Little Things You Love

scblack

Leucocholic
The expensive kits that adults buy are definitely status symbols for the people I know who buy them...or aspire to.
Coming back to here and sorry you're wrong. Lego is a not a corporate status symbol. If I displayed some of these in my office I would probably be laughed at, not held in esteem. Many colleagues would love it, but its not a symbol for pride of place in business. I do them at home with my kids and have fun with it.

It's a toy I enjoy tinkering with, in some manner reliving the joys of being a kid and LOVING the intricate engineering that turns generic plastic blocks into a $3m sports car, dump truck or spaceship.

While the cost of some of these may be more than you're prepared to spend on them, its not a big cost for many hours of enjoyment. That Millenium Falcon cost me USD239.00 and took a full 24+ hours to make - about a month of spare time. (Not $6k, you fell hard with that one). I don't piss my salary down the trough at the pub, gamble it away or cough it up as cigarettes. I don't know who you are seeing that buys them as status symbols, but having worked in the corporate world for 25years I have never seen a Lego kit on display in someone's office, nor heard anyone brag about how big their Millenium Falcon is.

Its a hobby with a toy, that many adults grew up with, have remained in love with and now continue in their spare time.:cool:

scblack

Leucocholic
@moorey think you touched a nerve mate!
Haha, maybe. I do enjoy a light-hearted barny.

It reminds me a cartoon I saw years ago: A wife is telling her husband to go get off the computer and come to bed, and he responds "Just wait on, a guy said something on the internet. And he's Wrong!"

Z

Zaf

@scblack It's a tough position to be in, but it's not use arguing against the defining laws of the universe.

Moorey's Razor: All things being equal, generic Lego will always be better than kit Lego.
I might be oversimplifying it a little, but essentially generic Lego has greater entropy and as such a higher amplitude on its order/disorder cycle. Kit Lego has lower entropy and sits in a fixed state, so is just less gooderer.

scblack

Leucocholic
Sample study of 1.

Go nuts, enjoy your LEGO, sorry to trigger you AGAIN.
Consider me triggered! I bought that Mack truck in honour of you, 'cause I can...and BigW has a big toy sale on now.

Its all good fun, at least until someone spills a drink!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@scblack time for you to buy the matching g real life truck and really.nail home the message. I've seen some wierd status symbols. Canberra mostly.

@Zaf those brakes do look nice. Theres plenty of shine power for hopes. One of my buddies has gold levers. Solid pure 24 carrots of gold man!!! Or a good anno.

@moorey don't forget coffee wine and food! When a burger gained wank factor wanks had gone too far.

Reactions: Zaf