Little Things You Hate

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep problem is that 4WD driving lights are usually too high + dickheads have lights that will fry your retinas as high beam.
I think its a smartarse power" look at me "thing.
On a bike I try to look down + shift my headlight up if I have time.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yep problem is that 4WD driving lights are usually too high + dickheads have lights that will fry your retinas as high beam.
I think its a smartarse power" look at me "thing.
On a bike I try to look down + shift my headlight up if I have time.
Ay-ups mounted on my helmet fixed that every time. And if it didn't they copped them square in the eyes as they went past :D

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Chunts. PM me their address, and I'll nip around and play nude twister on their front lawn. As an added bonus, I'll leave a few yellow patches as a reminder of their largesse.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I think we all post then dog poo. O walk our dogs past their house.

People are strange @elbow. Try not to let it get you down.

LPG

likes thicc birds
It’s probably their low beams. But because every other fucktard these days drives a UAV with the head lights at the height of your rear view mirror low beams are the new high beams.
I get the shits with that too but it's every type of vehicle. I'll have my bike and their lights in my car tonight. Might have to return the favour.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Sometimes it is a case of one set of lights overpowering the on coming set when you are going up a hill etc. I live in a rural area and my (wife's) 4wd has HID spread spotlights. Sometimes you just cannot see approaching lights coming up a hill from the otherside in the light from the spots BUT there is no excuse for not dipping the moment you see the oncoming vehicle AND/OR not dipping when behind another car. From memory you have to dip when you are within 200m of the car in front. The HIDs spots are painful even 350m away so they are dropped early. If I lived where wallabies and kangaroos didnt the spots would be left off until travelling where they do.

Roof mounted LED bars are the worst in my opinion and in our other cars these are bad. Pretty sure I have previously mentioned stalking a moron who smashed me with his lightbar when I was in the BM. We had words and I am fairly sure he wont do it again.

I was of the impression roof mounted lights, lifted vehicles with unadjusted light projection angle, use of spotties in built up areas are all illegal but I guess people rarely get pinged for it so the blinder doesn't care, only the blindee

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Where I ride it is very dark so you can see fucktard 4WD high beams coming miles away even the other side of a hill.
Of course they cant see me with my measly bike light.

D01

Likes Dirt
I came in here to complain about people constantly driving with their high beams on blinding you or shining it in your rear mirror. 10 years ago it was rare for people to not dim their beams. Now it seems its rare to not have my rear view flicked away to not get the beams in my mirror on the way home from work or wharever if its dark.
It's the same around my way now too.
Pricks.
Them and the douche bags who drive with their fog lights on all the time. Why aren't the cops on to this? It's illegal, would be an easy source of revenue, and help prevent the breakdown of society, broken windows theory.

It reminds me of an article in The Economist from a few years ago.

A blinding lack of trust.

Driving at night is difficult everywhere in the world. As the sun comes down, the light gets in your eyes; as darkness spreads, your peripheral vision shrinks. In Nairobi, Kenya’s capital, however, being on the roads as night feels more than just testing; it feels positively dangerous. According to data from the World Health Organisation, of the ten countries with the most traffic deaths relative to population, eight are in Africa and Kenya is among them. Given that most Africans still live in the countryside, where hardly anyone owns a car, that is particularly terrifying.
Some problems are simply those of a developing country: the roads are potholed and there isn’t much street lighting, so pedestrians run across the highway in the dark. But the main reason is that as you crawl along, half of the time you cannot see the road ahead of you, because of the blinding dazzle of oncoming cars, all driving with their headlights, foglights and any other lights they might have proudly on full beam. How does any reasonable driver react to this situation? Well if the reasonable driver is anything like me, he puts his headlights on full too.
I have become obsessed with the way everyone drives with their headlights on full, even though it makes life harder for everybody else. When a friend revealed he had bought a car with extraordinarily powerful Chinese LED lights to one-up even the brightest contenders, I began to call it the “theory of the full-beam headlights”. And I think it helps to explain a lot of dysfunction in African cities in general.
The inspiration for this idea comes from the lead character of Joseph Heller’s novel, “Catch 22”, Yossarian. An American bombardier in Italy in the second world war, he tells his superior he is not flying any more missions. “From now on I’m thinking only of me.” “But, Yossarian,” his superior responds, “suppose everyone felt that way?” “Then,” says Yossarian, “I’d certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn’t I?”
What Yossarian describes – the situation where you’re a fool to act unselfishly – is what economists call the “globally inferior Nash equilibrium”. Given that everyone else is behaving badly, you’re an idiot not to. Yet if everybody could resist the urge to behave selfishly, everybody would be better off. Hence the full-beam headlights. If most Kenyan drivers dipped their lights, everybody would be able to see. But nobody does it because nobody else does.
This applies to more than just driving. Nobody likes paying taxes, but it feels lot more of an imposition when you know that people far richer than you aren’t bothering. So too if you’re a politician and everybody else is stealing from the national treasury: you’re an idiot if you don’t get your share. In the Democratic Republic of Congo, they even have a name for this behaviour, which could come from “Catch 22”: Article 15, a mythical part of the constitution which reads simply, “fend for yourself”.
Why do people in some countries behave this way when in others they don’t? It is about trust. In Britain, you trust that most people will follow the informal social laws that make society work – such as forming an orderly queue at the post office. And when everyone else is following the rules, you feel ashamed not to – not least because of social pressure. Think of the burrowing stares and tutting when you answer a phone call in the quiet carriage.
In many African countries, it is the opposite. Pollsters show that people in Kenya have some of the lowest levels of trust in the world. According to one poll by Pew, just 25% of people agreed with the statement “most people in society are trustworthy”; in Sweden, the figure was 78%. And so the rules that make society work break down. Politicians who steal are not chastised but reelected, providing that they redistribute some of the spoils to their immediate voters. Shame comes from failing to get the most out of the system, instead of from being a functional part of it. And everyone is worse off – not least drivers, blinded by cars coming in the opposite direction.

Daniel Knowlesis South Asia business correspondent for The Economist

https://www.1843magazine.com/dispatches/dispatches/a-blinding-lack-of-trust

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I was of the impression roof mounted lights, lifted vehicles with unadjusted light projection angle, use of spotties in built up areas are all illegal but I guess people rarely get pinged for it so the blinder doesn't care, only the blindee
Laws were relaxed in Q a while back. And there seems to be no policing of illegal bulbs, fog abuse or maladjustment.

safreek

That's pretty average...get safreek to go round so his hound can lay a few giant dog eggs on their lawn , might need to feed Burt a beef rendang before hand though just to get things moving.
All free, just pay for postage. Will save me from having to throw it over the neighbors fence. He hates cleaning his pool:eek:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
It’s probably their low beams. But because every other fucktard these days drives a UAV with the head lights at the height of your rear view mirror low beams are the new high beams.
I think it's more to do with the new(ish) crop of LED lights. In both of our cars we have LED low beam and halogen high beam setups, and frankly you may as well not bother with high beam given the brightness of the LEDs. I get flashed regularly in our 2012 build model Nissan Leaf, which is about as far away from UAV headlight height as you can get.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I think it's more to do with the new(ish) crop of LED lights. In both of our cars we have LED low beam and halogen high beam setups, and frankly you may as well not bother with high beam given the brightness of the LEDs. I get flashed regularly in our 2012 build model Nissan Leaf, which is about as far away from UAV headlight height as you can get.
Check the adjustment too... I’ve seen lots come out of the factory set high.

2012 Leaf really got LEDs? Not aftermarket retrofits?

That’s the other big problem, people putting illegal LED/HID gloves in reflectors designed for halogens...

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Got the opposite problem round here! Dumb idiots that cant even recognize that they're driving with no lights on.
I notified* 2 cars last night that had no lights on. First one pulled out of a side street just behind me, it was only for the fact that she indicated I even knew she was there. Second on was 3 minutes later and I came up behind it thinking why can’t I see any tail lights. It was about 800m more until the highway with no street lights.

*notified means a combined use of hazards, mad waving and flashing my own high beams to attract attention. Even then when alongside the vehicle in question while stationary at lights it took a bit more action to get a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic
Are you actually talking about Xenon lights, or LED?
Low beam lighting on higher end models, such as my Amarok Highline are usually Xenon, not LED.
LED will often replace "driving" lights, not the low beam.

One item people often do not know, is headlights are designed differently for Left or Right hand drive vehicles. The aim-points for the vision is different on each vehicle. So if you buy overseas lighting, make sure it is set for correct hand drive.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Are you actually talking about Xenon lights, or LED?
Low beam lighting on higher end models, such as my Amarok Highline are usually Xenon, not LED.
LED will often replace "driving" lights, not the low beam.

One item people often do not know, is headlights are designed differently for Left or Right hand drive vehicles. The aim-points for the vision is different on each vehicle. So if you buy overseas lighting, make sure it is set for correct hand drive.
In both cases they are definitely LEDs, not Xenons, and both vehicles were built for the Australian market, so you'd hope the factory knew what they were doing!