Little Things You Hate

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Freight carrier sending me an invoice for an extra charge because they reckon the carton I sent with them was bigger than it was supposed to be. First and foremost, it wasn't; it could only have gotten wider if they'd fucked up the carton and squashed it; and secondly, they wait until a week after the consignment is delivered to get in contact with me, so there's no chance I can get the receiver to recheck the dimensions for me.
Not dhl is it?

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Freight carrier sending me an invoice for an extra charge because they reckon the carton I sent with them was bigger than it was supposed to be. First and foremost, it wasn't; it could only have gotten wider if they'd fucked up the carton and squashed it; and secondly, they wait until a week after the consignment is delivered to get in contact with me, so there's no chance I can get the receiver to recheck the dimensions for me.
Just ask them to provide photographic evidence. also since the derlivered it, your transaction was complete (unless its on account), this amounts to fraud. I would go back and tell them you accepted it and delivered it without any contact saying it was incorrect or there was additional charges. what you are doing is fraud, I will be submitting a police and ACCC report about you trying to steal the money from me. That should shut them up

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just ask them to provide photographic evidence. also since the derlivered it, your transaction was complete (unless its on account), this amounts to fraud. I would go back and tell them you accepted it and delivered it without any contact saying it was incorrect or there was additional charges. what you are doing is fraud, I will be submitting a police and ACCC report about you trying to steal the money from me. That should shut them up
The exact same thing happened to me. I filed a report with the ACCC who advised me that the onus was on the company to provide photographic evidence. But the courier just kept refusing that the onus was on them to provide photographic evidence (which they obviously didn't have), despite what I had been told by the ACCC. When I asked for photographic evidence I was told by them that it was my problem and that I must provide them with photos as their employees were trained professionals who used certified equipment so it wasn't possible for them to be wrong. They just kept on demanding that I pay

In the end I just printed out the consignment label, stuck it on a random box, took a bunch of photos and sent it to them. They shut straight up.
I still can't believe how they blatantly disregard anything from the ACCC and just kept on trying to pressure me into paying their phony fees.

Ohhh and they tried to sting me for more by not forwarding me the extra fee invoice email until after their late fee deadline. Which meant they also wanted me to pay a bunch more on top.

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
If its DHL it's a bullshit charge. I got one from them for supposed customs checks. Again no proof that it happened their end and no customs receipt.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Not DHL guys, the carrier is Allied, but it was booked through SmartSend who are now hitting me up for the costs. Item was a bike shipped from sydney to brisbane, repacked in another bike box. The extra charge isn't massive in dollar terms, but it's an extra 20% on the original invoice, and at the moment its the principle that's shitting me as much as anything else; plus I'm off work, bored, and kind of looking for a fight. :p

The exact same thing happened to me. I filed a report with the ACCC who advised me that the onus was on the company to provide photographic evidence. But the courier just kept refusing that the onus was on them to provide photographic evidence (which they obviously didn't have), despite what I had been told by the ACCC. When I asked for photographic evidence I was told by them that it was my problem and that I must provide them with photos as their employees were trained professionals who used certified equipment so it wasn't possible for them to be wrong. They just kept on demanding that I pay

In the end I just printed out the consignment label, stuck it on a random box, took a bunch of photos and sent it to them. They shut straight up.
I still can't believe how they blatantly disregard anything from the ACCC and just kept on trying to pressure me into paying their phony fees.
That is exactly what I'm getting here!

Last email I received:

All equipment used by our carriers for the capture of weight and dimensions is certified equipment. This means that the equipment has been approved for use for trade by the National Measurement Institute (Australian Government agency). All CWC equipment is covered by avalid Certificate of Approval and is stamped accordingly. In addition to the equipment being certified, it is a legal requirement that it be re-calibrated and re-certified on a regular basis. The calibration and certification activities are conducted by selected suppliers, who are accredited for the work.

As the carrier has check weighed and cubed your freight on receipt at theirdepot and charged you accordingly, Smart Send requires further information as to the product/s being sent. If you believe the recorded details are incorrect, please supply one of the following items for further investigation:

Purchase order (showing weights and dimensions)
Copy of a catalogue page
Website that shows the product/s being sent
A consignment note number of identical freight previously shipped through Smart Send by this same carrier and charged correctly

Or

3 Photographs of the freight against a measuring tool (e.g. tape measure) with one photo clearly showing the Smart Send consignment-label
I'd get photos, but it's a week now since the freight was delivered, so I'm pretty sure the box is long gone. I could always mock up another box, but I wouldn't have one exactly the same, so if they did have photos they'd pick it.

Alternatively I could get in touch with the distributor who sells the bike that I used the carton from, and see if they have any consignment info in their files, although I don't know how likely that is.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was this dhl?
Nope, it was Smart Send.

Not DHL guys, the carrier is Allied, but it was booked through SmartSend who are now hitting me up for the costs. Item was a bike shipped from sydney to brisbane, repacked in another bike box. The extra charge isn't massive in dollar terms, but it's an extra 20% on the original invoice, and at the moment its the principle that's shitting me as much as anything else; plus I'm off work, bored, and kind of looking for a fight. :p

That is exactly what I'm getting here!

Last email I received:

I'd get photos, but it's a week now since the freight was delivered, so I'm pretty sure the box is long gone. I could always mock up another box, but I wouldn't have one exactly the same, so if they did have photos they'd pick it.

Alternatively I could get in touch with the distributor who sells the bike that I used the carton from, and see if they have any consignment info in their files, although I don't know how likely that is.
I was exactly the same. Mine, was a bike and they were trying claim another ~20% in costs. It was about the principle for me as well. My measurements were accurate. I know how to use a tape measure and there was no reason for me to make up the dimensions.

I'd just print out the consignment label again, stick it on a similar looking box and take their photos. The chance they have photos is slim to none, otherwise they would have provided them as proof. Plus, if you take really conservative photos you can hide pretty much all of the box by just focusing on the consignment number and tape measure. That's what I did and as soon as a sent them to Smart Send they instantly replied saying something along the line of 'Sorry. Charges are waived' and that was the end of it.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Nope, it was Smart Send.

I was exactly the same. Mine, was a bike and they were trying claim another ~20% in costs. It was about the principle for me as well. My measurements were accurate. I know how to use a tape measure and there was no reason for me to make up the dimensions.

I'd just print out the consignment label again, stick it on a similar looking box and take their photos. The chance they have photos is slim to none, otherwise they would have provided them as proof. Plus, if you take really conservative photos you can hide pretty much all of the box by just focusing on the consignment number and tape measure. That's what I did and as soon as a sent them to Smart Send they instantly replied saying something along the line of 'Sorry. Charges are waived' and that was the end of it.
Sounds way too similar for my liking. A new box seems to be the easiest plan, although if this is something they try to pull on a regular basis I'm tempted to contact the ACCC first.

How did you go about contacting them? Just a general enquiry form, or a consumer complaint? Did it take long to get the advice from them?
I know that if there's enough repeated complaints about a business/practice the ACCC are more likely to have a closer look, if it's not too much of a headache I might get in touch just so the issue is on their records again.

0psi

Eats Squid
Smart send couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Their customer service is appalling so be prepared to have your IQ lowered 30% courtesy of the shit you are going to hear from them and the subsequent meeting of head and wall.

I'd personally be contacting consumer watchdog, ACCC, who ever. I think that unless they can provide proof of the packages dimensions they don't have a leg to stand on.

If their equipment is so accurate that they can't make a mistake then what difference would a photo from you prove? I think they are just trying to pull a fast one.:tsk:

Edit: Being the spineless weasels they are the only way to contact them is via e-mail or their contact form on the website.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds way too similar for my liking. A new box seems to be the easiest plan, although if this is something they try to pull on a regular basis I'm tempted to contact the ACCC first.

How did you go about contacting them? Just a general enquiry form, or a consumer complaint? Did it take long to get the advice from them?
I know that if there's enough repeated complaints about a business/practice the ACCC are more likely to have a closer look, if it's not too much of a headache I might get in touch just so the issue is on their records again.
Yeah, it seems like they're trying to pull the exact same fast one on you.
I just called the ACCC. I gave them Smart Send's details and explained the situation. They were super helpful and gave me a bunch of quotes from the Consumer Law Act to use against them. Even though they were really helpful it didn't help as it seems Smart Send believe their certified equipment puts them well above the law.

I'd give them a call just so it's on record. It was super easy to get in contact with them.

Smart send couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Their customer service is appalling so be prepared to have your IQ lowered 30% courtesy of the shit you are going to hear from them and the subsequent meeting of head and wall.

I'd personally be contacting consumer watchdog, ACCC, who ever. I think that unless they can provide proof of the packages dimensions they don't have a leg to stand on.
Tell me about it. Couldn't believe how appalling the customer service was!

I did contact the ACCC about the situation and was told the onus was on them to provide evidence of their claim. Despite telling this to Smart Send repeatedly, they just kept replying that I needed to give the photos or I would have to pay. It was like talking to a brick wall. No matter what the law actually said they just wouldn't listen.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Had the same thing from smart send a couple of months ago. Just paid it as I assumed I must have measured the wrong box or some other silly error. Sounds like they're just trying to make an extra dollar over whatever margin they add to the carrier's charge.

Will take photos next time I send something.

- Joel

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wombat: Tell them you won't be paying unless they provide proof, and their word does not count. If they contune to persue you that is harrasment and you will sue them for the grief they are causing you. Another option is always to say well take me to court, a bold move but should shut them up.

When you contact the ACCC, mention that is a repeated occurrence and you know this due to you being a forum moderator on a bike website and you beielve there is systemic corruption happening by this company.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah thanks guys. I'm gonna get in touch with the ACCC tomorrow, and get back to smartsend too. There's no way I'm paying the extra, if need be I'll get photos of a box, but I think I'll just refuse initially, until they provide some sort of evidence.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Spoke to the ACCC, mainly just so they have the complaint against smart send on record. If I decide I need mediation or anything I'll go to the DFT, first of all I'm trying to find some evidence if the dimensions though. Smart send are still maintaining that they don't have to prove anything, I just need to pay them.

Best example Google had popped up so far was them making the same claim to a bloke who had 4 car wheels in identical boxes shipped to him. Weeks later smart send get in touch and claim that he owes them because one of those (identical) boxes was twice as long as all the others. Wtf?

Engelados

Likes Bikes
Car mechanics...no1 scammers

Went and payed a fortune in one of the most expensive workshops in Sydney just because i wanted some particular things fixed properly.
I got charged my ass off just to get my car broken down ,1 month after, due to dodgy fixups (that i could even spot (and do) myself)
Had to get pissed of enough to force them to follow the warranty they 're supposed to give for their work.

Fixed it properly.....went to drive it....another brand new problem was there from the moment i turned the key!

!@%!*^$#*!%#$!(&#%!&^$@*!%$#@%$:crazy:

Last edited: