Little Things You Love

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep flooding is easily done esp if you use too much choke and the thing is warm.
Other reason for 2 chainsaws is they are easily jammed in a cut and you need the other to get it out.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
This could be a story for the fuckwits thread but it's not because (whilst I'm still a fuckwit) I wasn't treated like one.

We are blessed to be the home and carer's of my brother's aged chainsaw. Despite the fact that it dates from around 1993...this model of Husqvarna (455 Rancher) remains in production till this day. Think of it as the Nissan Skyline...

Powerful. Decent 20 inch bar. Runs well when it runs. Heavy. Exhausting. Seemingly cursed.

Honestly...every time I try to use it it...it crashes. Or I chuck it as far as I can throw it...or at least away from my feet.

Finally, I thought, this is dumb. A chainsaw should not defeat me. I tidyed it up. Squared the bar. Newly sharpened chain. Running sweet. Hooked it into a big old tree and it nailed it. YES. Set sail on the second cut...and it died like it had been stabbed.

I proceeded to behave like it was Giant's fault that I had fallen off the skinny.

When all good reason had returned, some actual fault finding happened. Turned out the ignition module had sparked its last.

Naturally, I turned to some random Chinese knockoff module that a bloke in Melbourne said I could have next week for a third of the price that the local dealer said I could have about the same time. For three times that. Plus freight...

It turned up. I fitted it. There was spark. And the mongrelfuggingcunovaovashitstirringbastardcunovacunt...still wouldn't start. The Lad cleverly figured this out and cleared the shed before his ears burned.

I gave up.

I walked the walk of shame.

I walked into the local small engine mechanic with my cursed chainsaw. This past morning.

I said I couldn't start it. It was beyond me.

He looked me in the eye.

He set the choke. He pressed the primer. And he let her rip.

That fucking thing started. He flooded the shop with smoke.

He said: You probably flooded it.
I thought: I'm a fucking joke...

"Bring it back if it gives you grief but yeah they are pricks of things..."

And I skulk right out the door...

And yet the LTIL is the nod I got from Old Mate before I left is that it happens to us all...

I still dead set despise that chainsaw...
I could feel the love still. You just don't get that sort of relationship with modern chainsaws.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
That said, my 20yo ms390 that cut all out heating wood for most of the last 20 years is dying. Maybe if paid for some of the new little parts I need rather than repairing and making myself... NO, it is the children who are wrong.
Pfft, where is the fun in that? Anyone can go out and buy new parts...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
That said, my 20yo ms390 that cut all out heating wood for most of the last 20 years is dying. Maybe if paid for some of the new little parts I need rather than repairing and making myself... NO, it is the children who are wrong.
so you have almost every fork that RS has ever made, and more parts than CRC in your underground bunker, but no spare parts for something that you actually use and rely on working from season to season..Hmm

moorey

call me Mia
It’s a pride thing...and in all honesty, a band aid. It’s now my spare chaino, and the little parts add up to hundreds of dollars for a saw that has no right to still be alive. Not engine parts...above my pay grade...just clutch, oiler etc.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I could feel the love still. You just don't get that sort of relationship with modern chainsaws.
Ohhh I don't know...our other chainsaw is a tiny budget Stihl MS180 that we bought last year. It's like an inexhaustible Jack Russell...and I find it endearing.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
This could be a story for the fuckwits thread but it's not because (whilst I'm still a fuckwit) I wasn't treated like one.

We are blessed to be the home and carer's of my brother's aged chainsaw. Despite the fact that it dates from around 1993...this model of Husqvarna (455 Rancher) remains in production till this day. Think of it as the Nissan Skyline...

Powerful. Decent 20 inch bar. Runs well when it runs. Heavy. Exhausting. Seemingly cursed.

Honestly...every time I try to use it it...it crashes. Or I chuck it as far as I can throw it...or at least away from my feet.
I just bought a Husky 455 Rancher. I can only hope my relationship is not as complicated in the future.
I bought the 455 and jumped to Husqvarna after reading some horror reviews of the new Stihl MS391. Took it up to the farm last weekend and started clearing trees after the fires. I love it! (for now)

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I just bought a Husky 455 Rancher. I can only hope my relationship is not as complicated in the future.
I'm inclined to think that my relationship with it is tainted by a decade or more of neglect and a seemingly constant parade of practical fault finding that has resulted now that I'm trying to use it. Things will get better...

moorey

call me Mia
so you have almost every fork that RS has ever made, and more parts than CRC in your underground bunker, but no spare parts for something that you actually use and rely on working from season to season..Hmm
Case in point...broke a retaining clip in the clutch. Broken part spinning around loosely in there mashed up the elbow joint from the oiling pump that goes to the bar. 1 week wait on a $25 bit of tiny plastic. Nothing some Araldite can’t sort.