Maxxis - is this normal?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just tried and couldn't make them split. They are very flexy though. On that tyre but on the other side one knob has a couple of nicks out of it but that is all. I find it too hard to believe that both sides should be so different. These were Maxx Grip and I tried a brand new Max Terra on the same trails over the weekend and there are no marks whatsoever on them.
Maybe they're just too soft for the sort of riding you do. I normally run the maxterra 3c and it takes a few months of riding before they start to split.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe they're just too soft for the sort of riding you do. I normally run the maxterra 3c and it takes a few months of riding before they start to split.
Possibly. But I can't imagine they would be any good for more than 1 downhill run for anyone else.
Pushys got back to me and said based on my answers it's possibly is warranty and that they will check with the supplier.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah, nah. Not normal at all for that to happen. The maxxgrip I’ve run is soft, but not lose 11 knobs in one chill ride soft. And not in the one spot like that.

Keep on pushies, it’s a warranty for sure.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What a bunch of dicks. This is the second "not our problem" from this retailer in a week. If this problem had occurred with most overseas retailers I've had any product issues with you would already have a refund or replacement on the way. Assuming that the rest of the tyre isn't showing signs of wear and tear that indicated heavy use and so on. Of this really is as you've stated how they can try and fob you off lime that is piss weak.

Good luck and don't let them fuck you around. Your resolution lies with them, not the distributor.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The thing you should put forwards to them is that the side wall has no marks or scuffing near the missing knobs. It doesn't look like it's been ridden through rough rock gardens.
What a bunch of dicks. This is the second "not our problem" from this retailer in a week. If this problem had occurred with most overseas retailers I've had any product issues with you would already have a refund or replacement on the way. Assuming that the rest of the tyre isn't showing signs of wear and tear that indicated heavy use and so on. Of this really is as you've stated how they can try and fob you off lime that is piss weak.

Good luck and don't let them fuck you around. Your resolution lies with them, not the distributor.
That's why I posted on the other the other thread, they're generally a good company to deal with but it depends on who you get for the warranty sometimes..

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thing you should put forwards to them is that the side wall has no marks or scuffing near the missing knobs. It doesn't look like it's been ridden through rough rock gardens.

That's why I posted on the other the other thread, they're generally a good company to deal with but it depends on who you get for the warranty sometimes..
Yeh I sent him a picture of it. The guy who emailed me back was pretty nice about it. He apologised, asked a couple of questions, and said his understanding was that it wasnt covered by warranty. I didnt think it was him just denying it but felt that its more about Maxxis' policy. After I answered his questions and gave a bit more info he did change his mind and sent the info through to the supplier and should be able to let me know what the outcome is tomorrow.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeh I sent him a picture of it. The guy who emailed me back was pretty nice about it. He apologised, asked a couple of questions, and said his understanding was that it wasnt covered by warranty. I didnt think it was him just denying it but felt that its more about Maxxis' policy. After I answered his questions and gave a bit more info he did change his mind and sent the info through to the supplier and should be able to let me know what the outcome is tomorrow.
It's like poodles says, in Australia the retailer needs to give warranty by law. It's not like the tyre needs to be sent somewhere to be repaired, even if Maxxis doesn't want to give them warranty and you can prove the tyre is faulty they need to replace it out of their own pocket.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What! Surely this is a Chinese copy or... worst still... A Schwalbe tyre that someone has painted Maxxis branding onto! Maxxis tyres just don't do that! ;););)

Ultra Lord

maxxis loses its side knobs, it's a warranty job.

Schwalbe loses side knobs, it's just schwalbe, hope you enjoyed those two corners.

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update time:
Pushy's apologised again and said they still havent heard back from the supplier but will sort it out anyway and sent through a return slip. As soon as I have a sent a receipt from the post office they will send out a new one.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Ha! Like that tyre is worth anything to you anyway. Just send the damn replacement!
I’ve had two wonky tires lately. One from MTB direct and one from cycling deal.
Neither made a fuss and sent out a replacement quick smart and didn’t want the old one back.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New tyre is here and installed. All up replacement in a week is pretty good.

Has to be the worlds hardest tyre to install though so hopefully dont have to do it again for a while.

Ultra Lord

Baby steps mate. Were getting there!

I just had cyclinic fix a fault in my 36’s that occured when I had then lowered elsewhere, for no extra charge, and a week turnaround (from syd to somewhere in queensland mind you).

Edit: I sent then fork up for a service, and they found the dodgy work and told me about it. It seemed abit unclear when I re-read my message.

Last edited:

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I bought a road tyre from my local shop (who give me some support/minor sponsorship in a way so I won't name) and had it completely to the canvas all around in under 2000km. The rubber was literally peeling off. I usually get 4-5000km from the continental tyres I normally run.
I took the bike in while on a ride and asked if it was usual wear and they said they've never seen it and if I pull the tyre off they'll try for warranty refund........... Never heard back about it, when I asked they just said that 2000km from a tyre is a good run - they never even tried to get warranty. I mentioned that I get up to 5000km from different tyres but nothing came of it. I let it go and still shop there but usually buy tyres online now....

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I bought a road tyre from my local shop (who give me some support/minor sponsorship in a way so I won't name) and had it completely to the canvas all around in under 2000km. The rubber was literally peeling off. I usually get 4-5000km from the continental tyres I normally run.
I took the bike in while on a ride and asked if it was usual wear and they said they've never seen it and if I pull the tyre off they'll try for warranty refund........... Never heard back about it, when I asked they just said that 2000km from a tyre is a good run - they never even tried to get warranty. I mentioned that I get up to 5000km from different tyres but nothing came of it. I let it go and still shop there but usually buy tyres online now....
Was it a gp4000?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Was it a gp4000?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
GP4000 is what I usually run and get 4-5kkm out of. For less than $60 I rate them and run the reflective strip because a lot of my road riding is once the family go to bed.
This one was definitely not a Continental tyre and cost more.