Little Things You Hate

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not doubt the guy is an A grade arsewipe but he would be on a regular bike too, the e-bike ( which looks to be pedal assist and therefore is a mountain bike) is not to blame.
Pretty much my thought. a shit-stain is a shit-stain, regardless of the bike. The behaviour would be equally rotten and inexcuseable if he was on any unpowered bike.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Rental car still has winter tyres on it, so it’s limited to 210kph. Dammit.

Mind you, have yet to encounter any Autobahn with traffic light enough and enough gaps between roadworks and limited sections to go past 200 anyway....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Rental car still has winter tyres on it, so it’s limited to 210kph. Dammit.

Mind you, have yet to encounter any Autobahn with traffic light enough and enough gaps between roadworks and limited sections to go past 200 anyway....
That is not a hard limit, more a soft rubbery one...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Why does the mountain bike industry continue to employ people with limited industry knowledge or even mechanical knowledge or mechanical training of any sort ? No wonder a lot of these companies are going to shit and just goes to show where their interests are. Give someone a go from the industry, not some clowns from outer space that say they're an avid mountain biker on the weekend or your next door neighbour or your uncle's wife's cousin's brother in law.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Because anyone can just have a crack, no formal training or qualifications, low pay etc. good mechanics are hard to come by.

I had a shop salesman argue with me about giant being an australian company ffs! Guess who walked out laughing his arse off as ol’ mate got chewed out by the boss.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Because anyone can just have a crack, no formal training or qualifications, low pay etc. good mechanics are hard to come by.

I had a shop salesman argue with me about giant being an australian company ffs! Guess who walked out laughing his arse off as ol’ mate got chewed out by the boss.
What do you mean Giant isn't made it Australia? They're made in the same factory as Holden. Everyone knows that...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeah, nah. Gotta learn somewhere. I am all for people having a sea change and giving another role a go. If there is an issue then I blame the trainer. It really pisses me off when people throw shit at apprentices, typically in dealerships. They are trainees, still learning. Even a 4th year is a trainee. You want to vent then have a go at the supervision and management or the teachers at TAFE. Attitude and competence is what the mentor allows as a standard.

And I aint even a tradie!

Flow-Rider

Burner

I've got nothing against people starting from the bottom and learning the ropes and understanding all the basic principals of how things work but when you place people from a totally different industry into sales of a prominent company in the industry that haven't even any experience with the general public let alone sales, I can't see a good outcome. There's nothing worse than putting these people on similar wages than someone's that's been in the company or industry for years and has to pick up their slack.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yeah, nah. Gotta learn somewhere. I am all for people having a sea change and giving another role a go. If there is an issue then I blame the trainer. It really pisses me off when people throw shit at apprentices, typically in dealerships. They are trainees, still learning. Even a 4th year is a trainee. You want to vent then have a go at the supervision and management or the teachers at TAFE. Attitude and competence is what the mentor allows as a standard.

100% with you on that one. With every apprentice I've worked with, and even the newbies who worked for me in retail, if they didn't know how to complete a task I took it as my failing for not showing them, not their fault for not knowing.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Mate, dealerships should have been shot in the head and that's being nice. They train apprentices to be efficient at doing a few jobs and that's all they know, when their time is up the dealership keeps something like 1/15 apprentices out of 200. I worked for a RTO and been to 50% of the dealerships in QLD. It's no industry secret that they use them as cheap labour.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There'snothing worse than puttingthese people on similar wagesthan someone's that's been in the company or industry foryears and has to pick up theirslack.
You mean the award? And often the bottom end of it? That's the usual approach in small and large customer service...pay the minimum.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Why does the mountain bike industry continue to employ people with limited industry knowledge or even mechanical knowledge or mechanical training of any sort ? No wonder a lot of these companies are going to shit and just goes to show where their interests are. Give someone a go from the industry, not some clowns from outer space that say they're an avid mountain biker on the weekend or your next door neighbour or your uncle's wife's cousin's brother in law.
I tuned up the bike of a bloke who's a higher up in one of the bigger companies in Aus. Considering his position, his bike was disgustingly set up. The owner clearly had no mechanical idea, or even gave a shit for that matter, because it sounded like the bike was going to snap when riding it (before any servicing). The bike wasn't even worn out, it just hadn't been built properly and he hadn't bothered to correct it, and had just been riding it regardless.
It was a $9K bike, so literally the definition of 'All the gear, no idea'.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, I think experience and knowledge needs to be rewarded but I don't see it very often theses days. They're the sort of people that seem to be used and abused in the work place.
We brought it on ourselves...skill shortages, knowledge shortage, training shortage...a lot of it has a root in wages shortage. When I was finishing school in the mid-late 90s there was a strong emphasis away from trades etc and many of my friend's parents who were or had been trades people were all recommending avoiding it. Mechanic apprenticeships are always a good example. Work your arse off, get filthy inside and out, and then get paid a ridiculously low wage as a reward. What teenager would be excited about that? Well some do, but they tend to have huge car boners.

Flow-Rider

Burner
We brought it on ourselves...skill shortages, knowledge shortage, training shortage...a lot of it has a root in wages shortage. When I was finishing school in the mid-late 90s there was a strong emphasis away from trades etc and many of my friend's parents who were or had been trades people were all recommending avoiding it. Mechanic apprenticeships are always a good example. Work your arse off, get filthy inside and out, and then get paid a ridiculously low wage as a reward. What teenager would be excited about that? Well some do, but they tend to have huge car boners.
I knew I should have worked in the public service, been a kent and get promoted because someone doesn't want me around.:)

It's all the opportunity some people have or get, not everyone that works as a mechanic had a choice. I can't really complain because it led me to better things and even though I worked very hard, I still made a fairly good wage back in my prime. I was actually apprenticed as 240v electrician before I done my time as a light vehicle mechanic but there wasn't enough work around for a stable income at the time. I later on started a job at a prestige shop working on BMW, Jaguar and Merc that only lasted 2 years because I had a real bad motorbike crash.

After a few years had passed I secured a job with a performance shop where I got to work on a privateer race car at the same races as people like Peter Brock and Dick Johnson attended. Worked for that bloke for about 8 years then moved on to other jobs and then finally in the mines where I earned ridiculous amounts of money. Even in the mines I started out as a tradesman's assistant then progressed to other jobs as I got more licences and experiences but that company was a very tough cookie to crack.

Last edited:

haulrs

Likes Bikes
I tuned up the bike of a bloke who's a higher up in one of the bigger companies in Aus. Considering his position, his bike was disgustingly set up. The owner clearly had no mechanical idea, or even gave a shit for that matter, because it sounded like the bike was going to snap when riding it (before any servicing). The bike wasn't even worn out, it just hadn't been built properly and he hadn't bothered to correct it, and had just been riding it regardless.
It was a $9K bike, so literally the definition of 'All the gear, no idea'.
Sounds like a giant issue......