VIC Lysterfield Park

Andrey

Squid
its usually best to leave things where they were lost... someone would get home and go ""oh shit i must have dropped it in the car park" and potentialy return to look for it . Now you have it and chances are the owner doesnt even know about this forum.
It was lying on the road and would have got damaged by being run over.

Cranker

Likes Dirt
Can anyone tell me why the sneaky descent trail from Native track to Upper Buckle needed to be demolished? It was fun little section of trail with tree roots & small features!!!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen on instagram that it's currently closed and they're doing a lot of work to it. Making it a legit trail.
Looks like they are building new berms and features, but not sure exactly what they'll entail as yet.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I can absolutely guarantee you that the Ldtr builders don't have that vision in mind for the trails. I wasn't there Saturday for the build, but I doubt features would have been removed. When we rebuilt that trail last time we were absolutely shagged from carting tons of rock down the hill by wheelbarrow so not enough time was put into sculpting it as such. My understand from this build is that they were more putting some polish onto it than re-making it?

Chill out, it was the trail crew working on it, not parks Vic

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Lysterfield trails closed from tomorrow:

Due to the large amount of rain and the increased traffic at Lysterfield over the last month, ALL the MTB trails at Lysty are closed from midday May 28th until further notice. There is quite significant damage to some of the trails, so urgent repairs are needed. Our PV rangers will be working on repairs to open some trails as quickly as possible, and as soon as the state government restrictions for volunteering with PV are lifted, we will be calling on our whole MTB community to attend a working bee to help repair the damage from rain and heavy traffic. Fingers crossed this will be on the first two weekends of June.

Please stay off the trails while they are closed. This will make the repairs easier and will see the trails reopened sooner.

The fire roads remain open, so you can still enjoy a ride away from the MTB trails.

Thanks for your understanding and patience. LDTR.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

SDA

Likes Dirt
We rode 1 lap of Comm Games on Sunday as traditionally it has held up really well after the rain. It was trashed. I've never seen so many people, newbies, ebikes, ruts, puddles and B lines.
People taking up mountain biking has been great for the cycling industry but terrible for the trails.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
We rode 1 lap of Comm Games on Sunday as traditionally it has held up really well after the rain. It was trashed. I've never seen so many people, newbies, ebikes, ruts, puddles and B lines.
People taking up mountain biking has been great for the cycling industry but terrible for the trails.
Lack of maintenance hasn't helped either, the club hasn't been allowed to do what they usually do so drainage isn't working like it should.

It's a mean combo that's happened. No maintenance, big traffic, noobs, and rain. Lysty hasn't been this trashed in a gooood long time

slowmick

38-39"
What are the chances the hordes will respect the closures. From the little experience I have had marshaling at the Golden Goat i would guess very little impact. The carnage will continue until the puddles are neck deep...

kip01

Likes Dirt
Went there today for a quick spin The place is honestly a joke, same puddles in the same spots have been there for years, and they have it run by volunteers? The most trafficked park in Melbourne.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
What are the chances the hordes will respect the closures. From the little experience I have had marshaling at the Golden Goat i would guess very little impact. The carnage will continue until the puddles are neck deep...
agreed, how will they keep riders off? bring in the fines, is hard though with plenty gorge still mostly shut also

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yarra trails are stuffed too. Even after a good few days of sun it was a mess yesterday. If you ride them a bit it’s obvious which sections to avoid after rain but with all the extra traffic atm trails don’t stand a chance. And it’s hard to close what isn’t officially there

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Moar from lysty, just an update on the current situation...

-------------------------

An update from Flow Mountain Bike on the Yarra Ranges Mountain Bikers Warburton MTB project.

LDTR was asked to comment on our own plans to expand our trail network which happen to be the busiest MTB trails in the country, yet they have half the distance of trail when compared to other busy MTB parks.

Unfortunately, we don't have anything new to report from Parks Victoria since the draft amended management plan public consultation closed in late January. We have been expecting to see a report from PV as to the outcome of the feedback from the community, yet 4 months on we have no more information despite the quickly closing deadline for the draft management plan to come into effect by the end of the financial year. - The draft plan as it stands would effectively block any meaningful trail expansion due to the increase of the Special Protection Area Overlay from 2.5% of the park to just over 54%

Our trail network has seen a 30% increase in MTB riders during Covid-19, the bike industry is going off! The importance of accessible trail networks around the state is clearer now more than ever for the mental and physical stimulation of our communities. Yet our government can't even find the money for recurrent funding of the maintenance of our trails.

Our new trail proposal sought to double the size of our network and hence reduce the load on the current trails, oh how handy they would be right now! - Not only that as a part of our proposal we advocated for proper recurrent funding for maintenance too... once again that would have likely saved us from the current closures.

We wish the Yarra Ranges Mountain Bikers all the best in their project, it seems that the powers that be are against us all.

LDTR

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I was last there 3 weeks ago? It was already getting marshy in spots, full blown swamps in sections but the majority of trails were still more or less ok.

What followed was covid restrictions easing causing increased traffic, and buckets of rain. This on the tail of reduced maintenance because PV have been making things hard for a while (before stopping it completely because of covids). It was only ever going to end one way, we haven't seen slush like this in a decade I reckon.

Working bees are on the cards shortly though, if the build team can cut through the red tape there's a chance some trails might be able to open again soon...

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That back side was a little damp in spots, but not too bad. They had already closed off the circuit from around follow me through to the downhill from the BP so we took the Fire road. And Snipe was closed? Not sure I've ever seen that wet, is it closed for some other reason?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Snipe has some nasty erosion caused by run off from the car park. Trail crew has a plan, so hopefully we'll see it back in action soon.

The rest is closed to try and prevent further damage. It's just copping too much traffic in compromised trails.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Snipe has some nasty erosion caused by run off from the car park. Trail crew has a plan, so hopefully we'll see it back in action soon.

The rest is closed to try and prevent further damage. It's just copping too much traffic in compromised trails.

Mixed with grey water runoff from the house at the end of Rockleigh Park road that’s polluted the drain with standing water where snipe crosses. Pulled a kid out of this a few years ago.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are spots in the park like the Somme. And unfortunately you only find out how bad spots are when it's too late to turn back.

It's been dry all week but the volume of traffic has been so high that it was a matter of time before closure was required. I'm talking cars down Horswood Road volumes of traffic.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My 2c is they need to expand the geographic footprint to ease the flow of traffic. Right now everyone parks at horswood road carpark and everyone goes counterclockwise as per the new rules. All this does is concentrate traffic.

Ultimately Lysty, will need to expand north of welllington road to make the loop bigger and have people starting from multiple directions. As much as trail maintenance and all that helps, it's a little bit of blowing against the wind here. Connecting up to Silvan trails would also ease the pressure a fair bit. Less cars and folks from the east might start in the dandenongs instead.