Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Oh indeed. Did that make much of a difference to the approval process?
Nope. Just took a massive chunk off the build price. Because it's a funky shape (corner of block is not square) and 2 walls incorporate a ret wall, I needed a civil eng to get involved. The eng over spec'd the crap out of the frame and his slab design was the same. It was actually the surveyor who "suggested" going dirt floor to save $ in the end.

I also had to come up with a plan on how to actually build the thing within 200mm of boundary without disturbing the fence (neighbour didn't want to upset their garden). I built the frame about 1500 away from the fence, sheeted the 2 boundary walls then used a small excavator and bobcat to lift the whole thing into position.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I did similar, having a concrete floor with the foundations was an extra level of local government incompetence so I just used piers under the portals. Then had a truck pooh in the middle a bit later after sign off. Make sure you have some foam or membrane between the sheeting and the concrete floor or the sheeting will rust out in no time because of the contact with damp basic concrete.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I did similar, having a concrete floor with the foundations was an extra level of local government incompetence so I just used piers under the portals. Then had a truck pooh in the middle a bit later after sign off. Make sure you have some foam or membrane between the sheeting and the concrete floor or the sheeting will rust out in no time because of the contact with damp basic concrete.
Yep, same same.
Got a plastic flashing that closes out the rib profile at the bottom of the sheet for vermin proofing so planning on concreting up to that. It gives a nice straight edge to work to internally instead of dicking about with the rib profiles. Also avoids the rust issue as you pointed out.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm about to upgrade the man cave to a proper light industrial warehouse. I need to install some second hand pallet shelving. There seems to be a myriad of systems available (Dexion, Colby, APC). Does anyone have any recommendations?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm about to upgrade the man cave to a proper light industrial warehouse. I need to install some second hand pallet shelving. There seems to be a myriad of systems available (Dexion, Colby, APC). Does anyone have any recommendations?
Depends on what you want to put on it. The rip off Dexion stuff works well for storage and tools. If you are going engine's and heavy items, some of the better quality stuff may be the go.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Pallet racking can hold incredible loads, a couple tonne per shelf and more. It's priced accordingly. I doubt you need to store that kind of weight so cheaper options might be better for the budget. Some of the cheaper ones (not cheapest) hold 500kg plus a shelf.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Look around for places that sell second hand. Up here there is a company Absoe and I bought all my racking and shelving used and saved lots. In my limited experience the systems are very similar and I would just go for the best value to store your gold ingots.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Second hand is the go.

I would stick to a brand name, the cheap shit coming from the far east is 1/3 to 1/2 the weight of the Dexion and utter rubbish, welds a blind man would be ashamed of, and an utter disastrous fit from light weight steel that’s twisted after welding. Spot welded shelves that are paper thin.

Don’t be afraid to add extra bolts and screws for extra piece of mind.

And bolt to the floor, and a wall.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Far too tidy. Please let entropy do its thing. Or my oldest son Can move in with you for 4 minutes.
You can't see the whole garage in that shot, entropy had seriously taken hold. My wife and I spend most of yesterday sorting out, throwing out and putting stuff we no longer need on Marketplace. There is now space to move but we are only half done. There's still a 65 Mustang that's buried under camping gear and other "might need that one day" items.
If you want to see real entropy you should see my shed where I do my scrap metal stuff. It's nearly at peak entropy, where if one more item was randomly placed, it would begin to form a black hole from where not even light would escape!:eek:

I'm glad you had a sign there as otherwise people might get confused and park their mountain bike there.
My brother works for the council and he "found" that sign and thought it needed a home. :p

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
What (if anything) are people using to seal concrete floors?
In the coming months I am hopeful of moving into a new place that is being built at the moment. I'm keen to seal the garage floor as I tend to be a bit clumsy and end up with at least a good splash of oil on the floor each time i service a car.
I instantly jumped to thinking about epoxy but wonder if there are other solutions out there. What are people using? Was it easy ro DIY or are professionals required? Was it financially wise?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Anyone had experience with getting someone to come and skim an existing concrete floor? My shed has 50 years of grime built up and when its humid/rainy it goes a bit slick and slimy... Want a concrete equivalent of sanding floorboards so I can then seal/paint it.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
You can hire a wet concrete grinder/ polisher from kennards. 1/2 day would do a double garage easy. messy AF though. Council may have something to say about resultant slurry going down the storm water if that's relevant.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Anyone had experience with getting someone to come and skim an existing concrete floor? My shed has 50 years of grime built up and when its humid/rainy it goes a bit slick and slimy... Want a concrete equivalent of sanding floorboards so I can then seal/paint it.
Pressure washer (the high-pressure industrial type) would probably do a good job of this as long as you've got somewhere the water can get out. They're normally strong enough to strip the outer layer of the concrete.

Haakon

Pressure washer (the high-pressure industrial type) would probably do a good job of this as long as you've got somewhere the water can get out. They're normally strong enough to strip the outer layer of the concrete.
I dunno about that, this stuff is pretty hard...

I also have a concrete patio/deck thing out the back thats got that rough sand/aggregate finish on it that we'd like smoothed off...

Haakon

You can hire a wet concrete grinder/ polisher from kennards. 1/2 day would do a double garage easy. messy AF though. Council may have something to say about resultant slurry going down the storm water if that's relevant.
Yeah, if there was a lot of runoff its going strait across the driveway and into the creek literally next to it... I'd have to set up some sort of bund catching arrangement i reckon.