Little Things You Hate

IronPony

Likes Bikes
Bullshit speeding tickets! Somehow a victorian police officer was able to estimate my speed was exactly 30kms over the speed limit between 2 round abouts that my car struggles to get to the speed limit between. Anyone able to help me I need more information about how to fight this fool.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Bullshit speeding tickets! Somehow a victorian police officer was able to estimate my speed was exactly 30kms over the speed limit between 2 round abouts that my car struggles to get to the speed limit between. Anyone able to help me I need more information about how to fight this fool.
I'm sure there is a way you can contest it.
Heaps of people contest their speeding fines if they are obviously miscalculated, and the government has in the past admitted to faulty mis-calibrated gear being used in some circumstances.

If you got the letter from them with the fine you'll probably see a section that mentions the avenue you need to pursue somewhere printed on it. Good luck with it!

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was under the impression they cant even pull you over for speeding unless they radar you.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was under the impression they cant even pull you over for speeding unless they radar you.
They can, however it can be debatable what speeding bracket you were in. Generally without a radar if you have no priors, they'll let you off with a warning... depends on the state though

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Nah. they can nab you by judging your speed relative to theirs i.e if you pass an unmarked car that's doing the speed limit, or if you're speeding and you have a police bike following you at the same speed, they can book you easily.

Dunno about Iron Pony's case in point but it sounds like he's been busted travelling between two fixed points. If the cop had the start and finishing times between both points then he's got the average speed. Without photographic and/or corroborating evidence though, it would be a fairly easy charge to fight.

IronPony

Likes Bikes
Nah. they can nab you by judging your speed relative to theirs i.e if you pass an unmarked car that's doing the speed limit, or if you're speeding and you have a police bike following you at the same speed, they can book you easily.

Dunno about Iron Pony's case in point but it sounds like he's been busted travelling between two fixed points. If the cop had the start and finishing times between both points then he's got the average speed. Without photographic and/or corroborating evidence though, it would be a fairly easy charge to fight.
Nar it was because the road I came from when I turned at the roundabout there was a dickhead in a falcon speeding like crazy. The cop said that he was following me all the way down that road and clocked my speed on that road at 107. Which must have been the falcon because I was defiantly doing 70 at that time because I saw the dickhead fly up to tailgate me like crazy.

Then the road splits into 2 lanes and I let him fly past. In the right hand lane then I cruised down the road at 70 untill I had to change into the right hand lane to turn right at the next round about.

I told the cop about this and that's why he couldn't write me a ticket to say it was on that rd with the falcon.
So he still gave me a ticket for his estimated speed between the 2 round abouts when he must have been just getting onto the road as I was making my way around the 2nd round about.

So angry that I have been accused of something I didn't do. I hardly ever speed and if I do its only 5kms over not 25kms :(

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Even more dodgy than that... Traffic Offenders course says that an officer can book you just by judging your speed, they don't need to be travelling alongside you. How they would be near you if they weren't travelling alongside/behind you I don't know, but apparently you can be booked for it.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt

So basically you can go to court and argue that they have no way of knowing whether their speedo is properly calibrated or not.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Even more dodgy than that... Traffic Offenders course says that an officer can book you just by judging your speed, they don't need to be travelling alongside you. How they would be near you if they weren't travelling alongside/behind you I don't know, but apparently you can be booked for it.
I think if you are seen travelling well in excess of the flow of traffic particularly on a freeway a copper could reasonably argue that you were speeding. The same goes for travelling between two points. All you need is to be able to see and time the offender passing each point to work out their average speed.

Iron Pony's booking sounds quite debatable though and if worded a little bit more legibly in a statement, he could maybe get away with challenging it.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Shallow friends
End of Semester assessments
My brother's friends
My brother's car
My brother's friend's cars.
Solidworks fucking up
Friend's who use you.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
So basically you can go to court and argue that they have no way of knowing whether their speedo is properly calibrated or not.
The cops can always counter with both your speed relative to the flow of traffic and I'm sure they'd have the facilities to check the calibration of their speedometer if they needed to.

If it ends up in court you'll need a very persuasive lawyer and they aren't cheap! You'd probably be better off just copping the fine

fairy1

Banned
A friend of mine got done because a cop drove down a back road and my mate took the main road then turned, he got fined because he ended up in front of the orificer. Mr Plod said he couldn't get there that fast without speeding and estimated the amount he was speeding by.