Little Things You Love

moorey

call me Mia
All good until you see one peck the eyes out of a weak lambing ewe. Good to see em redeeming themselves here.
I’m not sayin they aren’t ruthless...and as someone dead against any animal cruelty, that stuff is hard watch...but it’s narural, no malice, not gratuitous. Grew up on a farm, some things I saw (and did) still haunt me.
I used to follow @natureismetal on Instagram, but some stuff was just to upsetting to watch.

moorey

call me Mia
And destroy food crops in a matter of minutes.
Yeah, that's not really crows/ravens. Are you thinking of corellas et al? (at least in personal experience).
Sure, in some countries big flocks of crows are damaging, but I wouldn't say here in aus, by any stretch, particularly compared to other animals.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, that's not really crows/ravens. Are you thinking of corellas et al? (at least in personal experience).
Sure, in some countries big flocks of crows are damaging, but I wouldn't say here in aus, by any stretch, particularly compared to other animals.
Crows/Ravens in large numbers do damage too, I grew up on a fruit farm. We used to shoot them back then, they eat anything from grapes to tomatoes and just make a mess of everything. They're a bastard of a bird, they steal chicken eggs and even take hatchlings from other native birds. The little brown sparrows were bad back then too, which you don't see a lot of around Brisbane anymore.

moorey

call me Mia
Crows/Ravens in large numbers do damage too, I grew up on a fruit farm. We used to shoot them back then, they eat anything from grapes to tomatoes and just make a mess of everything. They're a bastard of a bird, they steal chicken eggs and even take hatchlings from other native birds. The little brown sparrows were bad back then too, which you don't see a lot of around Brisbane anymore.
Fair enough. I’m from a cereal crop background. Different world.

ausdb

Being who he is
All good until you see one peck the eyes out of a weak lambing ewe. Good to see em redeeming themselves here.
So my kids have pet chickens in our backyard, and lately a few ravens/crows have decided to frequent our yard more than normal. Does this mean I should be worried the black birds are stalking the chickens when they get let out? It's bad enough with all bloody neighbourhood cats having them on their hit list as well?

mark22

Likes Dirt
So my kids have pet chickens in our backyard, and lately a few ravens/crows have decided to frequent our yard more than normal. Does this mean I should be worried the black birds are stalking the chickens when they get let out? It's bad enough with all bloody neighbourhood cats having them on their hit list as well?
Never seen them worry chooks, chicks if you have em would be a target though.