Little Things You Hate

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I use Strava purely for the interface it provides for mapping your ride. I know the data isn't entirely accurate but it's a pretty handy resource for finding new rides etc plus it gives me a good idea of who is riding trails that I have permits on. I couldn't care less for people's times in segments etc but I do laugh at some of the things that are actually created as segments. I came across one today that was part of a ride I did around a gravel trail in town. I ducked off that course and checked out the harbour on sunset and took another short cut up an alley, behind a small post office on a goat track, up a pathway next to the road then crossed the road and onto another pathway on the other side of four traffic lanes. To my surprise, that is a segment that people ride pretty frequently but I fail to see the point in that segment as it involves crossing two foot paths and a road that is dependent on traffic flow. Whats the point? I also don't get why people create a segment on a short part of an existing course, for example: An XC loop has a small descent for say.....forty metres. Why make that a segment? Are you that hopeless the rest of the ride that you think you ride is only relevant if you do that one short bit? Hopeless, bloody hopeless.
There's a lot of hate for Strava but I do see some good in it. It's a good resource for trail builders to know who is riding their closed trails too.

Plow King

Little bit.
EPA notices. Fuck me dead I wish some of my miserable fucking neighbours would get a life. I sleep from 5pm to 2am and I never get butthurt and report them for parties ir doing the lawn at 6pm... I wonder if the bloke with the mustamg which is 2x as loud as my car got one too

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use Strava purely for the interface it provides for mapping your ride. I know the data isn't entirely accurate but it's a pretty handy resource for finding new rides etc plus it gives me a good idea of who is riding trails that I have permits on. I couldn't care less for people's times in segments etc but I do laugh at some of the things that are actually created as segments. I came across one today that was part of a ride I did around a gravel trail in town. I ducked off that course and checked out the harbour on sunset and took another short cut up an alley, behind a small post office on a goat track, up a pathway next to the road then crossed the road and onto another pathway on the other side of four traffic lanes. To my surprise, that is a segment that people ride pretty frequently but I fail to see the point in that segment as it involves crossing two foot paths and a road that is dependent on traffic flow. Whats the point? I also don't get why people create a segment on a short part of an existing course, for example: An XC loop has a small descent for say.....forty metres. Why make that a segment? Are you that hopeless the rest of the ride that you think you ride is only relevant if you do that one short bit? Hopeless, bloody hopeless.
There's a lot of hate for Strava but I do see some good in it. It's a good resource for trail builders to know who is riding their closed trails too.
Yup, the number of duplicate segments in local areas is staggeringly stupid.

camoshop

Banned
Yup, the number of duplicate segments in local areas is staggeringly stupid.
Often when I want a break from the bush and do a casual ride to the entrance on the cycle way there's segments there that are crazy and the koms are or must be done when there's no one on there which is hardly ever. Some of the speeds are pretty dangerous on a shared path where's there's kids out having fun. It's not a race track.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Often when I want a break from the bush and do a casual ride to the entrance on the cycle way there's segments there that are crazy and the koms are or must be done when there's no one on there which is hardly ever. Some of the speeds are pretty dangerous on a shared path where's there's kids out having fun. It's not a race track.
MAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTE, you just need to call out that it is a Strava run and everyone knows to get out of your way.

scblack

Leucocholic
I couldn't care less for people's times in segments etc but I do laugh at some of the things that are actually created as segments. I came across one today that was part of a ride I did around a gravel trail in town. I ducked off that course and checked out the harbour on sunset and took another short cut up an alley, behind a small post office on a goat track, up a pathway next to the road then crossed the road and onto another pathway on the other side of four traffic lanes. To my surprise, that is a segment that people ride pretty frequently but I fail to see the point in that segment as it involves crossing two foot paths and a road that is dependent on traffic flow. Whats the point? I also don't get why people create a segment on a short part of an existing course, for example: An XC loop has a small descent for say.....forty metres. Why make that a segment? Are you that hopeless the rest of the ride that you think you ride is only relevant if you do that one short bit? Hopeless, bloody hopeless.
It may be just bordering on another road, and picking up that segment.

I know I had a few KOM's along the M4 for a while. Made me feel superhuman. Turned out the segment was not on the M4, but the dirt trail down below the road.

I find Strava's accuracy is pretty good generally, but occasionally funny things pop up.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
you can report those segments for being dangerous. ;) and the whole segment gets deleted.

i reported one, it was a short segment that used a shared path.. and the top 10 were all pushing 60+km/h...

camoshop

Banned
you can report those segments for being dangerous. ;) and the whole segment gets deleted.

i reported one, it was a short segment that used a shared path.. and the top 10 were all pushing 60+km/h...
Haha might just do that, pretty sure a new one will pop up :p

Beej1

I've heard others joke about it, but has anyone seriously heard someone shout that out when approaching another rider? It would humour me to know that someone of that level of fuckwittery actually exists.

"Race leader!" is bad enough in anything but perhaps national level or above - I used to hear it often at the Scott 24hr and ignore it to see what happened.

But "Racing other anonymous virtual competitors!" takes it to a new level of cause for sterilisation.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah, they don't get deleted, just stop showing a leaderboard. But then a couple of days ago I saw a segment that had been flagged dangerous and there was an option to agree to a disclaimer and the leaderboard came back.

camoshop

Banned
I've heard others joke about it, but has anyone seriously heard someone shout that out when approaching another rider? It would humour me to know that someone of that level of fuckwittery actually exists.

"Race leader!" is bad enough in anything but perhaps national level or above - I used to hear it often at the Scott 24hr and ignore it to see what happened.

But "Racing other anonymous virtual competitors!" takes it to a new level of cause for sterilisation.
Haha yes before I had strava at Ourimbah a guys said strava I was like wtf he came up to me after at the carpark and said sorry couldn't stop for a chat was going for a pr on strava :p

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I had my sign up at the start of the trail saying there was trail work in progress so exercise some caution. I try to not close the trail entirely, I just ask that people watch out for me. I keep my tools off the trail and have a witches hat before the corner I'm working it so it's pretty obvious. I had a guy come belting around a corner on what I assumed was his first run of the day as I had been there since dawn and he blew past me huffing and puffing yelling obscenities. Hmmm, bad move. He came back down the next run and I was a bit further down the trail but I'd blocked the trail entirely hoping to get a word with him. He fucking spat it, he said he was on a Strava run and needed a clear track. I just laughed, adjusted my hat and told him to get off my trail. He puffed his chest out and got all macho but quickly buckled when I said that he can prove his worth on the next race day I put together and he can compete against something other than an internet race. I also said he'd need to push hard as I do the timing and I'd make sure he gets a time penalty for being a c@#t. Yeah, I've not seen him since but did shame him when his Strava time was over a minute off the quickest on our trail. Karma got that whiney little bitch, his knee folded a week later and he hasn't ridden since. Winner winner. ;)

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I had my sign up at the start of the trail saying there was trail work in progress so exercise some caution. I try to not close the trail entirely, I just ask that people watch out for me. I keep my tools off the trail and have a witches hat before the corner I'm working it so it's pretty obvious. I had a guy come belting around a corner on what I assumed was his first run of the day as I had been there since dawn and he blew past me huffing and puffing yelling obscenities. Hmmm, bad move. He came back down the next run and I was a bit further down the trail but I'd blocked the trail entirely hoping to get a word with him. He fucking spat it, he said he was on a Strava run and needed a clear track. I just laughed, adjusted my hat and told him to get off my trail. He puffed his chest out and got all macho but quickly buckled when I said that he can prove his worth on the next race day I put together and he can compete against something other than an internet race. I also said he'd need to push hard as I do the timing and I'd make sure he gets a time penalty for being a c@#t. Yeah, I've not seen him since but did shame him when his Strava time was over a minute off the quickest on our trail. Karma got that whiney little bitch, his knee folded a week later and he hasn't ridden since. Winner winner. ;)
Flawless Victory!! The 10th circle of Hell must be tailor made for Strava-holes. :thumb:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/tenth-circle-added-to-rapidly-growing-hell,507/

camoshop

Banned
Haha something I really hate is having a lbs right next to work, there online store days they have an is adaportor for a 180mm rotor which I need for my cotic build but went in there and he didn't know what an Is adaptor was :frusty: I could order it online but I want it for Saturday, if anyone has one that is in Sydney or the coast or newi that Woolf be a post fort another thread :)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Haha something I really hate is having a lbs right next to work, there online store days they have an is adaportor for a 180mm rotor which I need for my cotic build but went in there and he didn't know what an Is adaptor was :frusty: I could order it online but I want it for Saturday, if anyone has one that is in Sydney or the coast or newi that Woolf be a post fort another thread :)
Common problem with roadie focused bike shops. I tried 4 bike shops in my area looking for brake adapters, they all looked at me like a fuckwit......'what're you adapting your brakes to?'

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Common problem with roadie focused bike shops. I tried 4 bike shops in my area looking for brake adapters, they all looked at me like a fuckwit......'what're you adapting your brakes to?'
I had to try 4 local shops to get a deore external BB and then it took 7 days to arrive. And that's 2 kms out of Melbourne CBD. Can't fathom why most of us buy online?