Loud squealing & frame violently vibrates when brakes are applied.

Howdy all,

Have the above problem when the brake is applied to the back caliper, this resulted in loud squealing and violently vibrates the frame.

SRAM x0

Any idea?

Thanks

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What he said. Could also be contaminated pads.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Isildur

The Real Pedant
The squealing would be contamination. A few ways to deal with that.

The shuddering though, I'd be thinking that your caliper bolts or brake mount may not be on properly, causing excessive movement.

Good luck!

mark22

Likes Dirt
Chuck the pads and clean the rotors with brake cleaner and emery paper them. And don't get crc/oil on em again...............

Daisy

Likes Dirt
sorry to hear that. i had this issue on my 2011 merida 120 when i purchased 2nd hand in 2013. i believe there are 2 'sounds' that the brakes will make.

is it the 'turkey wobble' - more higher pitch
or
like a foghorn - deeper bass sound
can you feel the vibration through the bars ?
have you just bought the bike ?
have you replaced any parts recently that you believe has caused this ?

read this thread i posted a few years back: Vibrating Rear Brake, Merida 120, NSW

Cheers, Daisy

Daisy

Likes Dirt
I feel for you mate. Having experienced this shitty issue a few years back, it made me not want to ride my bike...... sad but true.

There is a guy in USA that did a thesis on this, about mtb brakes & resonant frequency. It's online as a pdf file but I can't find it again. I'll let you know if I get it.

Please post an update in the coming weeks.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I had a similar vibration/resonance once and it turned out to be caused by a collapsed suspension pivot bearing, just something else to add to your list of things to check.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Best bet is to throw your pads and rotors away and buy good quality pads plus some XT icetech rotors. Some frames just don't like scram brakes and no matter what you do, you get the screaming turkey.

dj jedijunglesnow

Likes Dirt
I had exact same issue. Brake alignment perfect, tried new pads etc, still couldn't get rid of it. Did some online research and after a couple of other people's suggestions I taped a fishing sinker to the top of the caliber bolt. I kid you not it fixed the vibration straight away! I've tested it by removing the sinker and it comes back again straight away as well!