Menai (Lucas Heights) Closed to the Public

nickz

Likes Dirt
I'm all for working with the powers that be to gain access to whichever areas are not viable for them to develop, it would be an amazing win for Sydney MTB. A 40 year old house, and land which the use and ownership of which dates back tens of thousands of years to a large group of people is a bad example, and can't compare to Aboriginals who have a long and proud history of living on the land. I understand what private land is, and I also understand that the outcomes which the landowners want from their land has also changed over the years. At the end of the day I fully support Steve and co in their efforts. I've met Steve and he is a very focused guy who loves his riding, and I'm glad he is leading this effort.

Steve Mowle

Likes Bikes
Update on the closure of the Menai MTB trails

RE: Update on the closure of the Menai MTB trails
After our first meeting with reps from ANSTO, the Australian Federal Police, Sutherland Shire Council, local Police, the CEO of the Gandangara Local Aboriginal Land Council and some local community members, we have been making some positive steps forward.
Our first goals were to:
• Identify and map where the boundaries lie between the many different land owners.
• Begin consultation with different the land owners.
• Identify which trail segments are within each land title (including XC, AM & DH trails).
• Identifykey trail segments and points of interest including technical terrain features.
• Liaise with local residents about bushcare, rehabilitation and potential user conflict.
So far these goals have been completed successfully.
By accessing maps from the SSC, then using GPS created maps of our preferred trails, we have identified that most of the trails MTBers currently use fall on 3 main land owners:
1. ANSTO
2. The Sutherland Shire Council
3. The Gandangara Local Aboriginal Land Council
We are currently in communication with these three main land owners to look at the issues of reducing environmental damage; public liability and signage; and the processes involved with developing a system whereby MTBers can share the trails with walkers, minimising user conflict.
Once these issues have been addressed, we hope to have the reinforcement of trespassing on these areas of land lifted.
In the meantime, I once again strongly recommend all MTBers avoid riding these trails and do not attempt to voice opinion or concerns by way of protests.
Any MTBers who would like to share thoughts/recommendations can send them to Gavin Atkins at this email address: gat@ansto.gov.au
Steve Mowle matchpnt@bigpond.net.au

Cypher

Likes Dirt
If I wanted to help with trail maintenance, should I join Sutherland Shire Cycle Club? Will they be the ones to organise?

Cheers and great job!

Steve Mowle

Likes Bikes
Menai update

At this stage it is yet to be decided which body will be given the job of co-ordinating the trail maintenance program, or any future trail design and build projects. After speaking with several people today about this issue, including a Sutherland Shire Council Rep, there are several options: Using an existing club, such as the Sutherland Shire Cycle Club is one option; forming a new club seems to be a very popular option (names have already been tossed about); or SSC may decide to form a body themselves. Keep you informed as in transcribes...
Steve Mowle

Steve Mowle

Likes Bikes
Update on the Menai MTB trails

Following our last meeting earlier this month, with reps from the Sutherland Shire Council and ANSTO, we are continuing to make positive steps towards the establishment of a MTB park as part of the development in the Menai area.

Latest updates:
• We have successfully mapped the most ridden and popular trails, including fire trail and singletrack.
• The ‘walking tracks’ within ANSTO land have been excluded from any proposed riding trails.
• We have made proposals for new sections of trails to be added, providing us with access from the entry points and carpark to existing singletrack, to help avoid established walking tracks.
• We are attempting to propose trails which will accommodate all forms of MTBing, including XC, AM and DH.
• We have discussed a financial grant coming via the SSC to help with trail signage; club establishment; website set-up; and the initial design, build and maintenance of the trails.
• We have proposed a number of options for the ongoing maintenance of the trails including volunteer days.
• We have provided SSC with figures showing the number and demographic of riders using the Menai trails before closure, as well as attempting to determine the numbers of riders that will visit the area when a MTB park is established.

We have scheduled another meeting for later this month with reps from The Sutherland Shire Council, ANSTO and the Gandangara Local Aboriginal Land Council. Matters of particular concern will be: the location of the preferred and proposed trails; the issue of public liability; exactly how and where a financial grant will be spent; the process involved with the regeneration of damaged areas (by motorised vehicles); and methods to continue to reduce environmental impact.

In the meantime, I once again strongly recommend all MTBers avoid riding these trails.

A survey / poll has been set up on rotorburn.com to continue to determine rider numbers on the trails. I encourage all riders who have ridden Menai to take part. To all riders keen to get back on a bike at Menai, we appreciate your patience.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Great work. Really hope this gets off the ground. National park trails are pretty lame. Would be happy to help with any working bee's.

Steve, you are doing great work here. It's good to see that things are moving along. I was afraid it would be bogged down in beuracracy considering there are so many different land owners, and stakeholders.

Luke_Donno

Likes Bikes
Keep it up!!

You guys are doing great work. How long do you think it will be until there is some trail refurbishment and construction? I live 10 mins drive away so I'll be more than happy to help.

Steve Mowle

Likes Bikes
Menai update - Sep 2011

RE: Menai MTB Park - Update September 2011.

Our most recent meeting to discuss the Menai MTB Park Proposal went ahead late August. There to continue discussions with the MTB community were reps from ANSTO, the Sutherland Shire Council, the CEO of the Gandangara Local Aboriginal Land Council, a rep for the local Motor Cross riders and reps from the bushwalking community. Once again, it was overall a success and great that all major groups had the chance to voice their opinions on all matters raised.

Following the meeting, it is clear that our next steps are to address the following main issues:

1. The public liability associated with MTBers participating in a dangerous recreational activity on private land.
2. The Policing of the MTB Park. Whether self Policing from MTBers would suffice, or would more patrolled policing be required, such as SSC staff and Australian Federal Police.
3. To have the MTB Park Proposal fit into the proposed ‘Conservation Park’ as part of the overall GLALC Development Proposal for Menai Ridge.
4. Continued trail rationalisation to reduce existing trail network from the current 68km to 37km, leaving 7km of existing walking trails and leading to 31km of trail closures and rehabilitation. Examine the consequences of shared access trails for walkers and riders.
5. The appropriate design, construction, signage and maintenance of existing and new singletrack network, in line with the International Mountain Bike Association guidelines. Catering for all levels of rider abilities and riding styles.
6. To establish a Memorandum of Understanding, to outline the required roles and responsibilities of the concerned parties; outline how Grant Funding will be spent; and to formally develop the Menai MTB Park project plan.

In the meantime, we appreciate riders’ patience and I once again strongly recommend all MTBers avoid riding these trails while we continue to make positive progress to create a dedicated MTB facility in the area.

higgin_d

Likes Dirt
Well done Steve,

It is an important debate, that could have gone the wrong way. However with sensible heads, you guys seem to be making the necessary progress to what will be a significant outcome to the mtb community locally and further abroad.

Thanks for your update....

Good Stuff

A lot of weekend bushbashers watching with much anticipation on this outcome. The updates have been great & you guys are handling the whole matter with much professionalism. Many Many people are most greatful for the mammoth effort you guys have put in.
Thanks again

Last edited:

PERREN

Squid
Quick Menai Update

Just a quick update.

Happy times not to far away.

Since our last meeting where we proposed a 37km sustainable MTB trail network with all land owners two major players have been working super hard on Trail sustainability studies, Alternate trail routing, Signage and trail allocation.

The others items that still need serious attention in reguards to Funding, Policing the area to unlawfull users and illegal trail building..

We have another Meeting on the program to discuss drafted trail signage and trail grading / directions.

This is a great step for our MTB Community so once again thank you for staying outa the Menai Mtb trail network until we are given the go ahead. The land owners respect our passion on this matter and are greatful for our co-operation.

Stay tuned

Pez

deadbudgy

Likes Bikes
Sounds like things are going well. Are the planned trails new or already existing? Do you think there will be much building allowed?