Lysterfield track closures

Warwick

Likes Dirt
G'day John,

All good questions... Answer: all the above and more....

ParksVic are the land managers of Lysterfield. they have a budget for MTB (it doesn't go far)

There is the foundation IMBA club trying to organise the trail building LDTR www.lysterfieldmtb.com (it is a new club so things are still being ironed out)

There is a trail day this Saturday leaving Trail mix at 10am
Did I mention Please do not ride the singletrack at Lysterfield.... Please let it recuperate for a few weeks at least, til it dries out a bit.....

Does Chase the Sun or trailmix have any legal or contractural obligation to repair or maintain trails there? I would be very surprised if they don't, but then again government departments shouldn't surprise anyone.
If perchance you don't know Ando, who would?
The only maintenance I can recall Parksvic doing there would be the excellent bike bridge on the SW side. And maybe they laid some stones here or there, which have been quite pointless exercises. Someone fiddled round a bit in small sections of the games track , and built some excellent berms there also.... maybe all this stuff was voluntary labour, in which case I can only be grateful.... but I would love to know if anyone is legally obliged.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
the bridge was paid for by a grant obtained by clubFGP (i think...)
I don't think that trailmix or FGP have any obligations to do track maintenance.

About 4 years ago there was a "Yahoo Groups" that used to organise the track building, then Trailmix organised it untill the start of this year when LDTR was founded.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Responsibility

Thanks for the reply Ando,

Forgive me if l am wrong............... I was informed when Trailmix first got the nod that FGP were responsible for the upkeep and design of trails in the Park. It sounded like it was a condition for the shop access and for events/ bike hire and guided school trip and alike. That they were looking at developing new trails and redeveloping older ones to be more sustainable. That FGP were also eyeing off other trail centres in Victoria to develop / build and then manage - using Lysterfield as a model.

Perhaps some of that was true and the responsibility now is broader and requires new structure to get the Park back to its glory days or perhaps l am way off the mark.
I am afraid that l can not attend this Saturday but will aim for the 11/12.

Cheers

JD

Warwick

Likes Dirt
I spoke to Parksvic for some clarification regarding obligations/upkeep/repairs and I whilst I spoke to someone very helpful, she referred me to the Lysterfield guy who hasn't replied.
I also sent a PM to Snozza asking for some clarification, and I have had no reply, though he has recently been online in other threads.
Very interested in this matter. The park is rooted, and it needs some love.

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
There are discussions on the LDTR site relating to the trailbuilds and other works happening at the park so I do encourage you to come pay a visit as you may be able to make suggestions or at least understand more of what is happening there.

Warwick

Likes Dirt
Good work Kathie. We can only appreciate what your boys/girls do. I certainly do, becasue I love this place.
BUT, to your knowledge, is anyone legally or contracturally obliged to maintain/repair trails, before your group does its excellent volunteer mopping-up work?

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
Good work Kathie. We can only appreciate what your boys/girls do. I certainly do, becasue I love this place.
BUT, to your knowledge, is anyone legally or contracturally obliged to maintain/repair trails, before your group does its excellent volunteer mopping-up work?
Perhaps you need to ask at the LDTR forum Warwick. Andy, our President, is in regular contact with both PV and Trailmix and he's probably the better person to answer these questions. I know he's been doing a lot of research and we've registered with IMBA to ensure we have insurance for those working on the trails.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Rode Lysterfield this morning with +1 and was pleasantly suprised at how much the trails have actually dried out. Only a couple of small sections of track around Middle Trail and Upper Buckle were still muddy. Of course with rain forecast this weekend, it might all change again!

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
The water does subside very quickly at Lysterfield. So even with the heavy rain this weekend I expect by mid next week it won't be too bad again.

Warwick

Likes Dirt
I would suggest people stay off it for a week or two. If you ride it when it's soft or wet you will be doing more damage, so please try to stay off it til it dries hard.

Good thing is a lot of the groundwater that has been draining onto trails on the sides of hills has been draining away, finally. Bad thing is we have had another big dump.
Go to the Youies guys, but don't skid in the corners!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I would suggest people stay off it for a week or two. If you ride it when it's soft or wet you will be doing more damage, so please try to stay off it til it dries hard.

Good thing is a lot of the groundwater that has been draining onto trails on the sides of hills has been draining away, finally. Bad thing is we have had another big dump.
Go to the Youies guys, but don't skid in the corners!
+1 is doing a ride down Lysterfield this morning as we speak. She was planning on avoiding Tracks 2,3,4,5 as they were the more "muddy" areas when we rode on Wednesday. Fingers crossed she won't have to wash her bike! :)

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Trail CLosures!!!

Temporary Trail Closures

Due to the heavy rain experienced over the past few months (426.2 ml) the area in the Northern Section of Lysterfield Park has become quite water logged. This has caused most of Buckle and Upper Buckle Trail to become unrideable. To assist with the preservation of the Mt Bike Trails and to support the Park and the ongoing support from The Lysterfield and District Trail Riders and Trailmix these trails will be closed until they dry out.

Other trails can still be ridden and the closed section of trail can be detoured by using Powel’s and Lamberts track. The condition of these trails will be monitored and reopened once they have dried out.

Thank you for your support.

Lard

Likes Dirt
Fines!

From TrailmixLysty on Twitter:

"Any Lysterfield Park users caught on any closed trails will be fined by Parks Victoria."

"The fines start tomorrow!! ....$238 for riding closed trails..."

I'm glad PV are clamping down at lysterfield the same as at Youies.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but i'd like to make sure i'm doing the right thing. is it still ok to ride the fire trails and main tracks around the lake? i wouldn't mind taking my wife over there for a bit of a mild spin and avoiding the singletracks wont be a problem, but i'd hate to be doing the wrong thing by riding the firetrails etc...

serowe

Likes Dirt
I would hazard a guess and say this page answers that question very plainly:

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=136

or, for those that don;t like following links:

Change of Conditions
Lysterfield Park has re-opened, with the Lake picnic area anticipated to open at mid-day Wednesday 9 February.

Remaining closures

All internal Mt Bike Trails, Pedestrian Trails, Equestrian Trails and Fire Management Tracks
Horsewood Road 24 hour car park
Hallam North Road 24 hour car park

Megahead

Likes Bikes
Just read that media release - 140,000 cyclists annually use Lysterfield? That's over 2500 per week. That's a truck load. I recently moved away from Melbourne but rode Lysty most weekends since 2007. The deterioration of the trails in that time was considerable. I've been really happy to read about all the work that's being done but will it ever be enough for the amount of wear that over 2500 riders a week would cause?
Is the government providing any funding for the upkeep of the trails?