VIC Lysterfield Park

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
I had to cut my ride short on my Wednesday after work ride to rescue this little guy
View attachment 297484

I found him alone at the top of the comm track calling out for his mum, so I sat with him for 1/2 hour before I put him in my bag & dropped him off at the Vet.
The Vet said he most likely fell out.
yeh i just od'd on cute too :p
what an amazing experience... good on ya man
...& just read the conclusion. awesome work....youre a champion. nice display of humanity

hoping to run into some roos this weekend actually...that would be cool. forecast looks really good for the whole weekend so lysty is on the cards

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
yeh i just od'd on cute too :p
what an amazing experience... good on ya man
...& just read the conclusion. awesome work....youre a champion. nice display of humanity

hoping to run into some roos this weekend actually...that would be cool. forecast looks really good for the whole weekend so lysty is on the cards
Awesome display of kindness from omac

Franco, plenty of roos and the odd black swamp wallaby ( very timid ). around sunrise or sunset you will find so many that riding is risky.

Great weather, I'm headed there in the next few hours.

Last edited:

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Awesome display of kindness from omac

Franco, plenty of roos and the odd black swamp wallaby ( very timid ). around sunrise or sunset you will find so many that riding is risky.

Great weather, I'm headed there in the new few hours.
i nearly collected one of those wallabies coming out of a drainage ditch when i was up at churchill last time...they really blend in to the surroundings when youre moving. definitely gonna keep an eye out for those little buggers from now on. the lysty roos are awesome and ive had a couple encounters with them on previous rides so know to look out for them...impressive animals and its great sharing the trails/park with them. love it when you get a mob moving through and you just have to stop riding because theres so many of them

damn good weather out there right now...enjoy your ride!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Missed a brown snake by inches, in the process of unclipping I strained a calve muscle so bad I thought the snake got me.

stirk

Burner
Missed a brown snake by inches, in the process of unclipping I strained a calve muscle so bad I thought the snake got me.
Ouch, the snake season has started.

Spring is lovely isn't it, swooping attacks from the air and fanged strikes from the ground. Makes you feel alive!

Chippy255

Cannon Fodder
I dont think iv ever been more keen to ride lysterfield the weather is absolutely sensational currently and is only going to get better :)

Definatly checking out that link

Zam

Likes Dirt
Yep superb weather to hit the trails this weekend, unfortunately looks like I'll be busy all weekend and wont get opportunity to get out on the bike.....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ouch, the snake season has started.

Spring is lovely isn't it, swooping attacks from the air and fanged strikes from the ground. Makes you feel alive!
Add to this the aggressive roos who will ruin your shred if you so much as glimpse at hi roo gf/wives.
Anyone have the best times to ride snake free?

I've noticed they tend to come out late afternoon to soak up some sun, but then they are pretty slow at that time. I've heard the morning they are fast and active - early moring or late?

gregp

Likes Dirt
I always ride Lysterfield mid to late afternoon, on weekends, almost weekly for the past 3 years, haven't seen a single snake there. I assumed ppl who report seeing them ride in the morning.

grumpy

Squid
I have seen 4 brown snakes there in about 5 years of late afternoon riding. just give space and they wont bother you.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Forget the snakes, I ate so many bugs yesterday I think I gained weight. Gotta remember to perfect that breathing through the teeth thing again...

Saw a snake eating another snake head first years back, was another 8 years before I saw another one. Those kamikaze wallabies are much more of a concern!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The biggest concern I had there the other day was the old lady pushing a pram down the upper section of Hug. She freaked me out more than the wallabies!

That was a strange ride come to think of it. The woman that walked past me while I was cutting up a coke can in the back of my car probably thought I was strange.

Then I burn myself on my rotor while I'm adjusting my seat post height. Due to having my dropper serviced at the moment, also the reason for cutting up the coke can.

Then 2 farmers (maybe...??) were attacking / shearing a sheep in the middle of a paddock, not near anything else.

Then the woman pushing the pram just topped off the ride...

Then I got back to the car and no strava recording. For some reason it only recorded a random 200 meter straight stretch somewhere in the park.

It was a really fun ride though, different to the usual youies blasts.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I always ride Lysterfield mid to late afternoon, on weekends, almost weekly for the past 3 years, haven't seen a single snake there. I assumed ppl who report seeing them ride in the morning.
All my sightings have been when I'm on the fire roads. Never actually seen one on the singletrack. YES THEY ARE ALL STICKS - I REFUSE TO BELIEVE ANYTHING ELSE!

redbruce

Eats Squid
The biggest concern I had there the other day was the old lady pushing a pram down the upper section of Hug. She freaked me out more than the wallabies!

That was a strange ride come to think of it. The woman that walked past me while I was cutting up a coke can in the back of my car probably thought I was strange.

Then 2 farmers (maybe...??) were attacking / shearing a sheep in the middle of a paddock, not near anything else.

Then the woman pushing the pram just topped off the ride...
That was a coke CAN you were cutting in the back of the car....right?

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bunch of young folk, approximately 10 or so walkers/joggers, walking up the Snipe trail as I was descending on the HT, the HT doesn't pull up on a dime when it's a little bumpy so I had a Days of Thunder moment as they darted every which way but loose, I aimed straight for the centre of the track, didn't lift off, bodies were darting everywhere, readied myself for a collision but made it through, I'm out of here....Cole Trickle.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A bunch of young folk, approximately 10 or so walkers/joggers, walking up the Snipe trail as I was descending on the HT, the HT doesn't pull up on a dime when it's a little bumpy so I had a Days of Thunder moment as they darted every which way but loose, I aimed straight for the centre of the track, didn't lift off, bodies were darting everywhere, readied myself for a collision but made it through, I'm out of here....Cole Trickle.
I almost hit a family of 5 with a pram on snipe 6 months ago, was bombing down out of control. I kindly pointed out to them that it is a bikes only track and sent them off on a fire trail.