin sale pitch for last years fridge.

It was fine for 13yrs, then the fridge stopped cooling beer the way it used to, so it was on the way out, 10yrs in the house and 3yrs as my massive beer fridge... the amount of money worth of really good MTB stickers I stuck on that fckn thing hurt me more than losing the fridge :p

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Just checked. My TV is a massive 38" Panasonic.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
LTIH: Fuckwit bogans and their penchant for poorly trained bogan dog breeds.

Just had the displeasure of having to kick a amstaff in the goolies because it had a mouthful of a friends dog's neck and wasn't going to let go.

Dog came running up the road on dusk no owner in sight so the missus and I picked up our little dogs and so the staffy went for our friends dog. Couldn't get a hold of the fucker until it latched onto the dog's neck.

A swift kick to the twig and berries released his jaws thankfully.

Fucking Bogans.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
shopping for beds.... fk me....

At least with bikes you can compare components directly.. beds seem like all smoke and mirrors and used car salespeople...
Like if Shimano had a different name for same level derailleurs for each bike brand (like.. Balmoodle, Meringue, Ewok or some other stupid names), and also slightly customised each one with like black/silver bolts/springs, or a dimple here or there.....

Worse than the bike industry, everything is permanently half-price... and/or the RRP is always super-inflated so the discount looks better (like JBhifi on steroids)..

frustrating :p

Have you just plagiarised Choice? Because...I have had to buy a new mattress a couple of times over the last few years and each time I checked with them and this is pretty much what they said. It's a world of bullshit and misdirection.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Coming home to find an injured wallaby on my front lawn... Shooed it into the back yard and called wildlife rescue, but its got a badly injured leg that looks a few days at least old and its very skinny. Poor little sausage, I fear this will be a euthanising job :(

I going to assume some prick clipped it with their car.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Coming home to find an injured wallaby on my front lawn... Shooed it into the back yard and called wildlife rescue, but its got a badly injured leg that looks a few days at least old and its very skinny. Poor little sausage, I fear this will be a euthanising job :(

Make sure to hide it under your neighbours house when it dies.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

I've got a dead rat you can put there too, @Haakon.

My neighbour has been poisoning rats again and they come over and die at my place. This one is in a very awkward spot, against an air vent in the brickwork riiiight near the front door. I guess it might keep people away *shrug*.

Haakon

Definitely helped calling the wildlife peeps, I would have really struggled getting it into a sack on my own. It’s gone off to the after hours vet which means euthanasia.

Its injured leg was necrotic and stunk, but it might have lingered on in pain for a few more days on its own which would have been shit.

IMG_4959.jpeg

cammas

Seamstress

Your lovely neighbour with the 4wd?

Haakon

Your lovely neighbour with the 4wd?
That would certainly fit his personality, but this one was spotted by the wildlife carers a few days ago a few streets back up the hill, but it ran off before they could get to it. So it’s bee suffering already for a few days….

cammas

Seamstress
That would certainly fit his personality, but this one was spotted by the wildlife carers a few days ago a few streets back up the hill, but it ran off before they could get to it. So it’s bee suffering already for a few days….
Found one myself a few weeks back on the way for a ride past it on the way there and was still there when I headed back. Same thing someone hit and left it, it’s not hard to call wildlife rescue I did but it’s pelvis was pretty badly broken so had to be euthanised.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

At least with bikes you can compare components directly.. beds seem like all smoke and mirrors and used car salespeople...
Like if Shimano had a different name for same level derailleurs for each bike brand (like.. Balmoodle, Meringue, Ewok or some other stupid names), and also slightly customised each one with like black/silver bolts/springs, or a dimple here or there.....

Worse than the bike industry, everything is permanently half-price... and/or the RRP is always super-inflated so the discount looks better (like JBhifi on steroids)..

We just bought a new one a few weeks ago, only had two nights on it so far (the day it was delivered and last night) but after nearly two weeks of sleeping on saggy sloping numbers I can confirm the new one is ace and my back/shoulders are happy again. Do it.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress

I’m going to sound really old here but the best thing we did was when the Mrs brought an electric bed.
We both have had multiple injuries etc and I thought what a waste of money but far out I haven’t slept so good in years. Can have the head end slightly tilted, my feet up a bit and the Mrs can have whatever she wants as it doesn’t interfere with each other’s settings. Can’t remember what brand and I know it was a big investment but it was worth it, with memory foam mattress and built in under bed lighting.