Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

fridgie

Likes Dirt

Got a crapload jammed in atm and needs a good clean out but has the essentials....

Beer fridge, microwave, coffee machine, TV, couches (behind where I took photo from), workbench... Just need to keep the missus out.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I`m getting inspired here . Lucky theres a long weekend . My garage looks like yours Fridgie , although at the moment everything is piled up high as we usually flood when we get those super storms . This time though we got lucky where others didn`t . Will post some before and after shots .

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Preview picture of the workshop area in the house I just bought. This will soon hopefully become the best home workshop in Newcastle.......:cool:
I'll post another pic when it's all set up....maybe in 6 months. Picture shows only about half the space since the current owner still has a bit of crap in there.

Hope the picture works - all the photo hosting sites are blocked at work.

IMG_0556.JPG

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Preview picture of the workshop area in the house I just bought. This will soon hopefully become the best home workshop in Newcastle.......:cool:
I'll post another pic when it's all set up....maybe in 6 months. Picture shows only about half the space since the current owner still has a bit of crap in there.

Hope the picture works - all the photo hosting sites are blocked at work.

View attachment 333340
Looks awesome. 90x45 framing for shelves rocks.

Once the sellers crap is gone, seal the floor and walls to cut down on dust, you get one opportunity to do this before you fill it to the brim with your junk. It's amazing how much dust the mortar produces as it slowly crumbles.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers mate - i didn't think of that. I guess I'll start researching Evo seal or something....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks awesome. 90x45 framing for shelves rocks.

Once the sellers crap is gone, seal the floor and walls to cut down on dust, you get one opportunity to do this before you fill it to the brim with your junk. It's amazing how much dust the mortar produces as it slowly crumbles.
Sealant recommendations?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
For light traffic (not cars) water based or oil based clear wood varnish works well, has lasted more then 5 years in my workshop.
God I wish I'd done that when I bought my place. I fight a constant war on the dust layer in my cave - a lot of it can come from overhead framing & insulation too....

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Sealant recommendations?
I used Berger Jet Dry, from bunnings. I purchased a house with an american barn that was well used. I had to scrub the floors with acid wash, pressure wash multiple times. All up, it was about a day of cleaning and prepping, to days of drying, then a couple of days for painting, drying, painting etc.

I also used the Berger non slip grit stuff. Its awesome, but makes it hard to clean the floors as it grabs the dirt ( I live in a very clay based area ).

Came up awesome though! I'll try and post a pic if I can get one of the whole lot, its 3 bays wide so hard to get a decent image of. (EDIT. Turns out I did this already ages ago. Its on Page 6.)

-Shaun

Last edited:

chrischris

Likes Dirt
I painted my garage floor - & it's great.

I did a little research & chatted to a concrete company. They deal with fancy driveways, garages, painted & tinted concrete etc. They recommended 'NuTech' paint for the garage floor.

The stuff from Bunnings isn't bad, but NuTech is a few $$ more, and a better product apparently. I have no data to back it up, but I paid the extra $20 & I'm very happy with the result.

Remember to follow the instructions! Acid wash first, high pressure hose helps too.

EDIT: The floor can be slippery when wet. Make sure you ask about silicon granules to add to the paint. It creates a slight 'sand' effect on the floor for a little grip.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Im excited!!!!

This is my man cave site, i chopped down another tree today which was going be left for shade until I found out via the dial before you dig reports I have a poo pipe running through the corner of my planned slab location. Now I need to reorientate the shed so I don't build over the poop. The shed was going to be 3x5 but now perhaps I'll go with a more square shape and add a metre, 4x5 sounds good. Thanks poop pipe!

IMG_20161126_124814.jpg

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Im excited!!!!

This is my man cave site, i chopped down another tree today which was going be left for shade until I found out via the dial before you dig reports I have a poo pipe running through the corner of my planned slab location. Now I need to reorientate the shed so I don't build over the poop. The shed was going to be 3x5 but now perhaps I'll go with a more square shape and add a metre, 4x5 sounds good. Thanks poop pipe!
Get yourself a good stump grinder bloke. It'll take you a week to dig those suckers out by hand.

4x5 sounds like a good size for a bike garage.

stirk

Burner
Get yourself a good stump grinder bloke. It'll take you a week to dig those suckers out by hand.

4x5 sounds like a good size for a bike garage.
Cheers, have a mate with a digger, half the back yard needs landscaping to make the shed water proof and not be impacted by rain water runoff. The digger will pull the stumps with some help from old mate chainsaw.

Mica

Likes Dirt
For light traffic (not cars) water based or oil based clear wood varnish works well, has lasted more then 5 years in my workshop.
Great idea, thanks for the tip.

If anyone else is thinking of doing this anytime soon, shoot down to Masters and make the most of the 70% clearance. 3.8l for $30!!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Does this varnish require an acid scrub beforehand? I'm currently doing an external reno on my 6x6 timber shed but the inside layout etc will be next.

dromana

Squid
I put up a 6x3 shed the other day.

I was surprised how much the concrete slab cost. I did it myself.

I was also amazed to how thin they make the tin. It's nothing more than a shelter. I upgraded the lock, bolted it to the ground and have chained my bikes to the floor with epoxy anchors. I still don't feel great about having the bikes in there.

Best bet is my big dog to keep em safe

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

I was also amazed to how thin they make the tin. It's nothing more than a shelter. I upgraded the lock, bolted it to the ground and have chained my bikes to the floor with epoxy anchors. I still don't feel great about having the bikes in there.

It's not tin.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Dogs are good, but they don't have to be big as their job is to identify the problem and yours is to solve it. A noisy alarm hanging off a wheel may help calm your nerves https://www.xenasecurity.com/