Lower back

Anyone got suggestions for lower back problems/ strengthening, my back goes into pain spasms when doing a lot of climbing and on 3hr plus rides,
All suggestions appreciated.Cheers

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
In the same boat.

Things to try:

Sitting up straight when sitting in chairs ALL THE TIME, the same goes for standing.

(Physio got me doing this)
Lay on your back, knees bent, feet on ground with arms by your side. be relaxed, the idea is to use only the required muscles to do this exercise and so that you become aware of what muscles are needed.
Push your lower back/belly button into the ground so there is a tiny gap. You can put your fingers under your lower back to check.
Lift one foot off the ground slowly.
You should be aiming to keep your midriff in the same position as when you started. As your foot comes off the ground you also want to keep your hips level.
Put your foot back down slowly.
If you can do this without straining, try and straighten you leg out slowly after you have taken your foot off the ground.
The idea is to make it as hard as possible without straining anything else, squeezing your back (upper and lower) etc. You should only feel your lower abs doing work, thats the belly button down.
5mins at a time is enough and as many times per day as you can, 4+.

Squats(with a weighted up barbell) are good, again concentrate on keep the core tight.

Even when you go riding, if you can, go a bit slower and concentrate on keeping your posture.

You need to make the process of keeping your posture subconscious, takes a bit of time though.

Zam

Likes Dirt
IF you goto the gym things like squats, deadlifts and hyper extensions are good for the back, and any other exercise which strengthens the core, planks are also pretty awesome.

Also, as mentioned stretching and perhaps invest in a foam roller, they can work wonders,.

driftking

Wheel size expert
It's important to know the source of the pain, is this a Injury, deconditioning or posture.
Does it Only happen on the bike or a certain bike.
Bike frame fitment needs to be considered along with overall riding position.
Stretching is great in general so get onto those. As for strengthening the back, you need to make sure you only do what you can, it's easy to damage the back with improper form or going to big to fast. So after clearing and checking your form and ability, any exercises that work the core to be stable is best. As mentioned planks, squats, deadlifts etc. cut out me raises and crunches and anything that stops the core been stable. Not Only are they bad for your back as it rounds it also is teaching the core poor engagement. You want the core to remain stable not contract then relax, you want it to be engaged and stable the entire time

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Anyone got suggestions for lower back problems/ strengthening, my back goes into pain spasms when doing a lot of climbing and on 3hr plus rides,
All suggestions appreciated.Cheers
so more riding if you have to, but slowly increase the time on bike each week. When you start riding on a long one start mixing up your position early on - consider a riser bar and increasing hand height for long rides.

I think I know the exact feeling you are talking about, and everybody I ride with on long rides gets it - i reckon if we were doing an epic every week, the pain would go - but by and large youre not built to be leaning forward on handlebars for hours on end.

The best training for any sport is doing more of it

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Sounds to me if it is taking up to three hours to get serious symptoms bike ergonomics is probably the most important and perhaps the easiest factor to modify initially.

Does it make a difference if you stop every hour for a stretch?
Any previous history of back pain or injury - ie. is there an underlying cause?
Has this just suddenly occured? has your weekly km's/hrs ramped up or some other factor (new bike?)...

I get some intermittent back pain, usually takes no more than 1.5 hours to get to the point where I must stop. It doesn't occur at all if I am training regularly - squats / bent over rows (more hamstring flexibility = less LBP for me).

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
here's my experience on this;

it's essentially a core issue (assuming bike posture/fit is ok), however it will be exacerbated by poor pedal technique or over Exertion which happens on a climb. as the climb gets steeper, your lower back plays a bigger role in offering the legs a platform to lever off, so fatigue = pain. stretching will relieve pain and seems to promote faster healing, 'controlled climbing drills' where you focus only on technique allows the muscles to adapt (strengthen) so it won't be a shock to the system when you do hit a big climb in the future. So once you have a painless climbing posture sorted, the trick is to always hold that posture on the climbs - so the drills ... pedal, posture, bike position, controlled climbing should give you efficiency or economy on the climbs, ie. good speed less energy required overall less accumulated fatigue.

Last edited:

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Find a good Pilates class and strengthen your core the best thing I ever did
Second this, as the other guys have said your core is a key element in cycling and is heavily relied on while riding, unfortunately cycling doesn't exercise it as such just places strain on it, I had a bulging disc in my L5 or L6 and did 6-8 weeks of Pilates and went from hardly being able to ride 30k with out back pain to near on nothing.

Also simply doing these exercises helps to loosen your back up as well.

Combined that with seeing a miyotherapist (sp?) once a week to get the muscles in my back released helped a lot with actually being able to apply the stretches properly.

Rhys

driftking

Wheel size expert
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Unless you want to single-handedly fund my retirement- yes, I'm a physio. Firstly, get your bike sorted out so it fits perfectly- takes time and you really need to trust your LBS fitter and try changing one thing at a time and really trying it out properly. Secondly, come see me if you're in Adelaide or ask around in your home town until you find a physio who knows bikes. A good sign is that they let you bring your prized bike into their nice, clean, carpeted studio or, even better, follow you around in the forest.

This goes for all you boys: no self-prescription of back exercises with massive heavy weights at the gym!!!! I second the comment about pilates too. There, I've just saved you all a fortune in the long run. El :)
Not been a physio I will however +1 this though.
While exercise like the deadlift and squat and hypers may be good for core strength they are very easy to mess up I think I did touch on that in my earlier post, form is crucial to get right with these exercises without proper form you are in big trouble. Lots of people start with no weight for a little while to just get the mechanism correct. I started deads and realized I as twisting a little on lifting so I have stopped until I see a trainer. I would point out you dont need to go heavier with these to help the back, it depends on your goal and whether that needs low load high reps or visa versa, but in every case form is king.
See someone qualified or go with someone who is well experienced to direct in that movement.
If you have any sort of injury I would urge anyone to see a professional as it complicates the situation.

A workout is only 'Good" if its done correctly.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Who said anything about massive weights? I mearly said deadlifts, squats, hypers where good exercises for the back and core, regardless of weight you lift, I maintain this....

YES you will need to ensure your bike is fitted correctly in the first place as without this your back will still cop a caining on longer rides regardless of core and back strength.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I personally am still waiting for some evidence to show that 'core stability' training actually offers any healthy or performance benefits over conventional training practices. To date, no evidence exists.

I'd also like a definition of the 'core' because hyper extensions certainly in my opinion (I teach anatomy / neuro anatomy physio/osteo degrees) certainly would activate some fairly important postural muscles.

The core stability crowd have been suckered in by marketing and pseudo science. Any exercise that challenges posture under loading is good for ones back (depending on the diagnosis), with squats and deadlifts being the best.

Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies, much appreciated, I am booking in for a bike fit with my mtb,road and commuter bikes next week. Gonna spend quality time over the winter trying to get it sorted, Pilates keeps cropping up,
For the earlier responses, if I stop and get off and stretch it settles down for a while, I think it is purely muscle not vertebrae, exacerbated by a bad riding position, not a big fan of weights so also looking more at stretching type exercise supplemented with swimming or skipping to concentrate on the core. Once again thanks for all the replies.cheers

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I'd rather not become embroiled in an argument here and yes, squats are probably good for the core; deadlifts probably not. Hyperextension doesn't use the core: it stretches it & works the muscles that oppose it and often lead to back pain. And I'm out :tape:
The core is essentially everything that isn't an extemity, the chest could almost be called core although traditionally the core is the band under he chest and it spans around the back, the upper legs are also involved in core stability Albiet is it more an extremity the muscles from the legs come up into the lower back.

By your post it seems you feel the core is just the front abs....?

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
The core is essentially everything that isn't an extemity, the chest could almost be called core although traditionally the core is the band under he chest and it spans around the back, the upper legs are also involved in core stability Albiet is it more an extremity the muscles from the legs come up into the lower back.

By your post it seems you feel the core is just the front abs....?
There are 26 muscles in the 'core' and it includes all muscles that have their origin ans or insertion points located in the pelvic girdle. Chest muscles are not considered core muscles because they generally have origins on the sternum or superior scap. Lower back problems are very common and could be caused by a mechanical or discogenic issue. Best to consult an allied health professional to properly diagnose the source of your back pain and receive proper treatment. Just my opinion, but that's what I would recommend.

Last edited:

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
There are 26 muscles in the 'core' and it includes all muscles that have their origin ans or insertion points located in the pelvic girdle. Chest muscles are not considered core muscles because they generally have origins on the sternum or superior scap. Lower back problems are very common and could be caused by a mechanical or discogenic issue. Best to consult an allied health professional to properly diagnose the source of your back pain and receive proper treatment. Just my opinion, but that's what I would recommend.
ahh wtf, 26? show me the research where you got that info from pls