mid travel 29er suggestions

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Sooo, it seems a few 'burners are in a Bike buying frame of mind ?
That's the default status for me.

If I was genuinely looking atm (and riding enough to actually warrant a new bike) I'd be seriously looking at:

• new Transition Sentinel
  • waiting for the Forbidden 150mm LT thingy (apparently due in February)
  • rolling the dice and getting a Guerrilla Gravity (they are a fair bit cheaper than the opposition, and their manufacturing ethos is very cool)

All three fit the mid travel 29er spec(ish). Otherwise just get a Ripmo.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
White bread or not the Trance X Adv 29 looks like a great bike.
oh , i agree !
One of the ( if not the largest manufacturers in the world ) Back up is great , components great - Geo is modern .

yes , a super choice .

@Asininedrivel - Ripmo is a consideration - they seem to be well loved by other burners .

i dunno if i ride enough - there are some huge yearly numbers by some riders on here !
i just like riding and exploring .

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Trance X is a good allrounder - I'd say it would be similar to a Ripmo in that it's very much a trail bike, rather than a plow machine

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The Trance X is a good allrounder - I'd say it would be similar to a Ripmo in that it's very much a trail bike, rather than a plow machine
Plus now that Giant designers no longer have taking LSD as one of their KPIs their bikes are available in something other than early 90s hypercolour t shirt and sans GIANT written on their frames 67 times.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Re the customer service, meh. Statutory warranties and guarantees my friend. The LBS you buy it from is on the hook for managing your issues with the bike.
Haha not having a dig at you for buying your bike from Summit, just taking the piss. But their customer service is shit in my experience, and for a shop that sells only high-end gear (and is certainly not known for their competitive pricing), I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that they'd go out of their way to help with niggles etc, much less go in to bat for me in a contested warranty situation.

Anyway that's just me, and this is a thread about bikes not bike shops, but if I'm spending thousands on a bike I want to spend them at the right place too.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
But their customer service is shit in my experience, and for a shop that sells only high-end gear (and is certainly not known for their competitive pricing), I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that they'd go out of their way to help with niggles etc, much less go in to bat for me in a contested warranty situation.
It's a shame you've had such a crap experience. Mine's been the opposite, niggles sorted quickly and I've absolute confidence if something was to go wrong with either bike I've bought from them it'll get resolved with minimal drama. Most recently they noticed the bearings in my hubs were in need of replacement and sourced some free of charge from the distributor due to what they considered premature wear.

Anyway as you say this is about bikes not bike shops so I'll shut up now.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Haha not having a dig at you for buying your bike from Summit, just taking the piss. But their customer service is shit in my experience, and for a shop that sells only high-end gear (and is certainly not known for their competitive pricing), I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that they'd go out of their way to help with niggles etc, much less go in to bat for me in a contested warranty situation.

Anyway that's just me, and this is a thread about bikes not bike shops, but if I'm spending thousands on a bike I want to spend them at the right place too.
Wasn't taking it as a dig, i assumed you meant the Yeti customer service. I understand that its been inconsistent over the years. My comment suggested that despite Yeti CS, i would be leaning on the LBS, as they are the ones on the hook under consumer law.

Re Summit customer service, I cant comment as its been good so far. But then again I've not had a problem with the bike.

I don't take a default position of expecting good customer service anywhere. I've learned over the years that knowing what your rights are as a consumer tends to eventually get the right response. Albeit sometimes way too long after the issue has occurred. Though in that same experience, the longer the issue goes on for, the greater the compensation can be expected.

I'll give you an example - Years ago I had an exploding Samsung phone. On my way to return it for a replacement, I dropped it and smashed the screen. Telstra refused to warranty the phone because I'd smashed the screen. They told me I had to get the screen repaired before they'd look at the warranty claim.

Some eagle eyed observers will right here spot how stupid this notion is. For those less eagle eyed, statutory guarantees and warranties cant have conditions placed on them. The product was faulty, dangerously so before any damage was made to the phone. By Telstra attempting to place the condition of fixing the screen before assessing the warranty, they were breaking consumer law.

This fight took maybe 4 months and a complaint to the TIO, but i eventually dealt with someone at Telstra that knew what i was talking about and they were so apologetic, not only did i get a replacement phone, it was an outright, free of charge newest apple iphone and $500 credit on my account. I wasn't without phone either during the time as Telstra gave me a loaner while we argued, which they never asked for back either.

I've dealt with shitty customer service hundreds of times, and its not often i don't come out on top. Its a pain, but im passionate about not getting taken advantage of.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I saw that pop up today. I’ve found a few reviews on the Titan but not much on the Prime. Don’t know why Banshee don’t donate bikes to magazines or larger websites for review.
The Prime especially seems to be a ghost on review sites, often mentioned as a "also released at the same time", but rarely ridden and reviewed. (At least last time I looked...)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The Prime especially seems to be a ghost on review sites, often mentioned as a "also released at the same time", but rarely ridden and reviewed. (At least last time I looked...)
Weird because the first generation Prime (2013?) was reviewed everywhere. Still remember how its (then) 130mm travel was considered "huge" for a 29er back then.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Weird because the first generation Prime (2013?) was reviewed everywhere. Still remember how its (then) 130mm travel was considered "huge" for a 29er back then.
Allow me to be clearer, I was looking for reviews of the V2 Prime. A quick google of that shows one review from bicycling.com and describes the test period as a "too-short morning". What a broad scope of information - take my money!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Allow me to be clearer, I was looking for reviews of the V2 Prime. A quick google of that shows one review from bicycling.com and describes the test period as a "too-short morning". What a broad scope of information - take my money!
No no I was agreeing with you. I haven't seen a single review of the V2 version. Seems to have been overshadowed by the Titan a bit.

Coming to think of it I haven't seen any reviews or info on the latest Rune either.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Prime / Phantom much less talked about than their 27.5 offerings.. which is weird since now these 2 bikes are right amongst what's popular (short-mid 29ers).

Has anyone used a 140mm fork with a Prime? I'd be looking at a more trail focused build and I could use my existing fork. Its technically possible, but haven't seen anyone go for that option.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm loving my trance X 2.
Does anyone actually know sales numbers?
It feels like there are heaps of new norco's and scotts around at the moment. I really haven't seen as many trance x's as I expected.
Reckon it's probably more of a supply thing, rather than a particular preference.

Mate went into a shop yesterday to buy your exact bike, no new stock available for 6 months.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Prime / Phantom much less talked about than their 27.5 offerings.. which is weird since now these 2 bikes are right amongst what's popular (short-mid 29ers).

Has anyone used a 140mm fork with a Prime? I'd be looking at a more trail focused build and I could use my existing fork. Its technically possible, but haven't seen anyone go for that option.
I have used Manitou Mezzers at 140mm in Low for over 6 months on my Prime and just raised the Mezzers to 150mm with dropouts now in High for a few weeks.

At 140mm the bike rides great as an all rounder. STA is still very comfortable and it is still nimble in the tight.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
sounds good - just want something a touch more capable than a Smuggler, but still efficient and engaging on cruisey trails.

edit: when I say capable, perhaps I mean forgiving, I'm sure the smuggler is very capable in the right hands haha

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
sounds good - just want something a touch more capable than a Smuggler, but still efficient and engaging on cruisey trails.

edit: when I say capable, perhaps I mean forgiving, I'm sure the smuggler is very capable in the right hands haha
If it’s anything like my spitty vs my scout, it isn’t more “forgiving”. Pedals better and doesn’t bottom out as much but small bump is worse so overall comfort is less. That’s monarch to monarch comparison.
Last model spitty before they moved to the latest design. I imagine the change to bearings instead of bushes driving the shock will help that on the new frames though.