Little Things You Love

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I had a far more berating longer reply, but I'll concede, having reread my post, my phrasing is poor; so, disappointingly, I have to be polite shorter in response.
The box would "weigh" 2.04kg, which is also 20kgms^-2. So you've gone and multiplied when you should have divided.
1N = 1kgm/s^2
Standard nominal gravitation on Earth is 9.8m/s^2
etc.

But it demonstrates my point, nobody measures shit that way and it's confusing even when you know it. You don't go pick up 9.8N of flour, or 4.9N of butter and 2.45N of choc chips to go make cookies.
I'd buy them if I could. Sounds delicious.

moorey

call me Mia
Since we're explaining the joke, we might as well kill it all the way.
The SI unit for Mass is Kilograms.
The SI unit for Weight is Kilograms; with the vector, 9.8m/s^2 commonly being implied. Nobody says "That box weighs 20kgm/s^2".

The joke is formed by the incongruity in the terms (they themselves are being confused even within the joke), in addition to "mass" being used as an abbreviated/anglicised version of "enmasse".

Does this mean you now love me?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I had a far more berating longer reply, but I'll concede, having reread my post, my phrasing is poor; so, disappointingly, I have to be polite shorter in response.
The box would "weigh" 2.04kg, which is also 20kgms^-2. So you've gone and multiplied when you should have divided.
1N = 1kgm/s^2
Standard nominal gravitation on Earth is 9.8m/s^2
etc.

But it demonstrates my point, nobody measures shit that way and it's confusing even when you know it. You don't go pick up 9.8N of flour, or 4.9N of butter and 2.45N of choc chips to go make cookies.
My assumption was that your hypothetical box had a mass of 20kg as most scales are should be in my opinion calibrated for earth gravity.

EDIT: I could be wrong on the calibration of the scales thing, this is also an assumption which I'm not finding any conclusive answers for despite furious Googling.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
LTIL, that a simple dad joke has spawned a debate with some parts of the argument being based on assumptions and the collective wisdom of Google.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Yeah, and re-reading the bit where I said the 9.8ms^2 vector is assumed, that's just poorly phrased. It's not how I thought it in my head, but the way it comes out on the page is that you can just "drop that" part of the units and let it be ignored, ie. 20kgm/s^2 = 20kg.

Which would be clearly wrong, even from a logical point of view, you can't just drop units.
As I mentioned earlier I am also guilty of dropping the acceleration component from the hypothetical box and assuming that you meant a 20kg mass... is this the part where we hug?

Reactions: Zaf

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
kilogram force (kgf) or Newton (N). 1kg weighs 9.81kgf or 9.81N. But it was a dad joke so no need for pendantry.