Mont 24 advice

Ackland

chats d'élevage
if I'm approaching at twice your speed and I can see a spot off the trail ahead, I just let them know to stay on track I'm going past on the right/ left, then Thankyou . People who have little experience, and no knowledge of how competent or not the rider is behind can give bum advice on when to pass. It's often easier IMO for the person behind to make that decision, let the person know what that decision is, then thank them on the way past - successfully done, both riders don't have to slow, and if it goes tits up, it's the passing rider who should end up in the weeds ( me at least a couple of times bunny hopping logs, rocks clipping trees etc).
THIS! At EVERY RACE!

I know that there are a few races within the race going on and there are the "just have some fun" crew, mixed with the "I think I'm fast but not" and "mates invited me cause I'm fit roadies" but there are also the genuinely quick guys. For these guys, waiting 20s behind someone can mean the difference between taking the overall win and losing the lead they just fought 6 hrs to get.
Especially at the Mont where it's all teams rather than solos.

Usually, a faster rider will know where they can jump around safely.... they don't want to crash into you either.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
That's fine. But at least let people know you're passing... And I reserve the right to disagree with the assessment of "suitable" passing spot if I've ended up off the track.

Anyway, that's a minor whinge! It's bloody awesome that that many riders can all ride together and 99.999% be super friendly :) the atmosphere was great!

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
That's fine. But at least let people know you're passing...
Of course you don't be a dick about it and you don't go and scare the other rider either....
It's easiest if the rider being passed just holds their line as is

ChopSticks

Banned
I'll admit to being a race virgin, and God I felt bad for the guy who almost crashed because of me....
I was slogging up one of the hills, ready to pass out/chug. I knew someone was behind me and I wanted to let them pass.

In my mind I said to myself "Go left Norm and let the guy pass on the right" but my mouth said "Go Left"..... which almost caused an accident! :frusty:
Luckily there was enough room for him to pass on my far left.
From then on... I kept saying "Go Right" and just pulled to the left no matter where I was :)

Also LOL at the roadie trying to pass me on not 1 or 2... but 6 occasions on the ST.
I gave him plenty of room, even did some proper off roading into brances, locks, and rocks to let him pass, but he just couldnt pull it off. :pound:
He finally managed on the fireroad, but I quickly caught up to him on the DH section... before he disappeared again on the uphills :faint:

a few team mates said they encounted the race leaders who were being dicks, shouting "RACE LEADERS MOVE OVER"........ despite being unsafe to pass :noidea:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Of course you don't be a dick about it and you don't go and scare the other rider either....
It's easiest if the rider being passed just holds their line as is
Paul Van de Ploeg passed me in a race one day. He was hauling ass and just went off the trail and just smashed straight through a tree. This poor tree didn't stand a chance and it sounded like car accident as the tree just exploded.
"Thank you" he shouted as he continued trying to rip the bars out of the stem.
Most impressive.
I really like this approach if it's done correctly. You really need to be motoring so people don't have time to react. Less chance of them going the wrong way then.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I'll admit to being a race virgin, and God I felt bad for the guy who almost crashed because of me....
I was slogging up one of the hills, ready to pass out/chug. I knew someone was behind me and I wanted to let them pass.

In my mind I said to myself "Go left Norm and let the guy pass on the right" but my mouth said "Go Left"..... which almost caused an accident! :frusty:
Luckily there was enough room for him to pass on my far left.
From then on... I kept saying "Go Right" and just pulled to the left no matter where I was :)

Also LOL at the roadie trying to pass me on not 1 or 2... but 6 occasions on the ST.
I gave him plenty of room, even did some proper off roading into brances, locks, and rocks to let him pass, but he just couldnt pull it off. :pound:
He finally managed on the fireroad, but I quickly caught up to him on the DH section... before he disappeared again on the uphills :faint:

a few team mates said they encounted the race leaders who were being dicks, shouting "RACE LEADERS MOVE OVER"........ despite being unsafe to pass :noidea:
You'll never enjoy racing if you're pushing yourself so hard that you're almost passing out/spewing on the hills..... although there were not really any big climbs at the Mont...... ride at a comfortable tempo that you can maintain and you'll start to enjoy it. I always say to a nervous riding buddy/sometimes team mate that it's just another ride in the forest with new mates, where someone is timing you......
What sort of lap times were you doing? I had a crack on my 2nd lap and went sub 52min but knew that I couldn't maintain that sort of pace for another 4 laps and eased off a bit......

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Same. I like slowly catching someone & then replying to the "do you want to pass" question with "nope - just fine back here, you are pacing me beautifully!".

Klips

Likes Dirt
It's funny how there's a few situations for passing - ranging from worst to best as passer, they were (for me):
  1. they get out of the way in advance
  2. you're coming up fast behind them, and smash past before they really know what's going on
  3. you're coming up not much faster, but they let you past
  4. you're coming up not much faster and they make you work to overtake them by either not slowing down or speeding up while not giving you any space
  5. they actively block you in the middle of corkscrew until you've asked them thrice, then four times by name because it's on their plate and they're going so slow you can still easily read it, then called them a fuckwit before they pay attention to you

Thankfully most of them were up the top end rather than down the bottom. While I'm not going to win the whole race (particularly in a 3 man), everyone is out there trying their best and when you're actively hindered it's very frustrating.

ChopSticks

Banned
What sort of lap times were you doing? I had a crack on my 2nd lap and went sub 52min but knew that I couldn't maintain that sort of pace for another 4 laps and eased off a bit......
LOL.... we're talking apples and oranges mate.... my fastest lap was a 1hr 11.......... far slower than you, and in a different league :hail:

I'm in the fat and super unfit category where I literally chug if I push too hard (which I was)

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
Yep I'd feel like a dickead to hold some faster person up for 20 see who had trained their butt off to try and make that times. On the other side, there is an onus on the passer to not fcuk around get round the rider. I was riding support for juniors so we were passed a fair bit and I'd get well off olin advance and let my rider know. It would be annoying sometimes that's the passer would just cruise by leaving us to struggle on the side. Generally though a great vibe-most people get it.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
LOL.... we're talking apples and oranges mate.... my fastest lap was a 1hr 11.......... far slower than you, and in a different league :hail:

I'm in the fat and super unfit category where I literally chug if I push too hard (which I was)
At least you're out there having fun.
BTW I recon I'd weigh in a bit heavier than you and I'm only 5"10...... I could stand to lose close to 10kg.

Patio

Likes Bikes
I did more overtaking than letting riders pass and didn't have any problems, just one guy determined to claim his bit of track for 30 secs or so.

I only call "Track" only when I know I'm in a position to overtake. This could be from 2 metres to 22 metres from behind depending upon the speed. Generally I let the rider in front make the call for when and which side unless there is an obvious line and I know I can get past off the track or it's gonna be close and fast like coming off those fire trail into single track situations. Occassionally you come up behind a rider and there is not really anywhere to pull over or pass. In these cases I try to put the rider in front at ease by telling them "When you're ready and it's your call". I find this works well for me and haven't copped any flak or had any accidents. WRT to being passed if I hear or see a faster rider coming up I will pull over ASAP no point in holding them up. I know where I fit in the big picture!

Overall the race vibe was really good. Only heard of a few minor incidents.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
I think its also important to remember that following someone for 5-30secs doesn't mean you lose 5-30sec - at worst its probably 2.5-15secs and that's only if they're traveling at half your pace. In reality the difference is probably a lot less.

I also believe that if you can ride your bike back to camp at the end of your lap then you've probably left more than 2.5-15sec on the track all of your own accord - so we shouldn't get to antsy about that delayed overtaking opportunity.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everyone was very polite and friendly in my experience. Had a few convo's with people as I caught my breath sitting behind them.

There was a guy who refused to let me past on the first downhill for 3-4 minutes, had me riding the brakes the whole time. Ended up just screaming on your left and hitting a jump into a berm to cut him off. He swore at me and I shouted sorry, but I put 200m's on him in under a minute.. so he probably got the idea.

I didn't get passed in my first 3 laps, but bonked really hard on my 4th and got taken by 20-30 people. By that point (mid morning) everyone was up for a chat. Did have the leader's group come through, one of which ran a girl off the track after I told them it wasn't safe to pass. Bit disappointing because they should know better.. but rubbing is racing.

notime

Likes Dirt
I think its also important to remember that following someone for 5-30secs doesn't mean you lose 5-30sec - at worst its probably 2.5-15secs and that's only if they're traveling at half your pace. In reality the difference is probably a lot less.

I also believe that if you can ride your bike back to camp at the end of your lap then you've probably left more than 2.5-15sec on the track all of your own accord - so we shouldn't get to antsy about that delayed overtaking opportunity.
This is exactly right, I would go further and say that we would make that few seconds back up within the next few minutes anyway if everyone is relaxed about the passing move.

ming

Likes Bikes
I only call "Track" only when I know I'm in a position to overtake. This could be from 2 metres to 22 metres from behind depending upon the speed. Generally I let the rider in front make the call for when and which side unless there is an obvious line and I know I can get past off the track or it's gonna be close and fast like coming off those fire trail into single track situations. Occassionally you come up behind a rider and there is not really anywhere to pull over or pass. In these cases I try to put the rider in front at ease by telling them "When you're ready and it's your call". I find this works well for me and haven't copped any flak or had any accidents. WRT to being passed if I hear or see a faster rider coming up I will pull over ASAP no point in holding them up. I know where I fit in the big picture!
I certainly agree with this. Coming up behind a much slower rider, my preferred option is to time it so I can whizz past off the track. Call out 'stay on the track, I'm coming past on the right' and both parties are happy. If there is no-where to pass, start a conversation, keep it friendly.

On the other hand, is there a polite way to say "I would really like to go fast down Beer Garden, and if you don't slow down for a moment to let me past then I will probably kill one of us as I try to overtake over a jump..."

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
what is it with the roadies hate here.

They are having a go at MTBiking.....

you blokes make us seem as arrogant as they are. Were better than that.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
what is it with the roadies hate here.

They are having a go at MTBiking.....

you blokes make us seem as arrogant as they are. Were better than that.
No roadie hate here - bloody wish I could climb like that!!! I got out of their way on the ups, they got out of my way on the descents and it all evened out :p

My next toy will be a Giant Defy Advanced Pro (they are finally putting actual brakes on roadies now! woo.), I'm certainly not prejudiced (but I draw the line at those silly rim brake things...).