Lysterfield XC weeknights

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Just saw your post mushroom - Wed night is fine with me

John, you up for another ride tomorrow night?

As for carparking im easy, if John is coming then id say the telephone box on wellington rd. if not then the new carpark near the comm games track is fine with me also...

Travis.

pchdisco3

Likes Bikes
I usually get into Lysterfield around 9.00pm. I come from the Churchill NP side at 8.30pm (Army tk entrance).

Have been doing Commonwealth games track. Might do it this Wed if I get a replacement HID globe for my light by then.

Might see you out there with the roos.

John U

MTB Precision
Hi Travis and Mushroom,
I can't do wednesday this week. Got an appointment in the city reasonably late. I am in for next Wednseday. Nothing on then.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
No worries John,

oh... BTW i picked up a pair of new tyres today during my lunch break... no need to worry about that sidewall anymore :)

well, 4-5 years wasnt a bad run, even tho they cost $140ea back in the day when 99% of the tyres out there cost 45bux at the most...

if only the new ones were the same shade of green lol

Travis.

John U

MTB Precision
well, 4-5 years wasnt a bad run, even tho they cost $140ea back in the day when 99% of the tyres out there cost 45bux at the most...

if only the new ones were the same shade of green lol
Even at that price that is pretty good value for money. The color won't matter for the next 6 months if we're only doing night rides. They were cool though.

akashra

Eats Squid
The DirtRiders guys have a semi-club ride every Thursday night out there, you could always join up with them.
If you're doing a full lap in 45 minutes though, you must be hammering it pretty hard, considering getting through all the closed gates and other sections - remember that even riders like Spink, Claxton and Randall were doing 38m laps at CTS without the M2006 course - and we've added longer trails since then.

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Awesome, is anyone up for a ride tonight as well?
If you are, send an SMS or call to arrange where to meet. I'll be at Lysterfield around 8pm.
0433 253 100

Last edited:

Travis22

Likes Dirt
akashra,

i have no idea what a "lap" is.

my 45minute lap is just a circle around the whole place doing the trails i like.

and there are only a couple of gates... maybe 3? and they dont really add any time.

also, 45 minutes is during the day... on a good day :)

that said tho... yes it is a hard fast "lap"

mushroom, id love to get out tonight but ive already made some plans in the city tonight... but generally mate, most weeknights im keen to get out there if someone else is.

akashra

Eats Squid
I guess I'd normally consider a lap to be the following:
Start at Lamberts track on Logan Park track.
- Up Lower Buckle Trail to Upper Buckle trail at the East-West Break. Right at EW, then left north onto the fire trail until it reenters singletrack at Upper Buckle.
- Follow Upper Buckle up to the north hill, then down the firetrail descent, before a left onto the gravel firetrail before quickly veering left back into - Upper Buckle Trail (which you can't really do anymore because it's rutted and has been blocked off with deadfall, so you have to go around).
- Follow Upper Buckle all the way to the EWB Fire Trail, go left into the singletrack instead of up the lactic acid inducing hill.
- Take a left once at the top of the singletrack to continue onto Middle Trail - you're now going South.
- Continue all the way down middle trail and continue along Red Gum trail until you get to where the M2006 course joins - follow it straight on (ie, don't ride against the course direction) and go left at the top of the hill onto the firetrail.
- Join onto the singletrack where it goes left, and go down towards the general direction of Hug Trail.
- All the way down Hug trail until you get to the South Break where Blair Witch starts - don't go onto Blair Witch, instead go down the hill to the left.
At the base of the hill go right into the Lower Blair Witch singletrack, then continue through Blair Witch until Lake Circuit at the bottom of the dam wall.
- Don't follow Lake Circuit - instead go down behind the dam wall, along the gravel fireroad, all the way up to the rangers station.
- Following the trail up the southeast side until you get back to the Horsewood Road carpark.
- Continue up the Logan Park firetail to the point you started.

That sounds pretty straightforward doesn't it? Holy crap did I just type all that? :)

Travis22

Likes Dirt
lol - thanks Tim,

basically i would have just said, do all the # mtb trails in the park :)

thats close enough to a "loop" / the loop.

haha.

Mushroom - how were your lights? Did you get out to lysterfield last night???

Let me know if you are keen for tonight.

If your up for it, i just need a little extra time to fit some new tyres, so really is say 8 - 8.15pm to be safe...

Travis.

akashra

Eats Squid
Tsk Tsk, you shouldn't be out at Lysterfield on a Wednesday night, you should be out at Bushy Park racing dirt crits.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Hi Tim,

i havent heard of the race your refering to but im guessing it is over before i could even get there... will look into it tho.

i used to race all of the wed night crits way back when Chris first started at Heany Park... even used to do some riding with Chris back when Army track in churchill used to be one of the best trails in the area :)

but that was back in my school days when i could get there in time... (10years ago?)

If you see him please say hi for me, tho i doubt he'd remember me... if he did it may be as the 'kid' who fuked his face (and bike) up DH training at Olinda back around 1999.

Travis.

akashra

Eats Squid
Travis,

www.knobbysports.org

Bealsy has just gone to Italy as of 2 weeks ago, so we've taken over running the event. It's now at Bushy Park, which is between High Street Road and Burwood Highway, just north of Jells Park on the Wantirna/Glen Waverly border.

6:30pm start for B and D grade tonight, 7:00pm(ish) start for A and C grade - the start groups swap each week (ie, next week will be A/C then B/D). We're generally getting around 70 competitors lately each week.
30 minutes+1 lap format. Watch out for cows.

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Yeh I hit it last night. I loved the Ayups, riding at night didn't feel too much different to daytime in terms of speed/visibility, what more could you ask for?!

Definitely still up for tonight Travis. Lets meet at 8:15pm at the Commonwealth Games Hut. I've got black ayups and a blue giant. pchdisco, did you get your globe?

As for the crits Akashra...hoping to get into them soon.

Matt.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Hi Matt,

wasnt me with a blown? globe...

still got my 'ol trusty Night Pro (USA) from back... when they were USA!

The light sure seemed enough for me... until i was on the trail with John and his HID? Nightriders... man that fuked with my eyes looking at my 'yellow' light on the trail then being lit from behind with a HID...

No probs, ill be home by 7, so its a matter of getting the rack on the car, bike out and ill swap the tyres at a servo on the way (my compressor isnt at home currently)

So i should be there around 8... at the worst 8.15.

Travis.

pchdisco3

Likes Bikes
Mushroom,

I got my globe from HID Technologies yesterday and got up early this morning (4.30am) and headed out on my loop at 5.00am and got back home at 6.15am. Did the full Comm Games track (didn't do the the Granites - might still be lying on a rock right now if I did it at night) and then followed mostly single track back through Churchhill.

I live 1 km from the Army Tk entrance (in Churchhill) so it is really easy to access the park.

Not sure if I'll go again tonight - wife will be getting suspicious about what the heck I'm doing (mistress:)). If I do come out I won't leave home until 8.30pm. By the way where is the Comms Games Hut? Is it near where the Comms Games Tk and Hug Trail meet? If it is, then I couldn't get there until around 8.50pm by taking just the park management roads

PCH

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Hey PCH.

I assume the comms game 'hut' is simply area around the 'new carpark'... the big cleared gravel area where the lil toilet block etc. is / at the end of hallam north road.

Travis

pchdisco3

Likes Bikes
Travis,

If that's the "hut" then it is where I was guessing it might be.

Let me know which way you will head (eg tracks) from the carpark and about what time.

I can't guarantee I'll be there since I'll need to get Ministerial approval to go out a second time in the same day :(

PCH

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Yes, the carpark at the end of Hallam-North road is the one with the toilet block hut. Perhaps Travis and I can do a quick lap of the Commonwealth Games track first then meet you later on for a full circuit. Anyway, take my mobile phone number with you and give a buzz (PM yours if you like) when/if you're there tonight!