Maxxis DTH tyres

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Love DTH's. Been riding them for the last year and a bit. These are 2.3 Tan Walls, OEM only, look massive on 729 rims.

Would run Larsen TT's if it's anything other than hardpack.

Peter650

Likes Dirt
Thats the pay off of light tyres. I fed up the sidewall of a moto digger but it didn't weight as much as a full on D Hill tyre . Sorry drunk as hope some of that makes some sort of seance

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thats the pay off of light tyres. I fed up the sidewall of a moto digger but it didn't weight as much as a full on D Hill tyre . Sorry drunk as hope some of that makes some sort of seance
Nope.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Has anyone tried DTH tubeless?

Thinking of throwing them on my commuter for a change
Set the DTH up toobless today.

Bear tape, Stan's sealant and valves, Stan's Flow ZTR rims.

You'll most likely need a compressor. I had to remove the valve cores, as I could not get the air in fast enough to seat them without doing it. The flexy sidewalls make the beads suck into the centre channel.

Aired them up sans Stan's and they held air for about 2 hours. Took the cores out again, added 60ml goo, then aired them up to about 50psi. Got a speck of sealant at a couple of the radial ridges that are around the bead guide, but stopped in about 10 seconds.

Will update tomorrow, when I see how well they keep air.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Nice, keen to know how it goes. Mainly if the sidewalls hold the sealant and don't leak like a sieve. Sounds promising though.

I have a compressor so no dramas there. Have been running a tubeless setup on some old non tubeless wheels with gorilla tape on my commuter for years. With no dramas - you just cant let all the air out of the tyre as the beads dont stay seated and fall into the channel. Its no problems when pumped up all the time.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
How many PSI are you looking at running in them Knuckles? I have Holy Rollers and have been thinking about going tubeless, but would still want to run a fair bit of air in them for commuting.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Nice, keen to know how it goes. Mainly if the sidewalls hold the sealant and don't leak like a sieve. Sounds promising though.

I have a compressor so no dramas there. Have been running a tubeless setup on some old non tubeless wheels with gorilla tape on my commuter for years. With no dramas - you just cant let all the air out of the tyre as the beads dont stay seated and fall into the channel. Its no problems when pumped up all the time.
Yeah, the sidewalls were my big concern, but they look to be nice and solid. TBH the only maxxis tyres I've had weep through the sidewalls were a couple of 42a high rollers, years ago,which weeped straight away, but eventually sealed.
How many PSI are you looking at running in them Knuckles? I have Holy Rollers and have been thinking about going tubeless, but would still want to run a fair bit of air in them for commuting.
They're going on the wife's bike for now, so will see bike path duty for the first couple of weeks. After that going on the DJ bike, which is actually more of a bmx/pump track bike, so I'll keep them around the 60 mark for the missus, then drop to around 45-50psi for me. While solid, the sidewalls are very flexy, so I don't think they'll hold the bead to well, if at all, under 45.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Still holding steady.

Appear to be tooblessable, with little faff*.

*Unless you are Jarrod.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Thanks Knuckles for guinea pigging!

I also couldn't bead the tyres without removing the valve core.

Result with 2.15s: