Mont 24 advice

notime

Likes Dirt
some guy pulled a 0:46:48 in the SS class...... was that you Ackland?

fastest lap (i can see) is a 0:37:58
That lap was Dave. It was ridden on a SS Surley steel full rigid touring bike with mismatched wheels, he would have also been wearing a flanno and footy shorts no doubt.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
SB was out of place for 80% of the track... and the 2.25 nobby nic and 2.35 hans dampf was most definitely the wrong choice.
WHY U NO THUNDER BURT? Geeeez....

some guy pulled a 0:46:48 in the SS class...... was that you Ackland?

fastest lap (i can see) is a 0:37:58
Nah I would have been sub 40 chopper.... HA!

Never done the Mont.... got a call yesterday about jumping on a team of 4 for next year though... definitely one on the bucket list

ChopSticks

Banned
WHY U NO THUNDER BURT? Geeeez....

Nah I would have been sub 40 chopper.... HA!

Never done the Mont.... got a call yesterday about jumping on a team of 4 for next year though... definitely one on the bucket list

had a nightmare weekend with tyres.... tore my nic after 1 lap, and snapped the bead on the Ralph. Burt was at home (thinking it might've been too XC lol)
so ha no choice but to run Hans/Nic

hahahaahah you're prob a sub 35'er :p

DO IT ! you'll kill it man!
I am however curious to hear of the numbers for the 2015 mont, given this one was postponed. Surely many people will think 'ohhhh its abit close, maybe we'll just wait for the next one" ?

ChopSticks

Banned
Get another team together for the JetBlack 24 at Annan Chops and I'll see you there
no way in hell am i riding Mt Annan!
It's the track I hate the most in all of Sydney. So much climbing for ZERO reward! boring track that should suit people who have legs and can climb for all eternity.
really not my cup of tea!

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no way in hell am i riding Mt Annan!
It's the track I hate the most in all of Sydney. So much climbing for ZERO reward! boring track that should suit people who have legs and can climb for all eternity.
really not my cup of tea!
I would agree with this

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
How about the brake bumps by Sunday morning !

It's a great track with the best finish of any track anywhere - although nearly met my maker on my final lap about one minute from the end :yuck:

Traffic was pretty heavy at times - I reckon the 500 teams is max anyway. 2015 will be way less, and suspect that sellout 24s will never happen again . Too much choice of races to do these days.

And I'm sure the ticket price will go up $80 in order to pay for cancellation insurance ! Lol

Klips

Likes Dirt
How about those two fucking gigantic holes in beer garden. You could have fit a keg in each of them! Glad I'm not on the team who get to do repairs, although I may volunteer this time.

I actually didn't find traffic too terrible, there were so many spots to go past (although occasionally you had to run people like Chops over) and I really only had one dickhead in the 7 hours on course who wouldn't let me pass.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
That lap was Dave. It was ridden on a SS Surley steel full rigid touring bike with mismatched wheels, he would have also been wearing a flanno and footy shorts no doubt.
You would have cringed at his attire Steve - Euro budgie smugglers, tri cap and ski goggles on the first lap, pink onesie on another.....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You would have cringed at his attire Steve - Euro budgie smugglers, tri cap and ski goggles on the first lap, pink onesie on another.....
Oh fuck, I remember the pink onesie - there was something quite ignominious about being passed by someone dressed like that.

Kudos for the output rate of the coffee van. Thumbs down for royal hotel serving up Carlton draft - wtf do they think hipster mountain bikers drink?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
People with microphones need to accept that they are nothing but annoying.

People who are still saying "hashtag[insertsomethingstupidhere]" shouldn't be given microphones.
ROTFLMAO! So right, I was so sick and tired of hearing this guy calling out and trying to embarrass people riding in the event centre without a helmet, I just had to stay away - 4 minutes couldn't go by without this numpty carrying on. But heh, I got a a freakin awesome contour HD camera and some great lezyne stuff for the weekend so who am I to complain.... : D

mrc

Likes Bikes
I had a great time, despite knees giving up a bit. Thought the course was great, good mix of everything, even if there wasn't anywhere to just have a rest. Was a lot of pedalling, and cornering. The descent around midway was fantastic fun, and the last 2km was great also. The first 5km in general was fun riding too.

It certainly got rougher as the race went on, brake ruts in particular, but that just increased the fun factor I thought. I found I got a lot better at the corners by my last lap, and fun factor got even higher. Was running a Nobby Nic 2.25 up front, and had to keep dropping pressure for grip. Wasn't sure it was the best tyre for the course, but I'm on a bike I haven't ridden a hell of a lot (and new to 29" also) so I think it might have just been a confidence thing more than anything else.

- Good effort by Pink onesie guy!
- I think the injury during the night was a fellow who slid off the long elevated ramp. (the 2nd one). The way he was holding himself, I suspected a broken collarbone. He was OK, and had a lot of medicos helping. Hope he's OK. Those ramps got a few people as they dewed up.
- I thought the last photo spot was a bit dangerous, over the rock staring at the camera to be greeted with another bunch of raised rocks immediately post that. I'm surprised I didn't seem more people stack it there
- Coffee van was great, also full points from my crew for the Schnitzel guy.

Looking forward to next year.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
- I thought the last photo spot was a bit dangerous, over the rock staring at the camera to be greeted with another bunch of raised rocks immediately post that. I'm surprised I didn't seem more people stack it there
- Coffee van was great, also full points from my crew for the Schnitzel guy.
Cant wait to see the photo's from that last point, plenty of airtime to be had! Speaking of which, do we know who the photographer was and where the photo's will surface?

Schnitzel van was awesome!!

Great event :)

Klips

Likes Dirt
Photos are by aurora images, last year they went up on Thursday I think? I heard them say they had over 60,000 captures to get through, including tagging by race number then tagging the unidentified riders by outfit and bike, so there's a boatload of work to do.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
How about those two fucking gigantic holes in beer garden. You could have fit a keg in each of them! Glad I'm not on the team who get to do repairs, although I may volunteer this time.

I actually didn't find traffic too terrible, there were so many spots to go past (although occasionally you had to run people like Chops over) and I really only had one dickhead in the 7 hours on course who wouldn't let me pass.
+1 on those holes, and the deep drifts of dust holding rocky surprises... One of the beer garden holes got me a beauty on my first night lap, and then again on my second (said a silent prayer of thanks to Fox engineers as the fork sucked up the hit like a champ) - the fucker seemed to hide well under lights!

Passing was pretty good, but as more of passee than a passer, I can more attest to dickheads refusing to just bloody wait 20 seconds for a decent spot...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Passing was pretty good, but as more of passee than a passer, I can more attest to dickheads refusing to just bloody wait 20 seconds for a decent spot...
Interested in this - I only got passed maybe 5 or 6 times a lap and everyone was cool, but after a fair few of these sort of races I have an approach which is if I'm approaching at twice your speed and I can see a spot off the trail ahead, I just let them know to stay on track I'm going past on the right/ left, then Thankyou . People who have little experience, and no knowledge of how competent or not the rider is behind can give bum advice on when to pass. It's often easier IMO for the person behind to make that decision, let the person know what that decision is, then thank them on the way past - successfully done, both riders don't have to slow, and if it goes tits up, it's the passing rider who should end up in the weeds ( me at least a couple of times bunny hopping logs, rocks clipping trees etc).

The only times I hear of problems in the mont is when someone slow gets someone behind who won't overtake and you end up with 6 or 8 people in the conga line right on each other's wheels and a fast rider has to try and negotiate a heap of people instead of one.

Oh, and fucking fit roadies who held you up for 5 minutes in the single track, you pass them, then they monster past on the firetrail only to go back to their terrified ways as soon as they spy a rock - they are the only riders that piss me off!

PS love the guy who when asked if he wants to pass, says no buddy, you passed me 5 minutes ago, all good! :D

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I had one twerp not even tell me he was there - a fast kid who came up quick and the first i knew about was me having to take evasive action... My instinct was to avoid a collision so I hit the skids and went for the bushes - in hindsight I should have shouldered the prick into a tree and kept going...

But it can be annoying to get little or no warning - you might think there is room coming in fast from behind, but I thinks it's good manners to let the passee be involved in the decision. I did play passer a few times as well, and it never occurred to me to not wait for acknowledgement of the passing request.

One guy said passing on your left and then passed on my right - but we figured it out without crashing and we laughed about it as he apologised and admitted brain fade :)

And then there are slow buggers who ask if you want to pass - just when you were grateful for the excuse to back off and cruise for a bit! Then of course you have to pass and the excuse for slacking off goes away...