Menai (Lucas Heights) Closed to the Public

raintonr

Likes Bikes
Over on NoBMoB we're getting reports of Menai (aka Lucas Heights) being completely closed off to the public.

See: http://nobmob.com/node/22504

"Please note that Menai (Lucas Heights) is now officially off limits to MTB's. Today (Sunday 3 July 2011) I drove down to ride there at 7:30 in the morning to find signs had been erected at all points of entry (see images of signs). MTB's, Moto's and 4WD's are banned and presumably walkers too although the signs don't specifically say so for walkers, you will likely be trespassing if you do walk. There is a $1,000 fine and the Feds are patrolling. They turned up and warned all the other riders who had turned up for their Sunday ride that they will fine if you enter. I saw a 4WD Fed mobile drive into the fire trail so they are on the watch."

raintonr

Likes Bikes
ANSTO/Rider Meeting (Re: Menai Closure)

Having spent all day chasing the matter, Steve Mowle has managed to convince the ANSTO management to meet with Mountain Bike riders to discuss the use of Menai. This is an outstanding achievement.

Correction: Sorry folks - this is not a public meeting. Those who go will be sure to report back though!

Last edited:

pliskin

Likes Dirt
I'm curious to exactly what part of the menai area is off limits. as far as i had been informed, the free-ride area that is behind the sporting area on New Illawarra road , is sitting on Aboriginal land. there are about 5 different land owners for the surrounding area .
Im not too sure but the techicallity may be to get to the Aboriginal land area, you have to use the other landowners property.

raintonr

Likes Bikes
Sorry folks - someone jumped the gun a bit.

There is a meeting with ANSTO but it is not public. Please do not show up!

Boss Hogg

Cannon Fodder
G'day Rotorburn'ers,
I'm a local down here at Menai and i'm keen to see my favourite local ride continue to be available.

I've setup a Facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mountainbikersformenai/251178641563171

If you jump on and "like" the page and/or post a comment for the cause that would be great. I'm hoping if we can get a few hundred supporters quickly and some positive comments, it will provide good ammo for the gents who are off to the meeting later in the week.

Spread the word, brutha's!

dunndog

Eats Squid
"Liked". Never been, don't need to. A bro in need is a bro indeed. Good luck to you lot, this truly is shite.

natsterrr

Cannon Fodder
If you look further in, they have erected another sign for "the Blue Track", which states that it is for walkers only, and that maps and info is available from the ANSTO office and website.

http://www.ansto.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/43994/The_Blue_track.pdf

With this in mind, it seems to me that they want mountain bikers out because of public liability in the event that they hurt themself or others (walkers) on the trails. Australia continues to over-regulate everything!

If they made a 'license' or 'registration' for mountain bikers which included an insurance premium for ourselves and 3rd parties (which would surely be far less than any vehicle policy), then they just need to be enforcing this, and not handing out fines to responsible riders who want to enjoy our bushland.

dominator

Likes Dirt
If you look further in, they have erected another sign for "the Blue Track", which states that it is for walkers only, and that maps and info is available from the ANSTO office and website.

http://www.ansto.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/43994/The_Blue_track.pdf

With this in mind, it seems to me that they want mountain bikers out because of public liability in the event that they hurt themself or others (walkers) on the trails. Australia continues to over-regulate everything!

If they made a 'license' or 'registration' for mountain bikers which included an insurance premium for ourselves and 3rd parties (which would surely be far less than any vehicle policy), then they just need to be enforcing this, and not handing out fines to responsible riders who want to enjoy our bushland.
Well said! I also think we need a stronger voice in the local government as a biking 'community' rather then a possible danger to bushland/forest or others using it.

It would be great if the people responsible for putting these signs up (not mentioning any names) were able to concentrate on the positives of Mountain Biking rather than the negatives of what could happen..

I'm personally sick of Fun Police in Oz!!

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are Whities the only ones allowed to develop land ... private land at that.
Bigger picture Alan.

They took as much of that land as possible back from the federal goverment in the late 70's, early 80's saying it shouldn't ever be developed as it has sacred values to their beleifs.

Then 30 years on (after a number of attempts), they decide that clearing and developing it is ok?

Sort of a double standard. I am happy they own it, and that (they chose) to leave it bush for so long... It benefited me and hundreds of others in their various activities...

I just don't understand how they can backflip on the idea that got them the land in the first place... Unless it was a blatent lie to begin with, with this money making motive.

The old quarry has been developed, under the strict rules the Gandagara people enforced. To say the least, it was a huge money making excercise, and nothing else.

People were forced to erect wood, and only wood fences in an area that is prone to bushfires every 4 years. These rules go against the sutherland shire rules but are allowed in this circumstance?

I could go on and on. But you probably stopped processing information at the second sentance.

Love you.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just don't understand how they can backflip on the idea that got them the land in the first place... Unless it was a blatent lie to begin with, with this money making motive.
It's possible that they've seen such a degradation in the land that the cultural significance has been damaged too much. They could just be changing with the times, possibly due to a change in the Council members and their involvement in the aboriginal community, and have decided that their priority at this time is to develop the land to make some money.

The Council rep in the article says it is a money making exercise, but I think it's a bit harsh to say that 30 or so years ago they outright lied so they could wait 30 years and make some money.:)

zombi

Likes Bikes
Knew it

WTF?

Mountain biking aside, that land is incredibly beautiful, the gullies, the vegetation and wildlife are beautiful there.
This is soo dissappointing. Look at the fill of the sports complex and the mcmansions down the road. They are going to fill it all in and destroy the whole place.
Sacred spot my arse, nothing sacred about for them. Show me the money,
tragedy. Would have been better off with a toxic spill than that.

JBR

Likes Dirt
If you read the whole thing there is 500 of the 800 set aside for a reserve, whatever that entails.

It may appear as a money grab up front, but the phrase below indicates to me there is some effort towards employing indigenous persons which shows it is not just that. 10% of 15,000 is 1500 jobs.

"During the development phase, about 300 indigenous people will be employed on the project and, when complete, Mr Johnson hopes Aboriginal staff will comprise 10 per cent of the workforce, from senior management to park guides. "

They also state that they are funding development

"The project alone will involve $100 million of Gandangara's own funds for investment in infrastructure such as bridges and roads. "

Can anyone shed light on this below?
"The housing is likely to be a mix of freehold, community title and social housing"

I am not very knowledgable in this area so I cant really say anymore.

nickz

Likes Dirt
Nothing more than a sellout.

This whole "culturally significant" angle, for this patch of land on the fringe of Sydney is and was a load of rubbish. First and foremost this is prime land, worth a packet. Some people on board of this land council will no doubt be very wealthy as a result of this construction, where the majority of other indigenous will gain nothing. The part that will be left as bushland will no doubt be either unstable, or too costly to build on, being so steep in areas. To bring any racial elements into this is just a distraction. This may be private land, but to claim land under the guise that it is culturally significant, and then dig it all up to build is a bit much. It would be one thing if profits from this will directly benefit all land owners equally, but that will never happen. It will be interesting to see where the profits from this development end up, and what tangible benefit it will bring to the greater indigenous community in this part of Sydney. I'm thinking the few running the show will get richer, while the others get nothing. If they gave a shit about "the land", they would do what elders in the NT recently did when faced with repeated applications to mine Uranium and stood to make tens of millions, they gave the land to the National Parks, to be absorbed into Kakadu NP, never to be developed or mined, they gained nothing financially, but were so happy to know the land would be remain untouched. That in my opinion is a group of land owners who care about their land.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
So ... my Mom bought her house 40 years ago ... she loved her house, but gave it to me or at least I now have legal custody of it ... no, I actually own it as private property. I now want to bulldoze the puppy because quite franking 70s Arte decor is not my bag and its very run down and damaged. Now 80% of the neighbourhood is dilapidated and quite run down, weed infested and otherwise damaged by bushfire or other shizz that people dump.

20% has been maintained over the years and although beautiful is far from pristine or of original quality, mainly due to seepage of god knows what from the mega tip and other legal and illegal dump sites scattered throughout the neighbourhood. Further that streets are amok with hoons on Motos and 4WD pretty much churning the creek beds, pulverising rock formations and dig massive mud pits which only breeds mozzies and collects the seepage previously mentioned.

Soooo, in constructing my new abode I would like to build as modern and ecologically sustainable a facility as I can afford. Construction will also employ some brothers that are GFC affected like myself. I'll also allocate space for a child care facility and god knows what else society might want in the next 25 years. Might even allow a pump track for those kids that have been so respectful and occasionally helped with my lawn care.

My proposal doesn't quite fit in with Rednecks Home Beautiful, but I like it and so do many others that I might inspire into following my lead, I might even make some money out of this when I sell it, feed my kids, educate them, and teach them about my cultural values and give them a leg up maybe.

All paraphrasing of course and potentially way off mark, but the key is ... its private land ... and a large chunk will be used for conservation, the owners are stumping up their own cash to provide PUBLIC infrastructure, and it provides solutions to a number of issues impacting Sydney ... and hell Mountain bikers might actually win access to a part of it ... frig maybe even some Gravity oriented trails that are few and far between, but miraculously fits in with the lands that can not be developed or chosen for conservation or whatever reason.

Lets ignore all that and instead publicly bag the Land OWNERS that a small number of people have put up their hand to try to work with and show due respect. Stupidly holding to some far flung hope of maybe being able to gain something from what otherwise could be a full lock out.

But thats OK, vent your spleen Doods ... hell we know it is a public form and media have already quoted from it ... but pffft ... let it all out

FR_MANIAC

Likes Dirt
Your right Nerf...I've actually met Mr Johnson while out DH'ing out on their land.He was a very approachable man and seemed genuinely interested in my views on whats happening out there.I'm sure if we keep cool and try to work together with these groups we might even get some legal trails out of the deal....Thanks again to all who are working on this for us.....Cheers:)

Last edited: