MASSIVE THANK YOU Crash at Mt Buller 16th Feb *UPDATED with crash footage*

John U

MTB Precision
How is the healing going?
Like Zaf said, doesn’t look too bad, but that particular type of groan doesn’t lie.
Did you have any back protection on? Looks a bit like the grass has caught you and flipped you around on to your back.
I find those bits of track which drop below the fire trail there pretty sketchy. The surface is slippery. I’d love to know how people ride it fast.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It has taken a while for me to build up the testicular fortitude to download and watch this. Here we are, the crash that broke my spine!

I wish you a speedy recovery, might be a good idea to invest in a dropper post.

I slid a motor bike out off the top of a 3m cliff face years ago and woke up at the bottom, besides losing a lot of skin all I broke was the bones in my left leg but just shows how lucky you can get.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Man shit out of luck there. Looked like some nice soft grass and not too many hard things in the way and as others have said you rolled pretty well. I had a similar off at the Meehan a few years back on a single track to chunky fire trail rock transition when a sapling grabbed my brake handle, and aside from a lot of bark off I was fine. Heal well!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Ommmppph ...that's painful to watch and harder to listen to, looks like you we're lucky not to have collected the stem/bars on the way over as well.

Heal well.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
That groan brings back some ordinary memories.

I shouldn't have watched that, a reminder of how quickly things can go pear shaped won't do the confidence any good.

Good luck with the recovery.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I think its one of those "it's not how fast you are going, it is how fast you stop" things. I suspect if I shot off the side of the berm I would have dramatically cartwheeled down the hill for a few minutes and walked away with a few bruises. Instead I just slammed into the ground like a sack of shit. Interesting that it was just a tiny little washout of the front wheel going into the corner that set things off.

As for the dropper post, the only place I've ridden that was steep enough I actually wanted one was Maydena. I solved that problem by putting the seat down for the day. Old school dropper technology!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah nah, won’t be watchin that bud. Concussions are scary.

I do however wish you a smooth’n’speedy recovery!

slowmick

38-39"
That is a sudden stop. Hope you heal quickly and completely. There's still plenty more trails to ride and you're not finished with copperhead yet. The sections below the road at the start of your video spook me big time - always feels like i am going to go exploring off the side.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think its one of those "it's not how fast you are going, it is how fast you stop" things. I suspect if I shot off the side of the berm I would have dramatically cartwheeled down the hill for a few minutes and walked away with a few bruises. Instead I just slammed into the ground like a sack of shit. Interesting that it was just a tiny little washout of the front wheel going into the corner that set things off.
Pretty much the same for me when I snapped my collarbone. A little front-end slide into small double and I went down like a sack of spuds when the front washed out on landing. Glad I only did the collarbone, I'll call that good luck (especially after seeing your list).

Flow-Rider

Burner
As for the dropper post, the only place I've ridden that was steep enough I actually wanted one was Maydena. I solved that problem by putting the seat down for the day. Old school dropper technology!
The only use isn't for descending steep trails, they lower your centre of gravity which helps you rail corners and can help you regain control if you loose a wheel, it also enables you to freely move about of the bike when you hit rough parts of the trail. When most of your weight is over the front of the bike you have little to no chance of regaining control again.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That corner is always a bit sketchy. If you keep left as you enter/drop into that little section, it is a lot smoother, and also faster.

Wish you a speedy recovery, that fast open road section is one of the last places I would want to bin it up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Oh man I shouldn't have tried to watch with sound on!

I agree on the severity factor though. Looks like you were going fast and basically hit the floor like a sack of potatoes. I'm of the firm belief that supermanning is better than hitting straight floor from an energy dispersion perspective. Last time I hit the floor at 30kph, didn't lose skin and broke 3 bones. At almost 40kph and invoking the velocity square rule, yeah that a bloody huge hit.

Has wife seen the footage? :p

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I deliberately watched that with the sound muted. I think I feel worse hearing serious pain than seeing it.

All the best for the bounce-back mate.

Sorry, shouldn't say "bounce".

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
That wasn't pretty. And even with the sound down...everyone in the room recognised that groan of a person in real trouble. Heal goodly.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yeah, ouch.

You're lucky you're ok.

Completely agree with the dropper comments above. Mine go up and down like a brides nighty. On fast flowy descent, just an inch or so, it makes a world of difference. Screw the weight penalty. Get one.

But more importantly, get better.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I needed a smaller frame (or at least shorter seat tube) for Maydena

Good luck in the recovery, gotta say it's pretty scary how much damage was done from that crash I'm sure I've had worse that I got off much easier!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

Bloody hell that was sobering. Thank you for posting it up mate, couldn't have been easy.
I'm hoping your injuries heal well...but more importantly, your confidence. Don't let The Fear grab hold. Remember it's a total lottery with action sports - you'll have another fall that's faster/bigger/scarier.....and walk away with a graze. Just luck.
I think your comments re "how fast you stop" are spot on.