Long term bang for buck

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Now that is a good looking bike. What happened to the og forks?
Still got them sitting around as backups. Marz Am1 sl, the predecessor to the 55 with travel adjust and lockout.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
^ I'll bet they have a 1 1/8 steerer...

I had quote a few Marzocchi from that era. Solid and smooth.
Indeed it does. Yeah that Marzocchi fork was ahead of its time. The travel adjust never gave me any trouble and it was a much stiffer and plusher fork than my f32 talas.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Osprey bladder, that I use in a cheapo pack
Nuke proof protons
Hope hubs
Hope V4s, bought 2nd hand and still kicking goals
Uturn pikes, on their 4th frame now
My cheap truing stand bought for $50 from Johnny Sprockets 90% as good as the park one that cost as much as a Korean hatchback, and 100% more convenient
Roger Musson's wheel building book
Cycling Deal torque wrench
Lev dropper
A steel DJ frame that gets used for rides with the kids, "massive air", after work rides along the creek, skills practice, the local pump track and posing outside the local shopping centre to impress the kids and chicks.

John U

MTB Precision
Pearl Izumi windstopper gloves for commuting. Have done about 8 years worth of work. Perfect for 5-15 degrees. Almost rooted. Unfortunately I can’t find an equivalent.
Deuter 8 +4 litre hydration pack. Great kit.
Source bladders. Easy to use, fill, maintain.
Camel bak bottles. Wouldn’t be without them.
Topeak 18+ multi tool. Bought a second one.
Topeak mountain morph. Have helped many people out of a tight spot with this. Bought a second one. Spare parts available.
Park patches. Simply do the job, simply.
Ice Breaker under shirts. So good for about 9 months of the year.
Wool bike socks, whatever brand. Humphrey Law do some locally made ones which are tops.
Lazer Genesis helmet. Excellent helmet for general riding.
Troy Lee D3 - most comfortable DH helmet I’ve used.
Troy Lee Xc gloves
Stan’s.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bumping this back up.
I'm taking aldi shorts off my list. The velcro on both of mine has gone and I reckon they are cut a bit odd and undersized.
And I will add the following:
  • fox ranger shorts. They are so durable and comfy to wear and the liners are awesome. Got mine for $60 - just need to find them on sale.
  • crank brothers stamp 1 large pedals. Not sure why I would pay more for ally ones.
  • Michelin Wild Enduro Magi-x. Found it so much more predictable than the DHF.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bumping this back up.
I'm taking aldi shorts off my list. The velcro on both of mine has gone and I reckon they are cut a bit odd and undersized.
And I will add the following:
  • fox ranger shorts. They are so durable and comfy to wear and the liners are awesome. Got mine for $60 - just need to find them on sale.
  • crank brothers stamp 1 large pedals. Not sure why I would pay more for ally ones.
  • Michelin Wild Enduro Magi-x. Found it so much more predictable than the DHF.
Every pair of shorts I've ever owned wear through on the backside and eventually tear, the rest of the shorts hold up fine.

9sp Alivio cassette, roughly on it's 5th chain and still shifts pretty good.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Time Atac mtb pedals.

I've had the same pair since 1997, never been rebuilt, never needed to be. I've added two more pairs to the fleet to cover everything i ride, including the roadie.

They never clog and have had the same release tension since new.
I have 3 sets of the DH ones. One set is older than my relationship with the mother on my children. Which is going close to 16 years. Never serviced them they just keep going.

Brow

Big Block
I got 2 pair of Expedo SPD cheapo pedals over 20yrs old. Never serviced and still smooth as. Bought some XT SPD pedals a while ago on special just so I could buy new pedals. Old ones look like they are never going to give up but gotta buy something new for the bikes now and then.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
1993 Dia-Compe Aheadset. I have two on bikes, each has been serviced (lubed) at least once in 26 years.

Pearl Izumi, Shimano BB's (and most Shimano things, especially those with XT on them) and Netti stuff on special has been my Aldi shorts for 20 years too.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Anything made by Syntace.
5YR replacement warranty on carbon bars and posts!
My current bars and stems have outlived 2 frames.
The P6 HiFlex posts are by far the most comfortable and strong post for a hardtail/gravel grinder/roadie

Tune Speedneedle Marathon saddle
Sure, $350 is a big upfront cost but damn its comfy (for me).
Recently spent some time on another saddle whilst waiting on a replacement and it was awful.
Mine dealt with 2,200 usage hrs in the last 5yrs until it met its end in a crash involving a car. (16c per hour)

Wolf Tooth Fat Paw Grips
Like Esi's but fatterer

Wolf tooth steel SS cogs
9000km and still looks new

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I once had schwalbe marathon plus tyres and the basically got replaced at about 8 years after the sidewall was showing very little signs of rubber cracking. Could have kept going but I decided to put it out of its misery. Not sure how many kms but never did I once get a puncture.

zac

Likes Dirt
The worst is when you find something that is worthy of this list and it inevitably comes time to replace it but they no longer make that product and everything else seems inferior.
2003 Marzocchi DJ1 fork... Still runs like a dream, admittedly I'm by no means a jumper and use it as a trail fork but it works perfectly for that at my size (100kg+)
2003 Dice Whiplash brakes... I broke 2 of the front levers through crashing and overtightening but the rear is still going strong. Might be due a bleed though, and have to see if I can still get the Hayes style pads for it...
2003 Dice pedals - Can't remember what model they were (not sealed bearings) but still have had no problems.

Admittedly I've had a couple of years lately where I barely rode, but this has all lived on 3 frames ('02 G-Spot, '05 Rampage and '05 Teocali) and is still good. Also from the same era a Blackburn Hydrapak, been through 4 bladders in it but the pack is still going strong (wish I knew where the waist straps went though)

Also the BBB stuff, I've been running their lock on grips and flat pedals on another bike for a few years and I've been really happy with them.

Brow

Big Block
Forgot about my floor pump, gotta be over 30yrs old and still good. It is a Silca but I don't remember paying that much. Just remember thinking it should be ok as it had a steel main barrel.