Little Things You Love

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Was he still there at the end?

I've been on a tour through Loy Yang A a couple of times with work, and looked through the hatch into the furnace - they are engineering marvels and incredibly cool bits of kit. The stories of when a turbine blade is thrown are fun!

I wonder why the stacks at Hazelwood were brought down though? I would have liked them to have been preserved as a reminder of the folly that was brown coal fired power... Or at least to the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" :)
No, finished late 90's. Retired old fisherman now.
Back in the early days, he took me to work a few times (was pretty young so don't remember much). I do remember being down in the mine climbing on the machinery!

Dales Cannon

Odious Geriatric
Staff member
Was he still there at the end?

I've been on a tour through Loy Yang A a couple of times with work, and looked through the hatch into the furnace - they are engineering marvels and incredibly cool bits of kit. The stories of when a turbine blade is thrown are fun!

I wonder why the stacks at Hazelwood were brought down though? I would have liked them to have been preserved as a reminder of the folly that was brown coal fired power... Or at least to the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" :)
Find yourself an USC unit or even better a nuclear unit for a tour. My old parent company made power reactors. That is QA/QC or TQM if you prefer. The Victorian stations are 1950s tech.

Haakon

veni, vidi, volanti
Find yourself an USC unit or even better a nuclear unit for a tour. My old parent company made power reactors. That is QA/QC or TQM if you prefer. The Victorian stations are 1950s tech.
Oh yeah, super old tech. Very steam punk places :) But still impressive that they manage to make them work burning glorified mud... Trust the Germans to figure it out :)

Crappy photo, but the name plate on the turbine made me chuckle.

The thing that impressed me most about the furnace was the sound... Bowels of hell. A flame the thickness of a bus spiralling up a 5 story high cylinder. Most impressive indeed.