Mavic 721/Ns hubs. Spokes/Nipples brass or Alum.??

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
thanks guy's!!

So is there a poll on here in regards to which dj fork would be best suited? or should I start one up ?

At this stage, I know I want 20mm axle, but really still no closer to which brand to buy. As you can appreciate its not everyday that you buy new forks let alone splash out $480 on sum..

'Singlespeed' tells me x -fusions, but they only come in 9mm or 15mm axle so they out :02.47-tranquillity: ... dame shame as there only $295 !!!

What about :

RockShox Argyle RC ?

or

marzocchi dirt jumpers? they use to be all the rage.. wot about now ?

These 2 forks are on part with weight and come in at, 2526g and 2249 g for the marzocchi's respectably...

marzocchis claimed weights are usually much lower than what they actually are. my fork was claimed as 2300g. turns out its about 2600.

i have no experience with 2011 marzocchis, but i know that they are nowhere near the quality they were in 2006 when they were still made in Italy.

rockshox forks arent half bad, the RC is relatively simple on the inside, so it should go a while without servicing. personally id go for the rockshox out of those 2, if your budget was bigger then a lowered fox 36 float would dominate.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'Singlespeed' tells me x -fusions, but they only come in 9mm or 15mm axle so they out :02.47-tranquillity: ... dame shame as there only $295 !!!
wrong. x fusion have a 20mm fork, costs a fair bit ($1000ish i think?) and are more of a freeride all mountain fork. but still would go nice on a DJ bike.
i just hate marzocchi forks in general. own a couple of their older ones (06 and 07) they sucked. have no idea what the 2011 ones would be like.
i have rockshox rebas on my DJ bike and they're great, but not for everyone (shit light at 1.7kg). the argyle rc sounds good. also have a look at some pikes.

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
wrong. x fusion have a 20mm fork, costs a fair bit ($1000ish i think?) and are more of a freeride all mountain fork. but still would go nice on a DJ bike.
i just hate marzocchi forks in general. own a couple of their older ones (06 and 07) they sucked. have no idea what the 2011 ones would be like.
i have rockshox rebas on my DJ bike and they're great, but not for everyone (shit light at 1.7kg). the argyle rc sounds good. also have a look at some pikes.
yes ur right yakuza857!!

Just not keen to budget that much !!

maybe should of wrote :

What fork would you recommend I buy for my Dj under $500 .. and also state why, pros/cons etc ??

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
for under 500 definitely go for the argyle if you want a 20mm. also consider lowering it if you like the current geometry of your bike
yea, loving the height at the moment mann, so will be doing the same with the new fork.
Still trying to decide weather to actually go with a sus/fork or just leave the rigid's on.. :decision:
Hoops will be here next week! Went with the mavic 721's front and rear. Once these arrive will need to make up my mind on forks.. As i need to know which front hub to go with either a std.or 20mm axle.. 'fark' decisions :clap2: ahhaha

Will I get lots of flex going with the x fusion route and with running only a std. axle?
Is there a massive deference in 'feel' going with a 20mm?

Use to riding the old BMX bike u know. So I want minimal flex!! But as you stated before, now that im almost hitting 30yo :very_drunk: I do feel the 'old' wrists a lil' more these days...

Last edited:
theres a significant difference between a 10mm and a 20mm. the x fusion will flex more than an argyle because of this and the reduced weight, although it doesnt seem like many people are breaking them so...

yeah its hard for anyone to tell if you need suspension or not, as its mostly what you prefer to ride.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have x-fusion velvet rl 15mm on my am/4x bike. they feel great, super light (1.5kg), feel pretty stiff and not overly expensive ($400-500) i have also done a couple of dh races on them with no problems.

edit: if you dont already have a hub why so set on 20mm?

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get the x fusion in 15mm?? i have a 15mm axle now and it goes good, much lighter, and still allot stiffer then a qr

personaly i would run marzocchi over rockshocks, but thats just because i have never had a pair of rockshocks that i like.

i know rob, i know. haha

the only marzocchis i liked the feel of were 2007 or earlier, my 08 felt good for about a month. rockshox make really nice single crown freeride forks, i havnt ridden one i didnt like, but the argyles are lacking a bit. but for dj you dont need a very sensitive fork as its mostly medium to large impacts and not many rock gardens. too bad you cant swap the internals of a lyrik or something into argyle crown/lowers. id love to have a fork like that.

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
i have x-fusion velvet rl 15mm on my am/4x bike. they feel great, super light (1.5kg), feel pretty stiff and not overly expensive ($400-500) i have also done a couple of dh races on them with no problems.

edit: if you dont already have a hub why so set on 20mm?

I've got my heart set on a pair of NS Rotary hubs in chrome, and they come in either the 9mm or 20mm so that's what i've got stuck in my head.

Or can you get the 20mm to suit a 15mm?? adapters out there anyone? I do have access to CNC machines and all of that but, just for one part not worth the whole exercise or effort.. Unless there's people on here that would be keen to purchase something like this ...

Shiit just had an idea ahhaha:clap2:

what other hubs are out there in a 15mm that you would recommend for a my new wheel build..? "times running out' and I need answers god dame it ahhaha:tape:

well the hope pro 2 can do 15mm. its a fairly solid hub. i have seen a 15mm conversion for the 20mm rotary but it was a custom job. dont remember who it was but it was someone on rotorburn.

but essentially all a front hub is is a flange for the spokes and some bearings inside. theres not much that can go wrong as long as theyre sealed bearings

Last edited:

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah it was the guy who imports NS bikes (ben?) who made the rotary 15mm converstion

i have a hope pro 2 for my front hub with the 15mm forks. they are great because they have converters for 20, 15, 10 and 9mm axels. they use the same body who just choose witch spacing you want.

haltz

Likes Dirt
my only biased is that ive raced mx my whole life and marzocchi are way up there in the best mx suspension market, if they can perfect mx suspension and the beating it cops then mtb suspension has to be a toy to them, in saying that i run fox 40s on my dh bike and love them but ive never looked into if they even have a good dj fork, same story though they used to kill it in mx suspension.

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
well the hope pro 2 can do 15mm. its a fairly solid hub. i have seen a 15mm conversion for the 20mm rotary but it was a custom job. dont remember who it was but it was someone on rotorburn.

but essentially all a front hub is is a flange for the spokes and some bearings inside. theres not much that can go wrong as long as theyre sealed bearings
yea just checked the Hope's out not too bad of a price just color's suck for the look im going for hahahha, i know i know should be all about the quality not the look but chrome is what im after !!

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
my only biased is that ive raced mx my whole life and marzocchi are way up there in the best mx suspension market, if they can perfect mx suspension and the beating it cops then mtb suspension has to be a toy to them, in saying that i run fox 40s on my dh bike and love them but ive never looked into if they even have a good dj fork, same story though they used to kill it in mx suspension.
yeah and between the rockshox and Marzocchi's not much in terms of price maybe 5-$10 is all that's in it, and both I can run the 20mm's (NS)...

I've seen more and more peeps running with rockshox? are they better than Marzocchi's ? has anyone got the 2011 marz?? and Argyle 2011's ?

please do tell ur experiences either or...

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
guy at bike addiction in sydneys northern beaches does conversions from 20mm to 15mm set you back roughly $100 (my last hub was $90)

put it this way, marzocchi used to be heaps heavier then any other fork, but also heaps stronger and plusher, then they went shit for a few years (i only owned one set of marzocchi in that time and they died in less then two months of minimal use) apperently they have picked up there game again but i think most people are pretty skeptical now, the new stuff does look like it will be good, if you went marzocchi dont get anything below a dj2, the dj3s and dirt jams are CRAP. go with whatever looks good haha, i really like the look of (most) marzocchi forks over rockshox, but fox is where its at for me nowdays. lighter, stronger? and just all around amazinger then everything else.

rob, i fail to see how you felt flex in your forks... compared to what? ridgeds? fox40s? any flex you felt would have been from your frame.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
guy at bike addiction in sydneys northern beaches does conversions from 20mm to 15mm set you back roughly $100 (my last hub was $90)

put it this way, marzocchi used to be heaps heavier then any other fork, but also heaps stronger and plusher, then they went shit for a few years (i only owned one set of marzocchi in that time and they died in less then two months of minimal use) apperently they have picked up there game again but i think most people are pretty skeptical now, the new stuff does look like it will be good, if you went marzocchi dont get anything below a dj2, the dj3s and dirt jams are CRAP. go with whatever looks good haha, i really like the look of (most) marzocchi forks over rockshox, but fox is where its at for me nowdays. lighter, stronger? and just all around amazinger then everything else.

rob, i fail to see how you felt flex in your forks... compared to what? ridgeds? fox40s? any flex you felt would have been from your frame.

over/under rotating spins is where i felt it the most (i know the chainstays flexed quite a bit, but its easy to tell if the flex is coming from the back end or the front). i also heard creaking when i did footjams, and i dont see how the frame would have anything to do with that. i checked for any cracks around the arch and i didnt see any. my headset didnt have any play in it either and was definitely not over tightened.

Last edited:

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
mmmm, I get the feeling that the new marzocchi's might have to be given a miss...

Rockshox, everyone seems to have only good thing to say.. well out of you too ahhaha:biggrin:

Ok, so here's another one for you guy's, 36h rims or 32h ?

I can get either 36 or 32h hubs, my thoughts are the 36h would be a stronger wheel-set ?? or ..