VIC Lysterfield Park

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode lystie yesterday, nearly impossible to tell what trails are open/closed. Can't tell if tape has been removed by Parks or ripped down by dickheads. Looks like they might be erecting permanent metal fold down signs which would indicate open/closed trail. This would be great as would stop the confusion. Saw one at the bottom of red gum track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here... went there yesterday and might as well not have bothered. They've got yellow tape across the entrance to almost everything, including most of the 5 trails that were open after the winds.
Hoping the weekend will see it open as otherwise it's a road trip.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Well, it's going to be easy for now. From FB:

"All mountain bike trails are closed in Lysterfield Park.
Parks Victoria have closed all mountain bike trails due to current storm damage and the forecast for the weather tonight.
A more in depth update will be shared this afternoon/evening.
There are clear trail closure signs at the entrances and tape across trails. Do not ride on closed trails.
This weekends trail build is also cancelled/postponed."

takai

Eats Squid
Well, it's going to be easy for now. From FB:

"All mountain bike trails are closed in Lysterfield Park.
Parks Victoria have closed all mountain bike trails due to current storm damage and the forecast for the weather tonight.
A more in depth update will be shared this afternoon/evening.
There are clear trail closure signs at the entrances and tape across trails. Do not ride on closed trails.
This weekends trail build is also cancelled/postponed."
Can you link to the fb page

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
It's all closed now apparently, possibly a pre-emptive closure due to the expected winds? In any case I need to find something else to do with this ace day now :-S
I was planning to hit Lysty after work... saw the closed notice on FB so I went to Red Hill instead.

It was perfect out there! :)

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like Parks have closed some more trails north of Wellington road. I agree that they should close the dangerous man made trails, but they have closed one of the link trails to the set of lights at Lysterfield road

Here is a copy of an email I sent Parks, interesting to see what follows:

Good Morning

Just wondering if it is possible to communicate with someone at Lysterfield Lake Park re: the recent MTB trail closure north of Wellington Rd?

Recently a trail closure sign has been erected on the link trail from granite track to the set of lights/service station at Lysterfield Road

I would like Park Victoria to reconsider their decision to close this track

Reasons for track staying open:

- Track has been there for over 20 years and has been considered a legal track and has been used for State Series MTB and Fat Tyre Flyer racers in the past (and apparently maintained by Parks Victoria in the 1990’s)

- It’s a direct line to the pedestrian lights at Lysterfield Road

o Closing this track (I feel) will prompt people to cross Wellington Rd where it is not safe

- It does not contain man-made features/drop-offs etc. and is really only a ‘link’ track to the lights for safe crossing into Lysterfield Lake Park

I am happy to meet in person to discuss or lobby the correct people to keep this track open for use and safe travel into Lysterfield Lake Park

Thank you for your time and help

I can be contacted on the details below

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done for that. I can't for the life of me think why Parks would consider that worthy of closure?

Hopefully they will reconsider. Looking forward to hearing the feedback from them.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
They should just leave the illegal trails there and let people ride at their own risk... I haven't heard of anyone getting seriously injured on those and/or wanting to sue Parks Vic. More people probably get hurt on the official trails resulting in ambulance call outs.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Not saying it's right, but if I was to guess at it I'd say they've closed it to reduce the people parking at the servo and on the sides if the road there. Probably not a big issue, but I'd be willing to bet there's a few locals that'd complain about the parking there on busy days...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not saying it's right, but if I was to guess at it I'd say they've closed it to reduce the people parking at the servo and on the sides if the road there. Probably not a big issue, but I'd be willing to bet there's a few locals that'd complain about the parking there on busy days...

Most people who park at the servo go directly into the park south of welly road

latheboy

Likes Dirt
The best trails at Lysty are the ones NOT on the maps...

"I agree that they should close the dangerous man made trails"
Really? should we just have a metre wide concrete path everywhere?

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best trails at Lysty are the ones NOT on the maps...

"I agree that they should close the dangerous man made trails"
Really? should we just have a metre wide concrete path everywhere?
Not real helpful in the current climate with Parks Vic

I'm all for dangerous man made trails that are approved by Parks

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I don't think there is anything that is actually dangerous at Lysty.
There are so many LEGAL trails in other areas around Australia that have far more difficult features.
It's sad that the trails have been there for 20 or more years can't get the tick from Parks...

teK--

Eats Squid

I think you're right. I wouldn't like bikers either if I was the servo tenant as their carpark is almost always filled with cars belonging to bikers.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
reply from Parks, they don't want ANY Northshore MTB trails:

Thanks for making contact with Parks Victoria regarding Mountain Bike trails.
Lysterfield Park is home to approximately 20km of trails designated for mountain bike use including the 6.3km State Mountain Bike Course - home of the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games cross country mountain bike competition.

Parks Victoria together with the Mountain Bike Association of Australia have carefully designed trail alignments to protect environmental values of the park, whilst providing a high quality mountain biking experience. The trail system has been designed for sustainable long term use. Trails are designed and maintained to the International Mountain Bike Association standard to ensure the trails are as safe as possible.

Parks Victoria is working toward closure of all unauthorised Mountain Bike Trails in Lysterfield Park and Churchill National Park. Parks Victoria is working, with the Lysterfield District Trail Riders (LDTR) to maintain the existing authorised trail network, as indicated by formal signage, to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all riders. Last year LDTR and Parks Victoria joined together to fund an upgrade of the formal trail network to ensure the trails are maintained to that IMBA standard. This included improved trail features to enhance the riders experience.

Lysterfield Park is home to a rich Aboriginal Cultural Heritage. Creating and using unauthorised trails can potentially damage or destroy Aboriginal artefacts and sites. The area to the North of Wellington Road, known as the North East Extension, contains known areas of Indigenous Cultural Heritage. Construction and use of unauthorised trails can impact on these important Heritage sites.

Unauthorised trails also represent a significant risk to riders as features such as jumps, berms or boardwalks are not constructed to safe and appropriate standards, and represent a substantial hazard. These trails are also not audited and maintained.

Tracks that are constructed by park users that are not authorised and consistent with the park management plan can threaten the health and biodiversity of our bushland by acting as corridors for the invasion of weeds and pest animals, and can cause erosion.

Parks Victoria will continue to work to maintain the existing trail network to a high standard. We will not be authorising trails in the North East Extension.

Thanks again for your enquiry and I hope you continue to enjoy the use of the extensive authorised trail network.

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks for sharing ctguru. I'd have to say they brought up some very good points that we never really considered.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for sharing ctguru. I'd have to say they brought up some very good points that we never really considered.
I agree, but I think people will all ways use he link trail to the lights even if it is closed