Marino, SLB-01.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
What is the paint, mate? It's the same type of thing I'm thinking of doing to a frame. Maybe not green, but ...... it looks damn good, I could change my mind.
It's some kind of translucent green. Not exactly sure what they did to it.

But I do think there's an issue going on with it. Maybe the clear coat is porous, or maybe something is going on from the other side (unlikely, the tubing still seems solid in that area), but there's some kind of growing roughness and darkening in patches on the top tube.

Anyone know what it could be, or if it's terminal?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I went back and looked at pics again. Missed the first time that it came painted. I thought you got it bare. I don't know anything about paint really (besides matte black spray cans) but that doesn't look great whatever's going on there.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sad to say, but that's surface corrosion on the steel under the paint. The clear finishes can have this happen. BTR discountinued their clear finish because of occurrences like this.

I believe it's partly because the steel is left raw, rather than having a rust inhibitor applied before painting, and partly just that the clears just don't adhere to the metal and seal it as well as a opaque paint with a base colour and clear topcoat.

Surprising it's spread that much already though, it must have a pinhole in the paint. :(

wkkie

Thanks @beeb. I. Suppose the only way to get that sorted is a strip and re paint?

I'll email Marino and see if I get a response. Still no response to the new frame emails, so let's see how they deal with this...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It’s just surface rust under the clear coat.

happens to all clear coated frames, don’t worry about it and ride.

bmx went through a coloured clear phase and every frame ended up with this happening. It happens under standard paint too, but you can’t see it because of the paint.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm with @Ultra Lord - I'd just let it develop. If it starts getting chunky, then I'd worry about it but it's basically just clear-coated patina at the moment.

wkkie

Yes, I am on the rear at the moment. It's fitted with a Maxxis dhr2, 2.6. I'm about 105kg too, kitted up, give or take... But more give.

They're holding up pretty well. I've had to give them a few tweaks to adjust the tension, but nothing major.

No dings or flat spots. I'm running some Clarke rubber home made foam rim protection, which is probably overkill, but has done the job on some fairly low pressure in the rear!

The front has been no issues either, with less use, but haven't had to touch them at all. The 15mm and 20mm converters have come in handy too!

They came tubeless taped, just had to throw the valves in.

All up, been awesome value!

slowmick

38-39"
Thank you very for that. That's awesome news. A mate has split a rear rim and and it looking for a cheap replacement. if they stand up on the back of your hard tail around Silvan they'll do just fine on his Kona dually on the same trails. Thanks for your help.

ausdb

Being who he is
Sad to say, but that's surface corrosion on the steel under the paint. The clear finishes can have this happen. BTR discountinued their clear finish because of occurrences like this.

I believe it's partly because the steel is left raw, rather than having a rust inhibitor applied before painting, and partly just that the clears just don't adhere to the metal and seal it as well as a opaque paint with a base colour and clear topcoat.

Surprising it's spread that much already though, it must have a pinhole in the paint. :(
+1
There's a few discussions about this on the mtbr frame building forum, as strange as it sounds the clear coat is still porous.
To get the green the clear coat is tinted just like the top coat of a candy apple finish which is normally applied over a silver metallic intermediate layer.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting. I was bordering on getting a tinted clear like that for my frame but ended up going plain ol' gray. Glad I did now.