Little Things You Hate

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
f traffic is turning left, the onus is on the bike in the bike lane to give way.
Incorrect, MOST of the time. Traffic turning left across a bike lane must give way to traffic in said lane, same as changing between normal lanes - give way to what's already there. However, in the case that the bike traffic is moving faster than the vehicle traffic, a bike must not overtake a vehicle that (important bit no. 1) is indicating, and - the real kicker - in the act of turning. Given the very casual attitude a lot of drivers have to using indicators, life can be very dicey for riders at times.

Vehicles turning left may drive in the bike lane for up to 50 metres before the turn, but must give way to bikes in the lane before moving into it.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Incorrect, MOST of the time. Traffic turning left across a bike lane must give way to traffic in said lane, same as changing between normal lanes - give way to what's already there. However, in the case that the bike traffic is moving faster than the vehicle traffic, a bike must not overtake a vehicle that (important bit no. 1) is indicating, and - the real kicker - in the act of turning. Given the very casual attitude a lot of drivers have to using indicators, life can be very dicey for riders at times.

Vehicles turning left may drive in the bike lane for up to 50 metres before the turn, but must give way to bikes in the lane before moving into it.
All good. I don't see where I'm incorrect though. "in the act of turning" is essentially what I wrote. The road markings show a break with a stop line on the bike path. To be honest, I'm not up to scratch on what the nitty gritty is when there's a traffic light and no actual bike lane across the intersection.

It's neither here nor there, because we don't know the circumstances. Media reports 'Truck hit bike', but it's more likely that bike hit truck. It's a hella left turn for a truck, and wouldn't be done at speed.. Which kinda makes it look worse for the driver, IMO.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
All good. I don't see where I'm incorrect though. "in the act of turning" is essentially what I wrote.
It is messy, because the rule changes depending on circumstance. Easiest way to to look at it in either case is the overtaking vehicle gives way. which means a car or truck or whatever can't come steaming past a bike, even if it's already got its indicator on, and chuck a leftie and expect the bike to miraculously stop in an instant. Flip it the other way though, where the bike is the overtaking one, if the traffic is stationary and a vehicle is indicating but clearly not able to make its intended turn, it's quite legal for the bike to - carefully - roll on past; if the traffic is rolling and the vehicle is within cooee of the corner, then the bike holds back. Again though, it comes back to the driver actually indicating, which too many don't.

Fault in this case could go either way, and we don't have enough information to go pointing fingers at anyone.

FigBo0T

It is messy, because the rule changes depending on circumstance. Easiest way to to look at it in either case is the overtaking vehicle gives way. which means a car or truck or whatever can't come steaming past a bike, even if it's already got its indicator on, and chuck a leftie and expect the bike to miraculously stop in an instant. Flip it the other way though, where the bike is the overtaking one, if the traffic is stationary and a vehicle is indicating but clearly not able to make its intended turn, it's quite legal for the bike to - carefully - roll on past; if the traffic is rolling and the vehicle is within cooee of the corner, then the bike holds back. Again though, it comes back to the driver actually indicating, which too many don't.

Fault in this case could go either way, and we don't have enough information to go pointing fingers at anyone.
Cheers for explaining it. Pretty sketchy rules. End of the day, it sucks that a cyclist died.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
If you're in traffic with trucks, don't put the onus on the truck driver to be mindful of your sense of entitlement.
Correct I just expect cars and trucks to do that to me if I am on the inside. They cant see but should know better.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
If you're in traffic with trucks, don't put the onus on the truck driver to be mindful of your sense of entitlement.
Correct I just expect cars and trucks to do that to me if I am on the inside. They cant see but should know better.
Fuck off sense of entitlement. I guarantee that the truck will have just turned on top of the poor bugger and there would have been nothing he could do about it. If you're in a bike lane you should feel safe and expect people to follow the rules. Put the onus on the cops for being so slack with the policing of bike lanes that the dickheads in trucks just, well act like dicks. I have never seen anybody busted for doing something illegal in a bike lane yet evry single time I commuted I would see cars and trucks acting illegally in the bike lanes..
I got the door prize in one a couple of years ago and even though I was quite bloodied from the event the cops chose not to charge the fucker because they didn't see it happen. The arsehole even crapped on about me having no rights because I don't pay rego and told the cop it was my fault because I should have been on the footpath which is actually illegal in Vic. Until the cops start cancelling a few licenses and issuing a few fines bike lane will not be treated with respect.

FigBo0T

It's the same philosophy as motorbikes.
Fuck off sense of entitlement. I guarantee that the truck will have just turned on top of the poor bugger and there would have been nothing he could do about it. If you're in a bike lane you should feel safe and expect people to follow the rules. Put the onus on the cops for being so slack with the policing of bike lanes that the dickheads in trucks just, well act like dicks. I have never seen anybody busted for doing something illegal in a bike lane yet evry single time I commuted I would see cars and trucks acting illegally in the bike lanes..
I got the door prize in one a couple of years ago and even though I was quite bloodied from the event the cops chose not to charge the fucker because they didn't see it happen. The arsehole even crapped on about me having no rights because I don't pay rego and told the cop it was my fault because I should have been on the footpath which is actually illegal in Vic. Until the cops start cancelling a few licenses and issuing a few fines bike lane will not be treated with respect.
That was my comment. Reading for context is a thing. Fucking off now .... :rolleyes:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Most people I've come across are taking the virus situation very seriously. Some aren't and some are over the top.

Then you have the Australian footy codes who just play on. Slow........fucking........clap. You're demonstrating to the world why I despise footy so much but I'm thankful it exists as it keeps a shit tonne of fuckwits out of the things I enjoy.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Then you have the Australian footy codes who just play on. Slow........fucking........clap. You're demonstrating to the world why I despise footy so much but I'm thankful it exists as it keeps a shit tonne of fuckwits out of the things I enjoy.
well said.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Most people I've come across are taking the virus situation very seriously. Some aren't and some are over the top.

We've sent a guy home from work as his son (lives at home still) played a rugby match in Sydney last weekend. 3 days later they were advised of a confirmed COVID case in the opposing team. Initially the advice was 'don't worry, not close contact' but a couple of days later they've decided 'close contact, all players should self isolate'. Losers. We sent our guy home from work within 2 hours of first hearing the news on Wednesday.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I hope we give them a big pile of a dollars to keep the people entertained. It is really essential part of Australia's purpose in life.

We've sent a guy home from work as his son (lives at home still) played a rugby match in Sydney last weekend. 3 days later they were advised of a confirmed COVID case in the opposing team. Initially the advice was 'don't worry, not close contact' but a couple of days later they've decided 'close contact, all players should self isolate'. Losers. We sent our guy home from work within 2 hours of first hearing the news on Wednesday.
No close contact? The a sport where the primary action appears to be all players on the field piling up on top of each other every couple of minutes? I'm not sure the person issuing that advice is qualified to tie their own shoelaces.

Workplace is classed an essential service here. If I die I die, atleast the mortgage will be paid :rolleyes:
Just remember to maintain 1.5m while working safely in a confined space

I have heard mention of this "foot-the-ball" but lost interest when I realised there were no wheels involved.
You don't like meat heads ramming into each other because of a ball?