Little Things You Love

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Was he still there at the end?

I've been on a tour through Loy Yang A a couple of times with work, and looked through the hatch into the furnace - they are engineering marvels and incredibly cool bits of kit. The stories of when a turbine blade is thrown are fun!

I wonder why the stacks at Hazelwood were brought down though? I would have liked them to have been preserved as a reminder of the folly that was brown coal fired power... Or at least to the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" :)
No, finished late 90's. Retired old fisherman now.
Back in the early days, he took me to work a few times (was pretty young so don't remember much). I do remember being down in the mine climbing on the machinery!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Was he still there at the end?

I've been on a tour through Loy Yang A a couple of times with work, and looked through the hatch into the furnace - they are engineering marvels and incredibly cool bits of kit. The stories of when a turbine blade is thrown are fun!

I wonder why the stacks at Hazelwood were brought down though? I would have liked them to have been preserved as a reminder of the folly that was brown coal fired power... Or at least to the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" :)
Find yourself an USC unit or even better a nuclear unit for a tour. My old parent company made power reactors. That is QA/QC or TQM if you prefer. The Victorian stations are 1950s tech.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Find yourself an USC unit or even better a nuclear unit for a tour. My old parent company made power reactors. That is QA/QC or TQM if you prefer. The Victorian stations are 1950s tech.
Oh yeah, super old tech. Very steam punk places :) But still impressive that they manage to make them work burning glorified mud... Trust the Germans to figure it out :)

Crappy photo, but the name plate on the turbine made me chuckle.

The thing that impressed me most about the furnace was the sound... Bowels of hell. A flame the thickness of a bus spiralling up a 5 story high cylinder. Most impressive indeed.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
are they asbestos lined?

stirk

Burner
On a lighter note, Alan Jones going off air is a LTIL. But I'm sure he'll have other ways to sprout his bullshit till his last breathe.

Never listened to his show myself but always got wind of the crap he said, not sure he said many apologies, not that kind of guy.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Tidy surgery by an excellent surgeon. You know he understands riders needs when he has Pushys boxes on his desk. Collarbone. My wife's before and after. Tabletops are evil kids :)
Very neat. Wish mine was like that, instead of the bunnings hardware aisle assortment I ended up with...